• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esper

As I filled out the 'Why I desire to become a Marine Officer' essay as part of my PLC Aviation Application, it felt right. And I definetly didn't even mention money / financial outlook, if I was most interested in that I'd take advantage of my engineering degree and stay clear of the military. . . . I am being too long winded, let me get to the point.

There are people, knowledgeable of the military, who say that going for fixed wing in another branch would most likely be the better decision. Because you would get better 'benefits'. Better lifestyle, better pay, better training (naval aviation, one paratrooper claimed, is the most highly regarded/respected aviation branch), better chance of getting a fixed wing at all, etc.

So, marines / soon to be marines / former marines, I turn to you.

Do the other branches recieve greater bonuses for flying? Details if possible.

Is the 'quality of life' really that much better for other branch pilots?

I know it's hard to give me anymore than a vague answer for this, but is it really that difficult to get on a fixed wing craft once you're in flight school through the marines?

Are Marine pilots (by reputation as a whole, obviously it's up to the individual in reality) second rate to their Navy brethern?

Does any of this matter?

jwnole

Marine aviators are Naval aviators. They do more difficult things when not flying. They are in no way second rate. In many cases they serve with the navy. In all cases they are first Marines, and second pilots. Marines are the best, right?

I thought so.

-jw

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Semper FI jwnole!

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.
-Col.3:23-

Adrenaline Rush

You cannot put a price on the title of being a MARINE. all else is secondary in my view

I'd Rather Be A Lion For One Day, Than Be A Sheep For A Thousand Years

It Is Our Duty To Protect The Best Nation In The World

davidsin

The first man to orbit the earth was a Marine (Correction is a Marine). He also became a senator. I don't call that second rate.

Semper Fi

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The bonus for all aircraft in the Navy and USAF is $25,000 per year. The F/W bonus in the USMC is $25,000 per year, while the R/W bonus is $12,000. Personally, I think rotors are a pretty good way to go, especially considering the type of fighting we'll be doing in the "War on Terrorism." Your chance of going fixed wing is soon going to be better in the USMC than in the Navy. With the passing of the Viking and the increase in littoral missions, the percentage of R/W pilots of the total is projected to go up to60-80% over the next several years. In the USAF, it's actually pretty difficult just to get a pilot slot AT ALL, though once you do, they have so few helos, you'll almost certainly go fixed wing (C-17s or C-141s maybe, but F/W).

To readdress another point, though, nothing about the Corps is second rate. Well, except our base facilities and MWR, but if that's what makes your decision for you, then we didn't need ya anyway!

Phrogs phorever

The Wiz

Marines are first in everything arent they first to go in to conflicts first to go into space.

"for He today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother" Henry V

Rainman

pilot
Originally posted by Esper

There are people, knowledgeable of the military, who say that going for fixed wing in another branch would most likely be the better decision. Because you would get better 'benefits'. Better lifestyle, better pay, better training (naval aviation, one paratrooper claimed, is the most highly regarded/respected aviation branch), better chance of getting a fixed wing at all, etc.
You need to look at who you're talking to. It is the same pay. It is the same training. Of course you get trained as a provisional rifle platoon commander. . and others don't. As already stated, you're becoming a naval aviator--nuff sed.

I know it's hard to give me anymore than a vague answer for this, but is it really that difficult to get on a fixed wing craft once you're in flight school through the marines?

If it is just fixed wing that you care about, the air force is your best 'odds'. Almost 50% (> 40, anyways) of Marines out of flight school select fixed wing aircraft for any given fiscal year.

Are Marine pilots (by reputation as a whole, obviously it's up to the individual in reality) second rate to their Navy brethern?
HA! Are you trying to start something? It is the same training (on the aviating side)
Does any of this matter?
It must. Really, your call. Quality of life, quality of training, pay, etc. . matters to most. Hope the responses help. Keep em comin.

jrklr

phrogdriver:
are helo pilots in the navy really going to be increased 60-80%? was there a reliable source that told you about this or just kind of a hear-say type thing? Thanks.

Q-ball

Marine CH-53E Pilot
pilot
Let's put it this way. In flight school Marines need at least a 35 NSS to keep on flying and to to eventually get winged. The Navt, on the other hand, has no minimum score. I knew some sailors who made it through flight school with an NSS as low as 25.
Helo's are going to increase in the navy. I read an article in "Wings of Gold", that talked about converting all of the navy Helo's to H-60 sierras and romeos. THey are going to start putting mixed squadrons of 10 helos with strike groups. The reasoning is that the main threat to the fleet nowadays will be smaller patrol type boats, and helos are better equiped to deal with that then jets.. Not many countries ahave a large navy anymore.

Q

Marine Helo Pilot

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
That percentage was given by one of the admirals at an aviation forum a few months back, and repeated by the TW-5 commodore.

The min NSS thing doesn't get waived in the USMC, but if they want a SNA to make it, they'll engage in "selective scheduling" with Santa Clause IPs to get him/her over the minimum. So, in theory we're tougher than the Navy. In reality, no.

Phrogs phorever

davidsin

Originally posted by phrogdriver
The F/W bonus in the USMC is $25,000 per year, while the R/W bonus is $12,000.

Woa that's a fat bonus...is that exlusively for aviators, or do NFO's get some kind of bonus too. I know this is kinda silly to ask, but that's on top of regular pay? What's F/W & R/W mean.
turtle_125.gif

-------------------------
Semper Fi

Status
Not open for further replies.