• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Passing DoDMERB and flight physical?

D

Deleted user cNaut

Are the medical records that you submitted to DoDMERB rechecked during the flight physical or is the physical it's own separate entity that is mainly just a hands on procedure?

The reason I ask is because I've been backed up by a lot of remedial requests in this whole DoDMERB process, regardless , I still do think there's nothing that could really disqualify me once they look through all of the documents I've sent in. My question is, if DoDMERB grants me a general qualification, is there a possibility that during the flight physical they will re-look at the remedial's and disqualify me for something that I was originally approved for? The thing that's in question is a very mild area of patchy gastritis that was found during an EGD, not even gastritis that requires any medication. The doctor said I'm entirely healthy. Some of the remedial requests were asking for the notes that the doctors took where I was complaining about some weird feelings in my stomach (which is why I wanted to get the EGD done). Turns out I was just being a hypochondriac because nothing of any worry at all was found.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted user cNaut

You have the opportunity to be disqualified at each an every flight physical you ever take.
thank you but do they look through prior documents that DoDMERB already approved you for?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That said, standards for applicants are not standards for students, which are not standards for winged aviators. There are things that would get all three disqualified, no chance Paddles, TYFYS. And there are areas where there is a bit more leeway for the fortysomething winged O-5 than the applicant fresh off the street. Applicants are always the same age. Winged guys and girls eventually get old, and sometimes stuff breaks.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Two different physicals and physical entities. DoDMERB is for military accessions only and NAMI for Aviation...
No shit, Sherlock. See @UInavy’s post about flight physicals and the OP’s response. You’re out of your element, Donny . . .

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
thank you but do they look through prior documents that DoDMERB already approved you for?

I have extensive experience with NAMI and flight physicals and from my experience, nothing from my DODMERB made it to OCS or past the initial accession into the Navy. When I arrived in Newport, everything was started over from a clean slate but you will have to bring all of your medical history paperwork. From there, the docs and NAMI will have their way with you and you could even be NPQ'd for shit you weren't even initially worried about.

D

Deleted user cNaut

I have extensive experience with NAMI and flight physicals and from my experience, nothing from my DODMERB made it to OCS or past the initial accession into the Navy. When I arrived in Newport, everything was started over from a clean slate but you will have to bring all of your medical history paperwork. From there, the docs and NAMI will have their way with you and you could even be NPQ'd for shit you weren't even initially worried about.

Thank you, this was the exact answer I was looking for. I'm honestly pretty worried that something like this will happen to me, especially with something like mild chronic gastritis. Even a brief history of gastrointestinal discomfort seems like something they wouldn't want to fuck around with and will just DQ me. Although, the doctor never prescribed me anything and just advised me to change up my diet. Additionally, I have absolutely zero symptoms today.

What would happen after the NPQ? Would I be sent home? Or could I still get my second choice as Infantry or Ground Intelligence.

Last edited by a moderator:

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Thank you, this was the exact answer I was looking for. I'm honestly pretty worried that something like this will happen to me, especially with something like mild chronic gastritis. Even a brief history of gastrointestinal discomfort seems like something they wouldn't want to fuck around with and will just DQ me. Although, the doctor never prescribed me anything and just advised me to change up my diet. Additionally, I have absolutely zero symptoms today.

What would happen after the NPQ? Would I be sent home? Or could I still get my second choice as Infantry or Ground Intelligence.

Don't worry too much; and focus on getting in shape and taking care of yourself so you're ready for OCS. The docs could NPQ you, they could run you through a bunch of tests in order to generate a waiver, or they could simply not see it as a problem. All of those things are out of your control, but the added stress will only make life harder for you.

Are you going to Navy or Marine Corps OCS? If you're going to be a leatherneck, then I have no clue. At Navy OCS, you'll be given the choice of either taking a medical discharge or seeing what's available. That seeing what's available could be great or awful, it really just depends on your timing. I have a BS in Mechanical Engineering and my class officer tried REALLY hard to draft me into the nuke pipeline but the only options I ended up with were SWO or SWO Nuke. I tried to go EOD, but the two OCS accessions the EOD community took that year were in the class behind mine (Great dudes, though). So, it'll all depend on if the Intel bubbas have room and want you but cross that bridge when you get there.

D

Deleted user cNaut

Don't worry too much; and focus on getting in shape and taking care of yourself so you're ready for OCS. The docs could NPQ you, they could run you through a bunch of tests in order to generate a waiver, or they could simply not see it as a problem. All of those things are out of your control, but the added stress will only make life harder for you.

Are you going to Navy or Marine Corps OCS? If you're going to be a leatherneck, then I have no clue. At Navy OCS, you'll be given the choice of either taking a medical discharge or seeing what's available. That seeing what's available could be great or awful, it really just depends on your timing. I have a BS in Mechanical Engineering and my class officer tried REALLY hard to draft me into the nuke pipeline but the only options I ended up with were SWO or SWO Nuke. I tried to go EOD, but the two OCS accessions the EOD community took that year were in the class behind mine (Great dudes, though). So, it'll all depend on if the Intel bubbas have room and want you but cross that bridge when you get there.

Thank you for the informative answer. Finally decided on USMC PLC, just waiting on these remedial's to go through DoDMERB (it has been a long process).

Oh so you had gotten NPQ'd at NAMI for Naval Flight and were given two choices? I understand you're differentiating between the nuke pipeline being for subs and SWO Nuke being it's own separate entity. Sub life doesn't seem fun lol.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Thank you for the informative answer. Finally decided on USMC PLC, just waiting on these remedial's to go through DoDMERB (it has been a long process).

Oh so you had gotten NPQ'd at NAMI for Naval Flight and were given two choices? I understand you're differentiating between the nuke pipeline being for subs and SWO Nuke being it's own separate entity. Sub life doesn't seem fun lol.

Yeah, SWOs and SWO Nukes are two different career choices and then they are both different than being a bubblehead, since all bubbleheads are nukes these days. I would have happily gone and been a submariner if I didn't have to go to nuclear power school, though.

And yes, I have the distinct privilege of being on a NAMI blacklist, but I received my first NPQ while at OCS in Newport, RI, and then was offered the chance to redesignate or take a medical discharge.