• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PCS Orders Funding Delays

NastyPrior

pilot
I wanted to get some input from people who have recently PCS'd. How far out from your PRD did you get your hard copy orders? It seems that each time I PCS the window is getting smaller and smaller. The detailer is telling me two to three months out is the new norm. I recall orders being in hand five to six months out in the past. I'm no sea lawyer but I assume there is an instruction that governs when PERS is suppose to give members their orders. I don't understand how quarterly funding requirements have an effect on turning verbals into hard copy orders. No money is spent until the member actually starts the PCS process.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Colors of money, my friend. When hard orders are written, the money is committed and moved into an different pile. Most piles of money are tracked by quarter.

To answer further, I never did get more than a couple months between hard orders and PCS date.

NastyPrior

pilot
The old different pots of money catch all. Not to rag on your comment squorch, which is probably 99% true, but it seems that cutting orders without funding, just to show that the destination is set, would not be an issue. Sure, there are line items in orders that define what pot/quarter of money the funding is coming from, but if that money is not yet available, cut the orders anyway and leave that line item TBD. Once the funding comes through, PSD can enter the appropriate information. This method would cut down on sailor waiting on orders, wondering if they are going to change, repeat contact with the detailer wondering where their orders are, and give families the comfort of knowing where they are going so they can find a house and schools.

Pags

N/A
pilot
That's what verbals are for. Your detailer should also be able to give you insight as to where your orders are in the approval process and whether they're set in mud, firm jello, or stone.

hscs

pilot
That's what verbals are for. Your detailer should also be able to give you insight as to where your orders are in the approval process and whether they're set in mud, firm jello, or stone.
Mud, firm jello, or whatever semi-cured form of solid doesn't matter.

I have seen the rug pulled out from people too many times.

I will not lock in to a place to live or tuition for schools if public schools are subpar until I have hard copy orders. The short turn increases the family stress immensely (particularly in the current rental market) that I get boxed out of a rental in a good school district or lose a spot in a reasonably priced private school (or both).

Pags

N/A
pilot
Mud, firm jello, or whatever semi-cured form of solid doesn't matter.

I have seen the rug pulled out from people too many times.

I will not lock in to a place to live or tuition for schools if public schools are subpar until I have hard copy orders. The short turn increases the family stress immensely (particularly in the current rental market) that I get boxed out of a rental in a good school district or lose a spot in a reasonably priced private school (or both).
Agreed on all counts.

My OCONUS orders were cut two months prior to my PRD. Didn't leave a lot of time to get no-fee passports, family entrance, etc, etc. oh and kid #2 showed up the same day as my orders. I get the family stress bit.

The husband of Mrs Pags best friend is at PERS right now and the friend is complaining that they won't get orders to leave PERS until a few month prior to PRD. And this is for a guy on the inside!

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Pags, when was that? We had a bit of an issue with our first OCONUS move because we couldn't get any of that started, but for the most recent (in progress now) were told the Navy has started doing letters of intent, though that might only be for OCONUS. The point was to allow the family to get started on the screen, apply for no-fees, etc., before orders were issued. Husband ended up getting his orders for a July move in November so the LoI wasn't necessary, but unless that was bad gouge, it seems like maybe the system has been improved to take away at least a bit of the OCONUS suck.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Pags, when was that? We had a bit of an issue with our first OCONUS move because we couldn't get any of that started, but for the most recent (in progress now) were told the Navy has started doing letters of intent, though that might only be for OCONUS. The point was to allow the family to get started on the screen, apply for no-fees, etc., before orders were issued. Husband ended up getting his orders for a July move in November so the LoI wasn't necessary, but unless that was bad gouge, it seems like maybe the system has been improved to take away at least a bit of the OCONUS suck.
My OCONUS move was in 12 so it's been awhile.

hscs

pilot
I think they will do LoIs for only the overseas moves due to the extra paperwork. I tried to get some for a few guys for an in CONUS move and was denied.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Everything mentioned above may be true, but is complete bullshit. Asking ANYONE to arrange a PCS move with less than 90 days until transfer (and adequately take care of their families) is irresponsible and speaks volumes about BUPERS.