• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Path as a HS Sophmore....

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Guys, I'm just curious, can you get a 180k scholarship from NROTC to any school you want (i.e. non-ROTC offering schools), and then do OCS afterwards?

Google "BDCP". It is not part of the NROTC program, but it is what you are speaking of. You get selected, get a paycheck, and get college covered for. Does not need to be a school with an NROTC program (since this is a separate program). You would attend OCS following graduation in order to get your commission. Kind of a less well-known program, and it is very competitive.....and by all accounts I've heard, a really good deal.

Marines, please back me up on this if my specifics are off, but:

BTW, I heard something about a Marine program that is essentially ROTC, but gives you the option to go to OCS after college. I think they make you do certain activities throughout the year, but they cover your tuition and offer you a commission after graduating. I have no interest in jumping ship, but I'm wondering if there's something that USN offers akin to this.

PLC. You go to school, get it paid for, and participate in some activities throughout the year like you say. You then do OCS over the course of two summers, once between sophomore and junior year, and back for PLC-seniors during the summer prior to senior year.

exNavyOffRec

Google "BDCP". It is not part of the NROTC program, but it is what you are speaking of. You get selected, get a paycheck, and get college covered for. Does not need to be a school with an NROTC program (since this is a separate program). You would attend OCS following graduation in order to get your commission. Kind of a less well-known program, and it is very competitive.....and by all accounts I've heard, a really good deal.

PLC. You go to school, get it paid for, and participate in some activities throughout the year like you say. You then do OCS over the course of two summers, once between sophomore and junior year, and back for PLC-seniors during the summer prior to senior year.

BDCP is almost dead, they have slashed billets for it and it is unknown if they will make selections again.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
BDCP is almost dead, they have slashed billets for it and it is unknown if they will make selections again.

Sad, but that makes sense. It has always been explained to me that OCS (and thus something like BDCP) is just a control valve, that gets opened when the need for officers exceeds that which USNA and NROTC can provide.

exNavyOffRec

Sad, but that makes sense. It has always been explained to me that OCS (and thus something like BDCP) is just a control valve, that gets opened when the need for officers exceeds that which USNA and NROTC can provide.

BDCP was more of a tool to hook people when the economy is/was good.

OCS was thought of that, but really OCS/NROTC/USNA get about equal amounts of spots, what can change is if more than expected drop or from NROTC or USNA or billets go up, they can grab a few more for OCS, or if fewer drop or if billets drop they can get less from OCS, but overall it is about equal.

mataron

Naval Aviator, VP-46
pilot
BTW, I went to a SUPER liberal college, in a even-more liberal part of the country.

We had 1600 in my school, and no ROTC program. There were protests every week about so-and-so. I know people who went to Berkeley, and such, and are currently in the military, so don't worry about that.

Your college doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

OP, I wouldn't worry about attending a liberal college. I've been pro rec'd for OCS, and I went to UC Berkeley. FYI, it's a pretty liberal school, but not what most people think it is (UC Berkeley in the 60's).

LET73

choc18, I went to a tiny liberal arts college that no one has heard of (other than people in academia). I know two other Navy officers who also went to my tiny, obscure liberal arts college filled with super-liberal people. It's probably a lot like the college you're looking at. Don't base your choice of school on whether you think it will help you get picked up for OCS. If the school is the right fit for you, you will do well, and that's the important thing. It sounds like you're already on the right track. Good luck!

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
OP: the Navy cares more about the academic reputation of your school than its politics. If you think about it, the armed forces having a "politically unacceptable schools list" would look pretty bad in the Post.

choc18

Thanks so much for all the advice guys. I will look into BDCP, even if there's little chance I'd get accepted to it.

MonkUSMC

Playing the waiting game

PLC. You go to school, get it paid for, and participate in some activities throughout the year like you say. You then do OCS over the course of two summers, once between sophomore and junior year, and back for PLC-seniors during the summer prior to senior year.[/quote]

For the most part that is correct. PLC covers maybe $1500/semester, if you completed the 1st session of OCS, and you apply for it. It also adds 6months onto your contract. The activities I participate throughout the year is a monthly PFT at the OSO.

To the OP, it seems like your head is on straight. Just stay at it and don't let anything deter you from your path.

I've had a recently retired Marine Aviator advise me to at least take an instrument ground course before flight school. I'm really not sure if it's possible to do that before the private pilot course though.