• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PC Flight Simulators - Good, Bad, or Ugly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ironnads

I'm a CFI,CFII, and MEI. I believe that flight sims are excellent for practicing instrument skills and also for practicing emergency procedures (especially in a multi before practicing an engine out drill in the air). As far as the PC based sims go, I think that these are really helpful for keeping your instrument skills sharp. Try to always make your practice as realistic as possible though. If you use a kneeboard in the aircraft, use a knee board while on the sim, etc.

Travis Alexander

vballindaytona

I so yes and no. To learn how to fly? no.
But certain aspecs, like learning instruments, learning how to shoot a vor, ndb approach, ils, those kind of things, learning how they function, learning to hold, I say they would be good for representation before you go in the air to do them for the first time. I believe that would give the student a basic visualization of what is going on rather than a CFI drawing it on a chalk board. When i was at ERAU I did a report that I found in the newspaper, saying that a guy going through military flight training who had never flown before had logged like 500 hours on a flight sim game, and after his first flight the instructor said he was ready to solo. I don't buy it, but who knows considering how technical those games are getting.

Jonathan

Status
Not open for further replies.