• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PCS orders for SWO candidate to Newport

tan

Hello, I've used the search the engine and have no joy in finding the answer to my question. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone would know what kind of orders a SWO candidate would get for going to Newport. Does Newport consider an intermediate station? And that I won't get a follow on orders until week 8 of training, is that correct? Do I actually get to speak with a SWO detailer or just pick orders out of a dream list?

Spookcumber

Take this for with a grain of salt, but I was told by my chain that it will indeed consider Newport as an intermediate duty station and for Intel, they'll do a PCS to our school in Virginia Beach (though they weren't sure if this was just for people with dependents or not). They weren't too sure about the follow on orders though for after the school and when those come down so if anyone has any more insight that would be great!

tan

Take this for with a grain of salt, but I was told by my chain that it will indeed consider Newport as an intermediate duty station and for Intel, they'll do a PCS to our school in Virginia Beach (though they weren't sure if this was just for people with dependents or not). They weren't too sure about the follow on orders though for after the school and when those come down so if anyone has any more insight that would be great!

I found out my answer the hard way. A SWO candidate gets PCS orders to Newport fully funded with/without dependent. BAH rate is set to Newport area ($1500). A SWO candidate will get a dummy billet as SH1 with Newport staff UIC. Once dream list is finalized within the class at about 10th week mark, it will be sent to SWO detailer for detailing. A new set of orders will be released upon graduation. Although this seems like a good deal, but it actually didn't work in my situation.

Renegade One

None
...what kind of orders a SWO candidate would get for going to Newport. Does Newport consider an intermediate station? And that I won't get a follow on orders until week 8 of training, is that correct? Do I actually get to speak with a SWO detailer or just pick orders out of a dream list?
You guys/gals are WAAY smarter than I ever was. I only expected three hots and a cot and everything else would be revealed in it own good time. Which it was.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You guys/gals are WAAY smarter than I ever was. I only expected three hots and a cot and everything else would be revealed in it own good time. Which it was.
Interweb's fault. Most information is now available on demand...anytime, anywhere. Kids these days don't know any better.

Crewguy02

MT1/SS
I found out my answer the hard way. A SWO candidate gets PCS orders to Newport fully funded with/without dependent. BAH rate is set to Newport area ($1500). A SWO candidate will get a dummy billet as SH1 with Newport staff UIC. Once dream list is finalized within the class at about 10th week mark, it will be sent to SWO detailer for detailing. A new set of orders will be released upon graduation. Although this seems like a good deal, but it actually didn't work in my situation.
Sounds great to me. My family won't be coming up but I'd like to see the increase in BAH

jg54170

OCS JAN12th
My orders were only intermediate, my family was left in place and BAH is continuing at the rate where they are. Once we get orders they will be ultimate duty station orders and my family will PCS. I am up here now, ship selection list comes out tomorrow so I am pretty pumped about that.

ironhead79ltc

Awesome to see another BM1 there turning two...I hope to be there soon just waiting on my final select. My family will be staying in San Diego while I attend as well.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Awesome to see another BM1 there turning two...I hope to be there soon just waiting on my final select. My family will be staying in San Diego while I attend as well.
AW BM1 twins ironhead791ltc & jg54170: Congratulations on your OCS selection, and the opportunity to class up together. Back in my era (50s/60s) , the BM rate was so closed, that the average BM1 would be at, or close to retirement. Making E-6 'Boats' in 7-8 years was unheard of!:eek:

Well done Sailors, and best of luck on your new career track.;)

BM1s, you have come a long way... Baby!:D
Old Salts.jpg
BzB, prior ET2 (SS)

Spookcumber

My orders were only intermediate. . .

This is good information - thank you! Since OCS is intermediate then, for a person with no dependents, do you think it would be wise to pack up and move everything into a storage facility until you get PCS orders, or would that be more of a hassle in the long run (not knowing where you'll PCS, when you'll PCS and be able to move your stuff, etc.)?

tan

I had to get an ORDMOD because the way they wrote my orders were less ideal to my dependents and the Navy. Apparently they write orders differently for Sailors stationed in CONUS and OCONUS.