• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Passport and Leaving the Country

blarged

ready
Does anyone have any experience with leaving the country / obtaining a passport while enrolled in the BDCP?

I will be going on a cruise this Christmas and need to obtain a passport. Since I will technically be Active Duty, is there any oddities that are involved in getting a passport? I assume I will need to let someone know (get permission) before leaving the country as well.

I don't think there are any issues with this, but wanted to check for past experiences.

Thanks

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
You go through the same procedures as anyone else getting a passport.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Get your passport just like any other civillian.... It is much cheaper if you don't have to have it rushed, so apply for your passport as early out as possible. All the info regarding that can be found online.

As far as BDCP business goes, you will have to fill out a leave chit and take leave since you are leaving the country (has to be submitted to your NRD and get signed by your chain of command). Check your leave balance on your Leave and Earnings Statement online to make sure you have the leave accrued.

Also, your COC may requre you to take some online training prior to taking leave. Definitely a few hoops to jump through so get on top of it early.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Ya, don't do like some of us did and leave a message with your recruiter that you're in Canada after you arrive there...

pensfan341

I have a somewhat similar question.

I am going to be applying for BDCP within the next couple of weeks. I had planned to study abroad during the Spring semester. How will this affect my situation?

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
I have a somewhat similar question.

I am going to be applying for BDCP within the next couple of weeks. I had planned to study abroad during the Spring semester. How will this affect my situation?

I have heard of that happening, but it is not the norm. Search on here (since that is where I had to have heard of it happening), and ask your NRD what they want (since they will own you, and it will be up to them). As to the OP, certain countries will require a brief before you can go, and certain countries are effectively off limits. When I was in BDCP I went to Europe, the NRD had no issues with any of the countries except Czech, which I just skipped and didn't have to deal with the brief.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You may get an "Official Passport" later in your career at no cost to you if you need to travel abroad on orders. It is brown and indicates you are on the gubment's dime. Should not be used as a tourist passport (blue)..

redsox06

BDCP SWO
I have heard of that happening, but it is not the norm. Search on here (since that is where I had to have heard of it happening), and ask your NRD what they want (since they will own you, and it will be up to them). As to the OP, certain countries will require a brief before you can go, and certain countries are effectively off limits. When I was in BDCP I went to Europe, the NRD had no issues with any of the countries except Czech, which I just skipped and didn't have to deal with the brief.

What was the issue with Czech? They seem to be one of the most pro-American countries in Europe?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
What was the issue with Czech? They seem to be one of the most pro-American countries in Europe?

So is Israel, and I doubt you could go there without getting a brief. Not necessarily always about allegience, but about probablility of danger/detainment by bad guys, whether or not they are gubment or local factions/etc.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
There is even a brief about Australia (not much to it though) and I'll go out on a limb and say pretty much every country in the world.

The DoD Foreign Clearance Guide <i>should</i> be your one-stop-shop instruction* for <b>active duty</b> travel abroad (IIRC it also references DoS and maybe other instructions). You can read it online with a .mil domain computer and you can find the website with Google. Not everybody in the military is familiar with it or has even heard of it, so you might need to ask more than one person in your chain of command. Rest assured it's well organized and easy to read- as simple as looking up your country and reading the "Personnel Requirements" section, and read the general personnel requirements section that applies to all countries.

Good luck and enjoy the trip!

*I believe it is "directive in nature"

pmasters

I just got done some OCONUS travel (Europe at large) while on BDCP. Filling out a leave chit is all thats necessary, as long as you don't plan on visiting suspicious countries.

It gets a little more complicated if you plan on flying Space A. Those closest thing to legit papers we can use is a authorization for travel for reservists, and then you pretty much have to charm your way onto base. Good times...