• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pcola = Joint (backseater) Meccah with standup of 479th TFG (for USAF CSO pipeline)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
New Combat Systems Officer course opens in Pensacola

by Capt. John Severns
Air Education and Training Command Public Affairs

5/5/2010 - PENSACOLA NAVAL AIR STATION, Fla. -- Air Force aviator training took a huge step into the 21st century Wednesday, when the inaugural class of Combat Systems Officer students began training here with the 479th Flying Training Group.

As they sat down in classes this week and began a new year-long training program, the CSO (pronounced "Sizzo") students became part of a fundamental transformation of Air Force training that started in 2002, when then-Chief of Staff Gen. John P. Jumper ordered a redesign of Air Force navigator training.

"With the CSO, we are taking the best of three programs - navigator, electronic warfare and weapon systems officer - and combining them into a single training pipeline that will produce skilled, effective aviators able to meet the needs of combatant commanders," said Col. Richard M. Murphy, 12th Flying Training Wing commander, at Randolph Air Force Base.

The CSOs being trained at Pensacola are part of a new generation of aviator envisioned by General Jumper nearly eight years ago. Rather than specializing as navigators, weapon systems officers, or electronic warfare officers, CSOs will be trained in a common set of core skills and will be responsible for a high degree of airmanship to include advanced air operations, electromagnetic spectrum exploitation and aircraft weapon systems employment, according to Lt. Col. Jason S. Werchan, the 479th FTG deputy commander.

After graduating with their wings, CSOs will often serve as mission commanders, working with the aircraft commander to maintain situational awareness of their environment and successfully complete their mission, whether they find themselves flying on a fighter, bomber, special ops, ISR, or mobility platform. The common skills gained at the new training will help prepare CSOs to fill any of the roles once filled by navigators, WSOs or EWOs.

The training course the new CSO students will attend includes some major changes, including a significant increase in hands-on flying, according to Colonel Murphy.

"The CSO of the future will hand-fly the aircraft during training on certain profiles," the Colonel said. With increased airmanship, he said, "they will know how to react at critical phases of flight to any kind of change in the environment or new developments in the mission.

"The ultimate goal is to create a more situationally aware CSO," he said.

The CSO course at Pensacola will include 38 sorties in T-6 Texan II and modified T-1A Jayhawk trainers. These T-1 aircraft are uniquely modified platforms that are tailored to meet the specific multicrew training requirements of the CSO mission. The T-6 training will focus on crew resource management, aircraft handling, aerobatics, low-level navigation and instruments. After completing that phase, students will move on to training in theT-1, where they will incorporate electronic warfare skills, advanced navigation, and air to air intercepts into actual aircraft training missions.

The T-43, currently used to train navigators at Randolph AFB, will retire at the end of the fiscal year and will not be used for CSO training.

For training on the ground, CSO students will conduct 40 missions in T25 advanced navigation/electronic warfare simulators. These simulators are able to replicate the unique operational capabilities of aircraft across the service that a CSO might someday find themselves flying.

The 479th FTG became the 12th FTW's newest group in October, when it started operations in Florida as part of the 2005 Base Realignment and Closure Committee directive to relocate Air Force navigator training from Randolph AFB to NAS Pensacola, where the Navy conducts its Naval Flight Officer training. With the stand-up of the new group, nearly 35 percent of the 12th FTW is now located in Florida to include over 120 civil service maintainers.

"With so much of our wing now operating at a geographically separated location, communication and leadership is more important than ever," Colonel Murphy said. "We want our students to know, wherever they may be going through training, that they are still part of the 12th Flying Training Wing."

pix051010cso_campus1.jpg

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
I am impressed at the AF's level of dedication to training with respect to staffing. They've pumped more senior officers into their CSO crystal palace and not just retirement home types either. They also acquired a lot of talent from the AF types in the adjacent VT's. They're going to do some good stuff there. Also, step briefs were given by 0-4/5's...(that's analogous to a SDO)..interesting.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So, will these guys branch during CSO training, like at VT-86? The article makes it sounds like everyone is going to receive the same training. Are their EW guys going to follow on training like our guys at Corey Station (I heard it was still open) or will everything be done prior to winging?

All in all, it does sound like the AF is getting this one right. I can't help but think it was inspired by the years of experience sending their guys through Navy NFO training and more important , the instructor and command types that came through Pensacola.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
That training building is/will house the EW training courses, i.e. SCIF type certification. Open-storage for classified material, no windows..only decent come-back us Navy folks had was "that's gonna put a dent in the likelihood of keg-r-ators..."

Still there's something neat about our shitty WWII era hangars...lead maybe?

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
I took a few classes at the AF base at Hurlburt Field a few months back when I was stashed waiting to start API. One of the AF Majors was talking to us about this. Its good to see its actually happening.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
so that's why all those T-1s just started clogging the pattern... Seriously though, good to see them starting up, their student pool/instructors have definitely helped liven up the O'Club.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
Is it just me or is having an entirely separate facility and command not really "joint" just because it's on a Navy base?

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Their ops here are definitely kept separate, (I don't even know if I could get into that secret squirrel academic building they have) but they've really made an effort to be "joint" on the social side.

Gator NFO

former TACAMO NFO
None
Also, step briefs were given by 0-4/5's...(that's analogous to a SDO)..interesting.

Experienced this during my second Inst Nav tour at the 562nd FTS. It was expected for O-4s to get the Ops Supervisor (SDO) qual, and a handful of O-3s did it based on their ground job. It always seemed backwards to me.

The current CO of the 455th FTS in P'cola is a good dude. He did an instructor tour in one of the P'cola VT squadrons. When he came through the 562nd during my second tour, I flew with him several times during the instructor training phase. I think he's definitely picked up on the Navy way of not being so uptight about the little stuff like most USAF folks I know.

magnetfreezer

So, will these guys branch during CSO training, like at VT-86? The article makes it sounds like everyone is going to receive the same training. Are their EW guys going to follow on training like our guys at Corey Station (I heard it was still open) or will everything be done prior to winging?.

Negative - all training will be identical. Students will go through IFS in Pueblo, then class will start out with flight/survival academics, go to T-6s for contacts/forms/LL/possibly instruments, then T-1s and the new EW simulators: http://www.blueridgesimulation.com/images/pastperformance/t25sect.jpg. In T-1s they will have a synthetic radar (TCAS-based air intercepts and a module that takes the current FMS position and simulates a radar picture based on terrain database/likely additional 3D modeling) as well as EW sims in the back (similar to the 2 student consoles in the T-39N).

All students will have a mix of strike/air intercept/EW/low level/instrument sims in the second phase; 1 student will be up front in the jumpseat with a pilot + instructor NAV in the jumpseat; 2 more students can be in the back receiving simulated EW/threat training from another instructor. The program is pegged at 10-11 months right now with the typical AF hard scheduling (philosophy similar to Vance but with less harassment - don't remember formal release for the 562nd/563rd guys at Randolph). At the end you can select anything from AWACS navigator to RC-135 EWO to F-15E WSO.

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
Why do you guys find it odd that O-4s and O-5s would be performing the "squadron operations supervisor" role? That is standard for AF flying ops.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Not odd Hack, just different. We'd brief at the VT space with the instructor and stud(s), then brief again with the contract pilot in another space, then one more step brief from the Ops Supe. Studs are harrased during briefing and the level of expectation is high, just like everywhere else. Usually, the step brief was weak (Supe unsure of gear configuration, aircraft assignment confusion, crew manifest inaccuracies, etc). This was all natural given the embryonic condition of the program. The supe had no idea where/what we were doing regarding profiles so we weren't sure of the value/purpose of a "brief" that mostly caused confusion. This occured just prior to preflight, and seemed to interrupt the build-up to the event. Does that make sense? It didn't help that I knew most of the AF instructor JO's who went over to the AF side that were STAN types that got shit on by some of these same 0-4/5's.
I'm sure that was mostly due to the detached nature of the Navy squadrons, contractors and the AF.

I'm also sure that it's much improved by now.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not odd Hack, just different. We'd brief at the VT space with the instructor and stud(s), then brief again with the contract pilot in another space, then one more step brief from the Ops Supe. Studs are harrased during briefing and the level of expectation is high, just like everywhere else. Usually, the step brief was weak (Supe unsure of gear configuration, aircraft assignment confusion, crew manifest inaccuracies, etc)....
I am confused. There are now three separate briefs proper to any training flight? How long does this take? And this Ops Supe guy, is he the SDO or is it some other watch duty responsibility to be filled by JO instructors? Back in the dark ages our VT briefs were as much like the real world as possible, no extra hoops to jump though. Do they do this briefing death march in pilot training too?

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
My info is now two months old. But, since the AF had OPCON of the T-1's, all events flown with that aircraft required step briefs from the Supe. It's already overkill with 2.5+ hours of briefing at the VT space, plus the contractor (HESA) brief (20 mins usually min), now a step brief of 10 minutes (which usually elicited the confusion above) was required because we walked on a Air Force ramp with AF assets (the T-1).
I will say this, the AF are the ones who stepped up and insisted on over-the-shoulder training and stuck to, which is why they have a program that is solidly based for the future.
I hear the we're getting 39's back in the air this week but only for another year then it'll be a T-6 Texan II syllabus straight to T-45's.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What is "over the shoulder training" and what is the purpose of the Supe brief? Can the Supe turn away the stud and say "thanks for playing, try again."? Is he just making sure there is a flight plan and weather brief or asking the EP of the day? If that is so, then my current high regard for the new AF program will be highly damaged (Navy too?) .