• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Paths for a Naval Aviator starting late?

av8r_

Hey guys. I'm new here, so I may be posting this in the wrong place, but I have a few questions about becoming a naval officer and hopefully a naval aviator. I am a 20 year old incoming college freshman. I worked for my first two years out of high school (to save up money for college) and I am just now starting my first year of college. I am enrolled at Averett University in Danville, Virginia for the fall of 2013. I picked them because they're nearby, they have a good basketball program, and they're known for their aviation program. So here is my plan:

To attend Averett University this fall and stay for 1 year. I would get my single engine rating and private pilot's license there and get my basic classes out of the way (math, english, history, physics, etc). Then I will transfer to either Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Daytona Beach, Florida or the United States Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland. I would join NROTC if I went to ERAU and hopefully graduate a naval officer. If I went to the Academy, I would obviously be on the same path, except I know that I cannot complete the Academy in 3 years. You have to go for four, so it would take longer then ERAU. After I graduate from either place, I will go to Pensacola, Florida for Primary, and then onto my other training if all this works out. I have a few questions though:

1 - Can you complete the NROTC Navy option in 3 years? If I transfered to ERAU for my sophomore - senior years, would I be able to do that?

2 - Do I still have a chance of getting a pilot slot even though I'm starting college when I'm 20?

3 - Which would you guys who have been to either one recommend? ERAU or the Academy?

4 - I'm also open for Air Force suggestions, but I prefer to go the naval aviator route

5 - Currently, I'm just working as an electrical engineer at the Pentagon and saving up for this fall. Is there anything I should do right now to help my goals along?

6 - What should I major in at ERAU or the Academy? At Averett this fall, I'm majoring in Flight Operations, but the Navy needs a Tier 1 - 3 major, so I'll probably go for Aerospace Engineering, since my eventual goal is to be an astronaut pilot.

7 - Any tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry for making this so long guys, again, I'm new here and just interested in what path you guys think I should take. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

- Lucas J.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
Starting at 20 is by no means late - there is always OCS. But you should probably try for NROTC or the academy. The selectivity of getting into OCS varies depending on manning requirements, etc.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
1. The navy does offer 3 year NROTC scholarships. Sometimes it is easier to just apply for the four year option. More of them available.
2. No problem. Just don't mess around. Get school out of the way in 4 years.
3. Maybe neither if it were me. But if you can get the NROTC scholarship ERAU. Otherwise it is too expensive for what you get.
4. No comment. Thought you were a player until you admitted that.
5. Don't do stupid shit. Make friends that can write a letter of recommendation
6. If NROTC or USNA it will improve your chance of getting in to go Tier 1 or 2. Otherwise, doesn't have to be flight, pilot, or any of that expensive stuff.
7. Don't do stupid shit. Get good grades and enjoy yourself.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
If you're going to do ROTC, there are a lot more fun schools to go to than ERAU where you can get an engineering degree. Your GPA and staying out of trouble (which doesn't mean not enjoying yourself) are going to be two of the biggest factors in picking up that flight slot.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
I picked up a flight spot (Marines) at 26 and still had school to finish. You're not really all that late. I didn't go there, but the majority of the people I know who went to ERAU wish they went somewhere cheaper and more fun. Particularly after meeting people who went to a state school in flight school.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I'm too tired right now to give this a good response, but basically I did the exact same thing you are wanting to do, and it worked out just fine. Minus the ERAU part....I decided that was not my jam, but I was 20 when I started NROTC. I was 29 by the time I got to the fleet though :)

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Pick a good school that you want to go to that has an NROTC unit. Don't waste you money on ERAU. The Navy will teach you how to fly the Navy way. No need to learn bad habits. So, find a good school with a good program, get good grades, enjoy NROTC and college life. And as stated above, don't do something stupid that will crush your chances of joining, ie DUI, drug charges, etc.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Another tip, don't go USNA unless you absolutely want to. If your end result is being a pilot, like others said, there are other ways to go. You should only apply to USNA if you want to go there and not for the end result. I'll be honest, it sucks at times. A lot. It's your desire to be there that keeps you going though. I enjoyed my time there, but it's absolutely not a requirement for service.

WEGL12

VT-28
6 - What should I major in at ERAU or the Academy? At Averett this fall, I'm majoring in Flight Operations, but the Navy needs a Tier 1 - 3 major, so I'll probably go for Aerospace Engineering

- Lucas J.

Just my opinion but if you decide you are going to major in aerospace engineering or any engineering, be very careful which classes you take before you transfer. If it's your goal to do one year at Averett then graduate after three years at another school, you need to atleast get most of your English/history classes completed along with calc 1, calc 2, chemistry and if you can manage engineering physics 1. Engineering majors are very dependent on the math and physics classes so in order to graduate in four years you need to knock out the math and science as soon as possible. I transferred after five semesters at a community college, even though I transferred in over 65 hours it still took me three years to graduate because I was lacking two pre-req classes when I transferred in. If I had linear algebra and the computer programming class finished before I transferred I may have graduated in four or five semesters instead of 6. It also didn't help that aerospace classes were only offered once a year.

Basically what I am trying to say is you need to decide what is important to you, graduating in four years or taking flight classes and major in engineering. I originally planned on getting my private and instrument ratings during my time at Auburn but I decided it was too expensive and required a large amount of time that could be used towards my major and my enjoyment of college. Many say having a private rating provides very little advantage come selection time. It didn't seem to hurt my package and I also won't have many bad habits to break once I get to Pensacola.