• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PCS/DITY Question?

FLY_USMC

pilot
So everybody always tells me how much $$ you can make doing a full DITY move to your next duty station. I haven't had the ability/time to do anything but a partial up until now, so I'm curious, what's the best way to do a full DITY? What's been your best luck? Renting a Uhaul truck and blasting down the road? I have a truck with a tow package on it, but don't know where you can rent trailers big enough and enclosed to move the wife and I's gear, easily 5K lbs worth. Just looking for a little guidance before I up and play my cards. My wife and I have moved our stuff countless times before the military, hence never wanting to do it again and letting the military take care of it, BUT, extra $$ is tempting me.

OK, next question, after reading more posts, is renting a Uhaul trailer...single axle...and loading the stuff that I don't want totally f'd up into it AFTER the movers have boxed it...aka partial dity...a good idea? Any advice is great, I think that's what I'll probably do. Partial dity, towing a Uhaul to save some stuff and get a little extra $$.

nugget81

pilot
I did a full DITY from Phoenix to Corpus Christi with a little over 10K pounds of the wife & I's stuff (she has a ton of books...literally). We rented a Budget 26' truck with car trailer. I checked Penske, Uhaul, and Ryder also, but this time Budget came in cheaper. We spent just under $2K up front (for the truck, gas, hotels, food, moving supplies, etc), but got a check for $6K after taxes a couple months later.

To be honest, the move sucked because we have SO much stuff, (of which we donated a crap load to goodwill when we got here--I still have a cloth couch and loveseat set that needs a good home, though). In the couple of weeks after the move, I swore that I would never do a full DITY again, but then the check came in....so I'm undecided at this point.

Some of the guys I know did partial DITY's and had a good experience with it. I don't have any figures on their take, but generally speaking they said they'd do it again that way.

Advantages of a Full DITY:
Money
All of my stuff made it in one piece because I packed it the way I wanted to
No extra miles on the car

Disadvantages:
1. Cost up front
2. Driving a big ass truck for 1200 miles in two days (spare me the ORM lecture)
3. Packing and then unpacking all of the stuff we own
4. Trying to find the time and help to do items 2 and 3

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I think your biggest problem would be finding a tow trailer to haul all of your stuff. For a 5k net load you'd need a really big pull trailer with all the accessories. Most companies like Uhaul don't rent that big, but if you look at commercial companies you may be able to lease a trailer instead of renting from Uhaul, etc.

The movers probably won't pack your stuff for you to move on a partial dity, unless they're just really nice. That's the point of the "partial", the govt is reimbursing your for your time and effort to move part of your own stuff, so if the movers packed it they'll more than likely have to take it, not to mention they'd be doing work they weren't getting paid for.

You're correct though, partials are the way to go, it takes minimal effort on your part and you still get a really decent check for your move. I personally think unless you've got gobs of time on your hands or your single and own very little, do a partial dity and get some $$, even if it's just gas money.

cisforsmasher

pilot
Im sure you have heard of this but for the others considering moves, here are a couple other options. My brother just did a POD move. They dropped off a POD, he filled it with his wife. The company picked it up in NY and dropped it off in PA no problem. It was a couple days but no big deal. It ended up costing about the same as if they were to rent a truck and drive it. Another option is an ABF Upack move. http://www.upack.com The website can do a much better description but the short story is that they drop off a trailer,you fill it up, and one of their professional drivers takes it your new location on as part of their normal deliveries. They will charge you according to how much space you take up in the trailer. It is supposed to be very cost efficient for long distance moves. I almost did it to move from pcola to corpus but for other reasons I chose to uhaul with a car trailer. I have a little experience driving large vehicles but that car trailer was a tremendous pain in the ass. Never again for that. Partial from now on for sure.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Does anyone know how important exactly are the gas receipts when doing the partial DITY? i kept a few for my move from jax to whidbey (brief stop in San Dog to see family) but i'm such in the habit for not always printing the receipts or tossing them that i dont have every receipt from every gas station . Is this how they prove you actually did drive from A to B? If not, I'll be in good shape. But if someone could confirm this, please help me. Thank you guys!

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Does anyone know how important exactly are the gas receipts when doing the partial DITY? i kept a few for my move from jax to whidbey (brief stop in San Dog to see family) but i'm such in the habit for not always printing the receipts or tossing them that i dont have every receipt from every gas station . Is this how they prove you actually did drive from A to B? If not, I'll be in good shape. But if someone could confirm this, please help me. Thank you guys!

It's been awhile, but I don't think they care how much gas you use. I think they pay you 90% (or is it 95% now?) of how much it would have cost them to move you. They use the formula

weight X distance X price/lb

The weight comes from your weight ticket, the distance from the Table O' Distances, and the price/lb from their contracts with carriers.

I just ran an example using the calculator that FLYTPAY posted, and it confirms my methodology. It also says you get paid 95% of the cost. However, it also says
The tax amount can be reduced by providing valid receipts for allowable deductions such as the cost of a rental vehicle, packing materials, moving aids, tolls, and gasoline.

Meaning if you turn in your gas receipts and other such stuff, they will reduce the amount (profit) which they withhold at 25%.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
2. Driving a big ass truck for 1200 miles in two days (spare me the ORM lecture)

No ORM lecture from me. I left Cherry Point at noon on a Friday and pulled into Yuma at about 0600 on Sunday. All local times. I stopped twice to sleep by the side of the road for a couple of hours. By the time I got here I was pounding Mountain Dew with a dip in, smoking cigarettes (at the same time), and cranking Mexican polka on the radio to stay awake. Very stupid move, but I got here.

As to the original post, you can make some decent $$, but it's like having a $5/hour job. Lots of work. You'll definitely earn that money.

You get far more money for the effort by doing a partial DITY. Basically, they pay you to move the stuff you weren't going to trust with the movers anyway. That's the way to do it.

insanebikerboy

pilot
None
Contributor
It's been awhile, but I don't think they care how much gas you use. I think they pay you 90% (or is it 95% now?) of how much it would have cost them to move you.

The one time that the gas receipts do matter is if you use more gas than they think you'll use. In that case, you'll get back all of what you paid, but you won't "make" any money in the deal. Reference; me and my Jeep CJ-7 driving 3000 miles from Maryland to Monterey. Needless to say, 12-14 mpg doesn't really do it for fuel economy.

One thing some people forget about is oil. A partial DITY will also reimburse expenses for changing engine, transmission, and differential oils.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
The one time that the gas receipts do matter is if you use more gas than they think you'll use. In that case, you'll get back all of what you paid, but you won't "make" any money in the deal. Reference; me and my Jeep CJ-7 driving 3000 miles from Maryland to Monterey. Needless to say, 12-14 mpg doesn't really do it for fuel economy.

One thing some people forget about is oil. A partial DITY will also reimburse expenses for changing engine, transmission, and differential oils.

I don't understand what you are saying. The Navy pays a set amount, right? 95% of what they would have paid to move your crap. Whether or not you make a "profit" is up to you.

Are you talking about PCS travel? As opposed to PCS HHG/DITY?

insanebikerboy

pilot
None
Contributor
Threadjack: What year CJ do you have? I had a '79 a while back. Greatest vehicle I ever owned.
/Threadjack

I've got an 80, at least that's the frame. The parts on it range from a 75 up to a 93. As much crap as the wife gives me, I'll never get rid of this thing!

I don't understand what you are saying. The Navy pays a set amount, right? 95% of what they would have paid to move your crap. Whether or not you make a "profit" is up to you.

Are you talking about PCS travel? As opposed to PCS HHG/DITY?

For a partial DITY, say for example your expected pay out based on the Navy's tables/calculators is $700. Now, you drive some sort of hybrid and it only costs you $200 in gas/tolls/etc to get from A to B. Now, take my Jeep or some other gas guzzler, and say it costs you $750 in gas/etc.

So, in the hybrid car example, you get reimbursed for your gas and you "make" $500 since that's the difference. With my Jeep, you get the $750 since that's the actual cost of your move (the one time having the receipts really is important) but you don't "make" any money off the deal. Plus, one thing some people don't realize is you actually get taxed on that $500 in the hybrid example, but they can't tax the Jeep example since you didn't clear any money. That's why it is a good idea to toss in any receipt that you think might be associated with the DITY. That way it reduces the total amount of tax you pay. Granted, in this example tax on $500 wouldn't be much at all, but with larger amounts the receipts reduce the amount of "extra" money.

Clear as mud? :icon_tong

heynowlookout

pilot
Contributor
Another example since I just got my DITY check this week.

Govt Cost 1252.68(What the govt would have paid to move the weight)
Entitlement 1190.04(95% or whatever % it is the govt pays you to move it)
Less Move Exp 314.68(Gas, Tolls, Boxes, Trailor rental, anything claimable)
Taxable Income 875.36
Federal Tax 218.84(25% taxable income)
Payment to Me $971.20(Entitlement - Tax)

By claiming the gas and other expenses you reduce your taxable income and increase your payout. So by providing deductions I saved about $160 in taxes(25% of $875 instead of 25% of $1190). As I see it there's no reason not to do a partial dity since you're paid mileage for your travelclaim and then can take a deduction on your dity for the gas money you spend to travel that mileage.

As far as gas receipts, I also lost some of mine but included a copy of my credit card bill with all the gas purchases highlighted and I'm pretty certain I got the full cost deducted from my taxable income.

MasterBates

Okay, the confusion here is maddening.

Heynow got it right (I have done 4 DITY moves in the last 12 months, I am pretty well versed)

For a Partial, you essentially get 2 checks. One for your PCS travel claim (should have DLA, MALT, Per Diem) and one from the HHG Goons.

You get paid a rate per pound regardless if you move it my POV, rental or Bactarian Camel.

Whatever expensed you get, you can claim to reduce your "profit" and therefore taxes.

Snake with 300 pounds in an Evo is still going to get 30mpg in a car burning 87 at $2.89 a gallon.

Me pulling 3000 pounds (in addition to the mighty Puma) is lucky to get 12 burning Diesel at $3.34 a gallon.

We both get the same per pound, but I get much more. (using NQI-NGU as my example).

I get $3400 (pre tax) turn in $600 worth of fuel/supplies receipts and get taxed on $2800 of it.

Snake gets $340, with $100 in expenses (there are some "small load multiplers" for the rates, but I am too hungover to get into that right now).

He is taxed on $240.