• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PCS to Corpus Christi

Status
Not open for further replies.

mandmsam2

We just found out that we are going to Corpus Christi and I had a couple questions:
1) We have kids and the Navy lodge in Corpus Christi is telling us that we have to get two rooms. This isn't a huge problem, but aren't there any other Temporary lodging facilities there? When we PCS'ed to Whiting Field, there were nice 2 bedroom apartments that they had for families, is there anything like that in Corpus Christi, or Kingsville maybe?

2) How are the Flour Bluff schools?

3) How is the housing? Anyone have any pictures?

4) Is there any advice that we should know about?

Thanks, Any help is appreciated.

EngineGirl

Sleepy Head
I remember not too long ago there was a post regaurding Corpus in the Private Spouse Corner. If your not a member, you might want to become one and check it out. There was some really good info for people moving to Corpus (there are several there).

-Erin Leigh

NFOwife

Aviator Spouse
You should be able to stay in the BOQ at Corpus. Our room had a queen size bed in a seperate bedroom, and a pullout sofa (your kids could sleep there) in the living room area. It was about $14/night.

-I don't know much about Flour Bluff schools (However, you don't have a choice of schools in Flour Bluff district- there is 1 k-2 school, one 3-5 school, 1 middlee school, and 1 high school though), but I will tell you that what is considered to be the "best" school in Corpus school district is Mireles Elementary, in the Southside area on Yorktown and Cimarron. Check out the private forum for more info on where to live, but if schools are your #1 priority, I'd look for a place to rent in that area (it's the area where we live, and we're only about a 15 minute drive to the base). Good luck!

mandmsam2

Thank you for the links. Does anyone know if there is a wait to get base-housing there? I had called but they wont really give us an answer. Thanks for the advice on the school I will take that into consideration. It has been awhile since I have been on this forum and anyways just want to tell everyone hello again! Things have been a little crazy ever since OCS graduation. We moved to Pensacola with follow on orders to Whiting but have been given a chance to change those to go to Corpus. The wait for API here is very lengthy but if we go to Corpus it is much shorter. So it is a little nerve racking but I am hoping we will like Texas! We will be there around the first of October and if anyone has any more experience with the schools there I would love to hear about it. I have one in kindergarten and two third graders.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I dated a teacher when there and she had nothing good to say about flour bluff schools. It is not really a good part of town from what I remember

Jester

pilot
PCS to Corpus

You should see about staying at the BOQ (Batchlor Officers Quarters) I think it is only $15.00 a night and I believe they allow children. We just moved from Corpus to Meridian. I did not like Corpus at all. But we had old housing and they are just finishing building new housing which is very nice and roomy. Everything is brand new. Carpet, walk-in closets, nice kitchen space. Flour Bluff is really run down so if you could find a school more in town you would be better off. At the family Service Center they will have lot's of info for you about schools and stuff. The area outside of base is really run down and there isn't a whole lot to do with kids or without. They do have really good peds on base. Good luck, I hope your not there too long.

mandmsam2

Thanks Jester for the info! So if we decide to stay in base housing can we choose the school we want?? Or do we have to go to the one in that district?

NFOwife

Aviator Spouse
If you live on base, you will be in the Flour Bluff district and have to attend Flour Bluff schools. If you live out in town (Corpus) you will be attending your school of zone for where you live. Or, you can go to a private school, there are lots of religious private schools in Corpus.

lynnie2183

P3 Wife
Corpus Housing

My husband and I came to Corpus about 6 weeks ago. The base housing here is terrible. It is very old and you can not get into the newer housing unless you have already been living in the old housing and get upgraded. There might be something available, but they won't tell you about it until you get here and check in.

We rented an apartment out on the island, but that would be too small for you and your family. Flour Bluff schools are ok, but the schools on the south side of the city are better. The area is sometimes referred to as Country Club, because it is close to CC Country Club. Luther Jones elementary is very good and in a nice neighborhood. My mother in law is now the principal at Ella Barnes elementary, and that is a good school as well in a neighborhood close to the base, but not in Flour Bluff.

Some people have had luck finding a place to rent through a company called Pacesetter Steal real estate management. I cant find their webpage right now, but there are some great posts about finding a place in the private spouses corner.

Most people who move into Flour Bluff are not happy. On the outside, it looks like an ok neighborhood, but there is a fair amount of crime, vagrancy and a general lack of commitment to making one's home or neighborhood very nice. Its hard to put it in a nice way, but Flour Bluff is probably not the best place to go for your family.

Good luck

Lynn

mandmsam2

Thank you all for the information! -- We just found out a few days ago we will be staying here in Milton for Primary so now I have no worries. The best of luck to all of you out in Corpus! :)

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
The Flour Bluff schools are great. I wouldnt want to live in flour bluff as described above, but the schools have great teachers and scored high on national testing. My daughter was in kindergarden there and she had a great teacher. The Navy Lodge and BOQ are the same building. THe only difference is the price you pay. Be sure to let the office know that you are pcs'ing. THere is a big difference in what you pay. Also try to get in the wing at the Q. They were rebuilding them and the new rooms are much nicer than the old ones. Also housing was great to us. There are tons of youth programs on base. Basketball, Soccer, and a youth center for kids to play at after school. There is also the Texas State Aquarium out in town. We got the military family membership, so my wife took the kids there quite a bit. Overall, there isnt a lot to do in Corpus, but you can make your stay there enjoyable. The beaches are dirty at times and the water is nothing like P'cola but its something to do.

Well here is info for others headed to Corpus. Have fun at Whiting.

SWOdogJon

Enlightened follower of the SWOness
I am stationed in Ingleside, but I live in Corpus right next to NAS. I have an awesome apartment that is right off of SPID and right on the Bay. A lot of aviators live here, in fact I know most of them from OCS. If you can't get base housing right away, you should be able to get a nice apartment in the vicinity.

smellyheather

My fiance and I are going to Corpus in early september and I am having to find us a house to rent while he's in API. I'm having the hardest time finding rental houses, does anybody know of any? :confused: Heather

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Houses are hard to find. However, there are tons of apartments right out the front gate right on the bay. Forgot the names but right out the front gate make a right going towards down town and you'll see them on the right.

Status
Not open for further replies.