• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pass/Fail courses and Online Degrees (Plus two questions)

Napk1ns

Hey everyone, I have some questions I couldn't find the answers to using the search function.

Questions:

How are Pass/Fail Courses Looked at?
Planning on transferring 90 credits towards my online degree from SNHU which will show up on the transcript as "pass." These credits will be from a combination of tests and outside courses which can only be transferred as "pass." Since these will comprise three quarters of my transcript, I am curious to know how the Navy would look at this. Will they count it as a C-? Not care at all? At SNHU, these will not be factored into the GPA, but I am not sure if the Navy has their own way of calculating GPA

How are Online Degrees Looked at?
Along with this, the degree will be earned from an online institution (SNHU is regionally accredited by NECHE). Since online degrees are quite new, I have heard many employers toss them to the side and am concerned that the Navy will overlook me for an applicant from a traditional college. I'm sure the Navy will pick me over a Harvard grad, but will an online degree put me at a disadvantage against everyone else?

BA in Mathematics or a BS in Business Administration?
Bonus question: Looking for some advice on choosing a major. I'm on the fence between a BA in Mathematics or a BS in Business Administration, both of which I am equally interested in. I feel I could get a higher GPA in Business (3.5+ or so) compared to an estimated 3.0-3.7 in mathematics (I'm not the best "mather" but find it fun). These GPAs will be completely dependent on 10 courses, most of which will be from major courses. I understand the Navy does not care for majors when selecting SNA or SWO applicants (fields I am interested in), but I have also heard they look more favorably on those who have STEM degrees. I have also heard there is a tier system in NROTC (Engineering, other STEM, everything else) and was curious if this was the same for OCS applicants. Because of this, I am at a crossroads on which to pick.

Does the Navy care for what you minor in?
Bonus question #2: Does the Navy look at minors? Say I were to pursue a major in business admin and a minor in mathematics (vice versa). Would that look better than simply majoring in one subject and nothing else? I would have to take a few extra courses which would cost a few dollars, but if it would make me more competitive, I am more than willing to put forth the extra dollars. It would also be a good compromise pursue my other interest.

Thank you in advance. Please let me know if these questions have been answered already and where I can find the answers. Quite new to the forum and still finding my way around it.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
  1. Focus on getting into college. If you have community college classes that you are transferring, then that's good. Those will be factored in by the college you attend more than likely, which will have their own way of calculating your GPA.
  2. Focus on a commissioning path, i.e., will you be doing NROTC or going to OCS. NROTC is not offered online, so if you want to do NROTC then you need to go to a brick and mortar school. If you are set on doing OCS then you'll be competing with enlisted folks from the Fleet who more than likely have online degrees or degrees earned through other non-traditional means such as night school.
  3. There is a tier system with STEM degrees being preferred. More importantly, make sure your degree offers the necessary math and science classes needed to commission. Also, a low GPA in a STEM field will be looked at more favorably than a low GPA in a liberal arts field.
  4. Choose a degree that will be useful to you outside of the Navy. The Navy ultimately doesn't care for URL positions (SWO, Airdale, SPECWAR, EOD, and Submarines) and will train you for the needs of the Navy. Get a degree that interests you and will be useful on the civilian market because you never know. Maybe you'll hate the Navy or get tired of the Active Duty grind and hop into the Reserves. You've got a long life ahead of you.

That all being said, make ample use of the search function here to find answers as nearly every question has been asked. If you can't find an answer or need clarification, then members here will be better able to help when the questions are more specific. Best of luck.

exNavyOffRec

Hey everyone, I have some questions I couldn't find the answers to using the search function.

Questions:

How are Pass/Fail Courses Looked at?
Planning on transferring 90 credits towards my online degree from SNHU which will show up on the transcript as "pass." These credits will be from a combination of tests and outside courses which can only be transferred as "pass." Since these will comprise three quarters of my transcript, I am curious to know how the Navy would look at this. Will they count it as a C-? Not care at all? At SNHU, these will not be factored into the GPA, but I am not sure if the Navy has their own way of calculating GPA

Along with this, the degree will be earned from an online institution (SNHU is regionally accredited by NECHE). Since online degrees are quite new, I have heard many employers toss them to the side and am concerned that the Navy will overlook me for an applicant from a traditional college. I'm sure the Navy will pick me over a Harvard grad, but will an online degree put me at a disadvantage against everyone else?

Bonus question: Looking for some advice on choosing a major. I'm on the fence between a BA in Mathematics or a BS in Business Administration, both of which I am equally interested in. I feel I could get a higher GPA in Business (3.5+ or so) compared to an estimated 3.0-3.7 in mathematics (I'm not the best "mather" but find it fun). These GPAs will be completely dependent on 10 courses, most of which will be from major courses. I understand the Navy does not care for majors when selecting SNA or SWO applicants (fields I am interested in), but I have also heard they look more favorably on those who have STEM degrees. I have also heard there is a tier system in NROTC (Engineering, other STEM, everything else) and was curious if this was the same for OCS applicants. Because of this, I am at a crossroads on which to pick.

Bonus question #2: Does the Navy look at minors? Say I were to pursue a major in business admin and a minor in mathematics (vice versa). Would that look better than simply majoring in one subject and nothing else? I would have to take a few extra courses which would cost a few dollars, but if it would make me more competitive, I am more than willing to put forth the extra dollars. It would also be a good compromise pursue my other interest.

Thank you in advance. Please let me know if these questions have been answered already and where I can find the answers. Quite new to the forum and still finding my way around it.
1. Each college is different on how they will view transfer credits, mine factored them in, others will not, when you apply to OCS (defaulting to that path) you will need to submit transcripts from each college attended so they can see your actual GPA.

2. How online degrees are looked at can vary, some schools you will never know if it was done online or not, others are more noticeable, and it depends on the designator, some like nuke will look hard at school and classes, others like SWO will not, I saw a person with a degree from University of Phoenix online get picked and a person from a major state school not get picked and the online person had a GPA that was mid 3's and the state school was lower 3's.

3. This also depends designators like nuke, IWC, EDO, and others that are more tech driven will look hard at the Tier system like AA75 mentioned, other designators like SWO will focus on GPA and less on the degree and the school.

4. If you desire to get a minor then great, but don't do it thinking it is what you need to do to get into the USN.

Do what you need to do to get a degree you want and to get a really good GPA.

Napk1ns

1. Focus on getting into college. If you have community college classes that you are transferring, then that's good. Those will be factored in by the college you attend more than likely, which will have their own way of calculating your GPA.
  2. Focus on a commissioning path, i.e., will you be doing NROTC or going to OCS. NROTC is not offered online, so if you want to do NROTC then you need to go to a brick and mortar school. If you are set on doing OCS then you'll be competing with enlisted folks from the Fleet who more than likely have online degrees or degrees earned through other non-traditional means such as night school.
  3. There is a tier system with STEM degrees being preferred. More importantly, make sure your degree offers the necessary math and science classes needed to commission. Also, a low GPA in a STEM field will be looked at more favorably than a low GPA in a liberal arts field.
  4. Choose a degree that will be useful to you outside of the Navy. The Navy ultimately doesn't care for URL positions (SWO, Airdale, SPECWAR, EOD, and Submarines) and will train you for the needs of the Navy. Get a degree that interests you and will be useful on the civilian market because you never know. Maybe you'll hate the Navy or get tired of the Active Duty grind and hop into the Reserves. You've got a long life ahead of you.
That all being said, make ample use of the search function here to find answers as nearly every question has been asked. If you can't find an answer or need clarification, then members here will be better able to help when the questions are more specific. Best of luck.
Thank you for the response. I am interested in commissioning through OCS with an online degree. Seeing that the Navy prefers STEM, I am more interested in the math degree now. With that being said, what are the "necessary math and science classes" which are needed to commission? I found this online so far:
"one year each of calculus, calculus-based physics, and English Composition, one term of American Military History or National Security Policy, and one term of a course relating to a foreign culture or regional study with a third world focus."
This was off a NROTC program's website but I am curious to know if there are more requirements and where I can find them.

Napk1ns

1. Each college is different on how they will view transfer credits, mine factored them in, others will not, when you apply to OCS (defaulting to that path) you will need to submit transcripts from each college attended so they can see your actual GPA.

2. How online degrees are looked at can vary, some schools you will never know if it was done online or not, others are more noticeable, and it depends on the designator, some like nuke will look hard at school and classes, others like SWO will not, I saw a person with a degree from University of Phoenix online get picked and a person from a major state school not get picked and the online person had a GPA that was mid 3's and the state school was lower 3's.

3. This also depends designators like nuke, IWC, EDO, and others that are more tech driven will look hard at the Tier system like AA75 mentioned, other designators like SWO will focus on GPA and less on the degree and the school.

4. If you desire to get a minor then great, but don't do it thinking it is what you need to do to get into the USN.

Do what you need to do to get a degree you want and to get a really good GPA.
Thank you for the very direct reply. It helps out a lot in my decision.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Thank you for the response. I am interested in commissioning through OCS with an online degree. Seeing that the Navy prefers STEM, I am more interested in the math degree now. With that being said, what are the "necessary math and science classes" which are needed to commission? I found this online so far:
"one year each of calculus, calculus-based physics, and English Composition, one term of American Military History or National Security Policy, and one term of a course relating to a foreign culture or regional study with a third world focus."
This was off a NROTC program's website but I am curious to know if there are more requirements and where I can find them.

Those are the exact requirements. I'm not sure if those are needed for OCS or not but somebody like @exNavyOffRec can probably help you out there. It's mainly for course load for NROTC commissions. Any specific reason you're focused on online schools? NROTC is as good a way to commission as OCS.

exNavyOffRec

Those are the exact requirements. I'm not sure if those are needed for OCS or not but somebody like @exNavyOffRec can probably help you out there. It's mainly for course load for NROTC commissions. Any specific reason you're focused on online schools? NROTC is as good a way to commission as OCS.

I would do like @AllAmerican75 said in his post, choose a degree that will be useful to you. It makes no sense to get a degree in math if that is a difficult subject for you.

Napk1ns

I am interested in online schools because of its flexibility and short terms (SNHU has 8 week terms). By transferring 90 credits, I would only have 10 courses remaining and would be able to graduate in around 6 months if I stay on schedule. If I start as soon as I finish high school, I could graduate at 18, allowing me the possibility to pursue other interests before fully committing to the Navy. Also, since online courses are essentially all self-taught and self-paced, I would have more control over my schedule. I also do well in courses like this. This would allow for me to work much more flexible hours, participate in more organizations, and volunteer in time consuming roles (I am interested in working in emergency roles once I turn 18). I also feel as though this would translate well to my OCS package since I am sure it won't hurt it.
Though NROTC and USNA are amazing opportunities and commissioning sources, I do not feel as they are right for me. If I attend the Academy or NROTC, I feel I would not be able to have as much control over my schedule as course times are set and only a certain number of credits will be able to transfer (Maximum of 60 for most schools and much less for USNA). While I attended school (pre-pandemic days), I was not able to work, volunteer in roles I was interested in, or participate in some of the activities I liked because my schedule was practically booked from 6:45am-3:00pm, with sports coming right after. In NROTC or USNA, I am sure my schedule will be much more stringent. I have a friend at USAFA and a friend in AFROTC who both seem to be having a great time, but unlike them, 4 more years of sitting in the classroom school simply seems like too much for me, especially when I could get it done in 6 months while having more freedom to pursue my interests during and after school.
In short, I feel I would be restricted if I choose a traditional school, NROTC, or the academy. I would much rather get my own things done first then give 100% of my commitment to the Navy once I am ready.

Napk1ns

I would do like @AllAmerican75 said in his post, choose a degree that will be useful to you. It makes no sense to get a degree in math if that is a difficult subject for you.
Personally, I feel these two degrees will be equally as useful for me. I have an equal interest in both fields and would love to learn about either field. I'm not the best at math but I find it fun. I want to study business but I also want to study math. Might just double major honestly. I have the time and interest for it.

taxi1

pilot
I'm not current in the Navy hiring side, but I have opinions! Sat on a lot of boards, and I hire on the civvy side.

This is a rapidly evolving thing, with the pandemic pushing us forward into a Brave New World. Everyone is going to have a year or more of remote under their belts. If you are doing lots of other stuff, taking advantage of the free remote experience that COVID gave you where you learned that remote can be a good thing, I'd expect a board would give that strong consideration.

When I see a Business Admin degree, I think "GPA Shopper". When I see a Math degree, I think of someone with a passion for the topic. Personally I'll hire the passionate B+ student over the check in the block A student every time. If you have activities in your life that counter the Math nerdism, that makes you a well-rounded dude. ?

Unless the minor is well-detached from the major (BS in Physics with Minor in History) I don't pay attention. Similar for a double major. My daughter is trying to convince me to pay for hers right now. I keep suggesting she graduate and get a bunch of experience and make a bunch of money instead.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Personally, I feel these two degrees will be equally as useful for me. I have an equal interest in both fields and would love to learn about either field. I'm not the best at math but I find it fun. I want to study business but I also want to study math. Might just double major honestly. I have the time and interest for it.

You might look into applied mathematics programs. Those might be a bit easier as you'll have more context than abstract mathematical concepts that the pure mathematicians love. They will likely be more useful such as doing machine learning, AI research, or data analytics.

exNavyOffRec

When I see a Business Admin degree, I think "GPA Shopper". When I see a Math degree, I think of someone with a passion for the topic. Personally I'll hire the passionate B+ student over the check in the block A student every time. If you have activities in your life that counter the Math nerdism, that makes you a well-rounded dude. ?

I know on the USN side we look at grades, on the civilian hiring side we don't look at grades (at least on the non tech side), I could see a person being hired for a tech job having their transcripts looked at.

Napk1ns

I'm not current in the Navy hiring side, but I have opinions! Sat on a lot of boards, and I hire on the civvy side.

This is a rapidly evolving thing, with the pandemic pushing us forward into a Brave New World. Everyone is going to have a year or more of remote under their belts. If you are doing lots of other stuff, taking advantage of the free remote experience that COVID gave you where you learned that remote can be a good thing, I'd expect a board would give that strong consideration.

Unless the minor is well-detached from the major (BS in Physics with Minor in History) I don't pay attention. Similar for a double major. My daughter is trying to convince me to pay for hers right now. I keep suggesting she graduate and get a bunch of experience and make a bunch of money instead.
Thank you for the reply, it really helped out in my decision making. Glad to hear that one good thing came out of this pandemic (for me at least), and that the boards will understand me taking remote courses during this time for credit. I will definitely look into other activities to counter my nerdiness. I'm sure hockey is as far from nerdy as you can go so I'll put my experience on the team down. Seeing that the minor isn't as helpful on the boards, I guess I'll pursue one if I need to raise my GPA.

Napk1ns

You might look into applied mathematics programs. Those might be a bit easier as you'll have more context than abstract mathematical concepts that the pure mathematicians love. They will likely be more useful such as doing machine learning, AI research, or data analytics.
Thank you for the reply. I looked into applied mathematics and the course requirements and it seems perfect for me. This helped out a lot.