• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PDQ'd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hartman

Greg, I think the bottom line here is that it’s difficult to predict how the board will react to an individual application and to predict how long it will take them to respond. As RC mentioned, he knows of a person who’s been waiting six months for a response on their medical waiver and of another who received a waiver after little delay. All I can say to that is that I think 6 months is excessive. Check out the CNRC’s homepage…I think it mentions something about average response times.

If your DOCTOR recommended you for a waiver during your physical, then I personally feel that you’ve made it over the largest hurdle in the waiver process. In your case, you’ve had multiple doctors re-confirm that you don’t have asthma. The important thing to remember is that a doctor’s recommendation for waiver is more or less an opinion that states “This guy is worth taking a chance on if he’s a good enough candidate otherwise.” In my opinion, this is why the power of granting the medical waiver is ultimately left up to the board. Just because another guy’s recruiter says that he’s never had a request for medical waiver go through doesn’t mean that it’s an impossible feat for you. That recruiter’s candidates’ qualifications may have not amounted to a pile of beans.

In my case, I’ve been recommended for a waiver on my PRK surgery. I’m going balls out and submitting the whole darn thing packet at once. I feel that I have a pretty strong application and I’m not worried about my vision. If the board rejects my application because of a medical reason associated with my vision, then I will be ready to appeal. What the hell else do they need to know? I’ve been recommended for waiver during my physical.

Anyways, my point is don’t let yourself get discouraged. According to the information you have provided, it’s obvious that you don’t have asthma. If you’re a good candidate, you’re going to get the waiver. Keep trying!!!

DMan

Vic,

I'm originally from Hong Kong, I've been in the States for 10 years and I consider myself an American and a patriot. Becoming a pilot has been a dream for years though. I will submit my naturalization paper in two weeks when I'm finally eligible, I've dealt with the INS for years (it's pain in the butt as you probably know). And yes, I'll make sure I save all the copies and receipt and will probably call them every 3 months to check.

BTW, when you did your naturalization, did you do it through the military? I mean did you qualify based on military service (Navy, I believe?) and did you mail it to the Nebraska INS office? That's where I'm gonna mail to.

I'm a reservist with the Marine F/A-18 squadron in DC so I have access to pilots. Most of them, especially the CO and XO, know me so I asked about 5 of them to write me letters of recommendation, hopefully it'll help me get the age waiver. I have a pretty good record as a Marine (Company Honor Man in MCT-Marine Combat Training and Honor Grad. at AD/Powerplant C school) so I'm keeping my fingers crossed, I'm going for Marine Aviation (Oohrahhh!) . I've taken the flight physical and I should get my result today as a matter of fact. I'll take my ASTB and PFT next month after I come back with my squadron from a det in Hawaii.

What about you? Where were you originally from? Are you from Germany or are you stationed there? Where did you go to college? I went to Univ. of Tennessee (Go Vols! Beat the Gators! I know there are a lot of Florida grads or students here in this forum, especially with a Navy ROTC unit there. But you guys suck, sir! lol jk). You mentioned in your profile you have a SNA slot for March 2003 OCS. Can you give us any insight or pointers for the application process, being a prior-enlisted man like me?

Anyway, good luck with your preparation for OCS and everything. The soonest I can go to OCS is summer 2003 in Quantico, so I sure will have to call you sir first! Haha!

DMan

Vic

Your MOM!
pilot
DMan,
Unfortunetly, They didn't have that when I applied over 5 years ago. When I first applied, I applied in San Diego. Everytime my appointment came up, I was deployed or unavailable.

I'm sure that the Marines are easier to deal with, as far as the age thing. You should be fine.

I'm from Mexico. I've been an unofficial American for 18 years and serving my country is all I want to do.

I'm in Germany.

My laptop is out of power, let me post this and I'll finish when I get home.

Don't sweat the small stuff!

Stegall

Sometimes the "don't ask don't tell" policy is applicable to your physical. I have a slight arrhythmia, and did NOT report it during my physical in Bethesda. The EKG came up with something, but I've never really had a problem. A doctor said it was normal for women my age and I passed the physical with flying colors!

So if it hasn't been a problem in years, don't say anything! Childhood asthma? If I were you I'd not offer that and just see if it affects you later, say at OCS.

Just my two cents, though.

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
I'm getting a little pissed off here:

I went to MEPS almost 2 months ago. At MEPS, the doctor said he had to disqualify me for childhood asthma, but that he would recommend me for a waiver because it's no longer an issue. At this point, all Navy personnel told me that my medical records would be automatically sent to Tennessee for waiver consideration.

So I assumed that my records were in Tennessee and my waiver was in the "waiver line" waiting to get considered for the past 2 months.

Yesterday my recruiter calls me up and says: "We sent your waiver request out on Monday, and it should take about a month."

Does that mean my waiver request has been sitting on someone's desk for the past 2 months???

Can anyone really explain the process for a medical waiver? Am I getting the shaft here? I certainly feel like it. The rest of my application package is very competititive.

Thanks in advance for any insight on the waiver process.
-Greg

P.S. I've read that the "waiver board" meets once a month. Does anyone know any specific dates?

Edited by - airgreg on 07/11/2002 08:43:34

airgreg

pilot
quote:
I'm thinking that "childhood asthma" is one of those things you just leave off of your application....

I'm thinking that I'd rather be honest and not worry about it stinging me in the future. It is well documented in my medical records even though 2 doctors have recently told me that I do not have asthma. It was misdiagnosed.

Anyway, my original question was about the waiver process (see my last post). Does anyone have any insight on the medical waiver process? How long should it take, and when does the board meet?

Sorry to beat this one to death, but I'd appreciate any help here because the recruiting office has been telling me conflicting things. Thank you in advance,
-Greg

kraemer77

To All of those with questions about Asthma waivers:

I am a former enlisted marine who received a PEB for asthma. After I was discharged I started investigating the asthma diagnosis and found out that I in fact did not have asthma. I then turned around and tried to reenlist in the marines and was eventually granted a waiver despite the PEB. I decided not to reenlist and continued with college. I am now trying to turn in my kit for SNA and have run into the same problems many of you are experiencing. My recommendation is this:
1) do the methacholine challenge-private or through MEPS it doesn't matter who does it--once you have a negative test it will always be negative
2) see as many pulmonologist as possible. Get as many positive consults as you can--I have a total of three independent pulmonary consults from various sources, which all state the same thing--and very conclusively--that I do not have, nor did I ever have asthma.
3) research--I have become the resident expert on asthma. I have researched every possible source on how asthma is diagnosised and treated. Keep this in mind--the Navy's Flight Surgeon Manual bases a vast majority of standards on the National Institute of Health standards.
4) Finally, and like others have mentioned--work on everything else in your kit and make yourself competitive. Your motivational statement, recommendations (I got a recommendation from a Senator)your application, ASTB scores, and PRT. Don't fret over the time it takes to get the ball rolling--you can be doing other things to help out your cause.

If any one has questions or would like all of the information I have amassed over the last couple of months please do not hesitate to email me at kraemer_st@hotmail.com . I can email you URL's, fax, and give you other information I may have overlooked. Good luck to everyone out there having to deal with this little roadblock.

Kraemer77

marti

I've got a question for the people out there that are prior service. When I joined the Navy I filled out the medical paperwork and stated that I did not know if I had asthma as a child. It was a stupid mistake made by a 17 year old kid who was a little nervouse and didn't want to lie. Nothing was ever said about this and the doctor just took it as an I don't know/no answer. Well, fast forward four years into the future. I'm out processing from the Navy with no thoughts of ever returning, and while we are getting ready to fill out the same form stating all medical history we are told that if we have ever had anything,or thought we had anything, any ache, any pain, any discomfort that if we did not disclose it in our seperation physical that we would never be able to make a claim to the VA. So, like a Jackass I put an X next to the asthma column on the sheet. I had completely forgotten about this until I was looking through my personal paperwork and found the mistake. Now my question is do they review your microfische when you send in your packet? Since I have never been diagnosed by a doctor and have only my stupidity to blame for saying I had asthma am I completely screwed or what? I think I know the answer here, but I would like to hear what a few of you think before I decide to divulge this to my recruiter. THANKS

Vic

Your MOM!
pilot
Marti,
Everyone makes mistakes. You just X'ed the wrong block. Don't let that put a damper on your plans.

Don't sweat the small stuff!

airgreg

pilot
Kraemer77, thanks for the advice. Really appreciate it.

Do you have any insight on how long the whole waiver process takes?
Best of luck to you,
-Greg

SmithS

While we're talking about being PDQ'd, anyone know anything about age waivers for SNA? I'm 26 now, got accepted for OCS in January. I was going in July but now I'm not going till November. I'll turn 27 in January, get commissioned in February, does anyone know if this is going to be a problem for me? My recruiter says not to worry, but I'd hate to get there and then they tell me I have to go home. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.