• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Parts Incorporated in a Flight Suit

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
There are other cool military aircraft?

I keed, I keed.

I say that because I try to play well with others :)

j/k, gotta say that I love watching the Marine rotary and C-130 traffic around here almost as much as I love the jets

Lawman

None
Don't know about the USMC, but we have clips for ours on the dash. If Lawman checks in he can tell you where the -64 guys keep theirs, when they bother taking them.

You cant see the rack for the pilot station unless your in the seat. the Rifle runs barrel toward the noise almost parralel with the opening of the canopy station. No big deal. Now the CPG station gets a little more fun. That weird seemingly useless piece of metal sticking out just forward and right of the armor plate on the CPG seat... thats where the M4 goes. And if faces mag toward the nose so you cant put an optic on it and if the Mag is in the well its one more thing you've gotta try and climb around without bashing your billion dollar helmet into the canopy or knocking your ass off the EFAB.

http://www.ng.mil/news/archives/2007/07/images/072407-Apache_save-full.jpg

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
usmarinemike - where did the Marine pilots carry their M4?

In the Navy, the CSAR crews fly with M-16A3. I kept mine slung over my seat post over my right shoulder when in the right seat and then hanging from the "PCL Hook" when flying in the left seat.

Having a 'clip' of some type to stowe them over the glare shield would have been a nice thing to have....

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....Having a 'clip' of some type to stowe them over the glare shield would have been a nice thing to have....
Shit ... I had a 'clip' in my K-5 BLAZER (in the overhead) to hold my XM16E1 *whilst* livin' & breathin' in Texas ...

Worked fine ... lasted a long time. IF ... you kept it 'clean' ... :)

Lawman

None
Sidenote of some of the OPD I got from my IP on the topic of M4's in the aircraft.

He has a rig using nothing more than a D-ring and an elastic pistol retainer cord that attached to his belt loop and was D-ringed to the hand grip on the M4. The reason was that a crew in his unit went down hard enough to wreck the aircraft but not hard enough to sustain injury and had to immediately abandon the A/C due to landing in close proximity to bad guys. Well in the fog and haze of having just being put through that crash both of them completely walked away from the Aircraft without their M4's. Basically this little jerry rig kit started being used by some people as a helpful reminder of "Hey dude this is your brain I know we're a little shaken but your gonna want that thing thats tugging on your waist." And since its attached to something as easy to rip as a belt loop if for some reason you gotta jump out of the A/C in a hurry its not going to hang you up any worse than your helmet cables or HDU.

The "Clips" on the Kiowa are strictly for holding the M4 onto the dash in case somebody flies outside that wussy 60 degree bank limit. Doors off smors off, Skids are for Kids.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
OBTW, for any folks headed to -101 land, we are getting the fancy NAVAIR flight gloves with extra knuckle protection and cut off thumb and first 2 fingertips. Pretty sweet gear if you ask me

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
OBTW, for any folks headed to -101 land, we are getting the fancy NAVAIR flight gloves with extra knuckle protection and cut off thumb and first 2 fingertips. Pretty sweet gear if you ask me

Had the wileyx gloves for a while now. The knuckle protections is pretty useless imho, but it looks cool. However, the rest of the glove is just plain awesome. The leather feels much more dexterous than the original gloves that were issue. I'm hoping they become a standard issue, because they're just plain awesome. Hell, if 9Gs and bellvilles are standard, might as well get the good stuff all around.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
... we are getting the fancy NAVAIR flight gloves with extra knuckle protection and cut off thumb and first 2 fingertips...Pretty sweet gear if you ask me
Sooooooooooo .... let me see if I have this straight. While I don't know nuthin' 'bout 'knuckle protection' ... you now have flight gloves w/ ''cut off thumb & first 2 fingertips'' ... ???

You mean ... you now have NAVAIR gloves that are designed to replicate those we used to have that we cut the thumb & fingertips out of ... ??? Gloves that we cut the thumb & fingertips off of w/ a pair of low-tech scissors ... ???

Pretty 'sweet gear', indeed. I love progress ... thank God for science & R&D !!!

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Sooooooooooo .... let me see if I have this straight. While I don't know nuthin' 'bout 'knuckle protection' ... you now have flight gloves w/ ''cut off thumb & first 2 fingertips'' ... ???

You mean ... you now have NAVAIR gloves that are designed to replicate those we used to have that we cut the thumb & fingertips out of ... ??? Gloves that we cut the thumb & fingertips off of w/ a pair of low-tech scissors ... ???

Pretty 'sweet gear', indeed. I love progress ... thank God for science & R&D !!!

Not sure how the standard issue gloves were back in the day, but the current lowest bidder specials come unraveled fairly quickly if you just cut them off with scissors. Or even if you don't cut them off

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Not sure how the standard issue gloves were back in the day, but the current lowest bidder specials come unraveled fairly quickly if you just cut them off with scissors. Or even if you don't cut them off
Then the lowest bidder is lower 'quality' today than in days of yore ... but I bet 'they' charge more for the 'lesser' gloves than in days of yore ...

I still have 2-3 pair of 35+ year old flight gloves. They work.
Don't ask me what they 'work' for ...

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Those look kinda dumb but if they work better, then I want some. I have found my tan gloves are much softer and give more dexterity than my green one so that's all I wear.