• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pensacola for IFS/API

TxSNA2013

fixing to commission and I am still wondering just how exactly I am should go about finding a decent place to live while in PCola. ive been getting good gouge about API itself but I still need more information on finding roomates, good neighborhoods near NASP, etc.....

Any help would be much appreciated!

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
If you want to be really close to base, then live in countrywood, austinwood, or the marina condos, all of which are about a 2 minute drive from the back gate. I lived in countrywood, and thoroughly enjoyed the convenience of being an 8 minute drive from building 633. If I had to do it all over again, I probably would have lived over the bridge on perdido, which is about a 10-15 minute drive from the back gate, but you will also find tons of beachside condos and houses for rent. Use zillow and other local realty sites to see what's available.

MGoBrew11

pilot
Perdido Key is an awesome place to live.

Check out Lost Key condos or Banana Bay. Nice places, affordable rent, 10 min drive to Florabama and 20 min drive to building 633. 1 mile from a really nice beach and on a golf course too.

FastMover

NFO
None
I lived in Countrywood and really enjoyed it. Great staff, nice pool and a small gym. Only downside was the long drive out to Pensacola Beach, but Perdido is right there and the beach on base is nice as well.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Is there any restriction from signing a long term lease out the back gate and then moving if you go to whiting? I would make sure you aren't going to get screwed by that.

Napper

Diggin' the PNW
pilot
All you need is 35 miles (from your house to Whiting) to get out of your lease. Works out to just a short ways outside of the main gate to the East... back gate and beyond is all safe.

Sonog

pilot
The convenience of countrywood/austinwood really goes a long way if you're in a-pool for a while. It's also about 25 minutes from florabama, 30 minutes from downtown pcola, about a $25 cab ride either way.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
First off, love the OP's user name. Please don't let him change it when he goes MPRA or Helos.

To answer his question, I'll toss out a nomination for downtown PCola or East Hill. It's a maybe 15-20 min drive to NAS PCola, but that's not bad. Not sure how often they are mustering there, but if it's still the weekly muster and otherwise phone muster for those with stash jobs, that's easy as cake. And, you can walk home from the bars. Never underestimate the value of this.

Perdido is basically beaches and like, what, 3 bars? Not a lot to do out there. My friends there always had to carpool and drive the 30-40 minutes to downtown on the weekends. Same, same for going to the mall or getting dinner.

Regardless, I'd reccomend getting roommates and saving some coin while you can.

Achilles

That dog won't hunt, Monsignor!
pilot
I lived in Perdido with the expectation of moving to Milton when I started Primary. I loved Perdido, only time in my career I've ever been about to live in a high rise condo a mile from the beach. The commute to work was pretty short, about 10 minutes. The drive downtown and/or cab ride home tended to be painful, but I lived in Perdido late Spring/early Summer so there was plenty to do and enjoy out there.

WEGL12

VT-28
Since this subject came up, does anyone know places to avoid living in the Pensacola/Milton/Pace area? My wife and I are looking to rent a house between the two NAS so we don't have to move until after primary (assuming I get primary at Whiting). Never spent much time in these areas and want to avoid any bad sections down there.

A Day In The Life

pilot
Since this subject came up, does anyone know places to avoid living in the Pensacola/Milton/Pace area? My wife and I are looking to rent a house between the two NAS so we don't have to move until after primary (assuming I get primary at Whiting). Never spent much time in these areas and want to avoid any bad sections down there.

Don't live on a lettered street.

croakerfish

pilot

I live at the Crossings and it's great. 35 minutes to either base, maybe 40-ish minutes coming back from Whiting if the rednecks are out clogging the roads.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
There are more areas to avoid in between than there are to live. Pace is fairly safe, but a long drive to mainside. The 9 mile area where the Target and University of West Florida are is a safe bet as well and it evenly splits the two. There are a lot of SNA types living there.

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
Oh and op, change your goddamn username unless you want undue harassment. On second thought, leave it as is, it will be funnier that way.