• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Parents want the answer to this

Krafty1

Head in the clouds
Can a retainer be worn at night at OCS? Parents wanted to know seeing how they have spent money for me to wear braces twice. It would ONLY be at night when I'm sleeping.

BackOrdered

Contributor
Can a retainer be worn at night at OCS? Parents wanted to know seeing how they have spent money for me to wear braces twice. It would ONLY be at night when I'm sleeping.

This is a good question, I'd ask your recruiter but given the training, I can't see why not.

But even if you can't, what are your parents going to do if you can't?

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
TWICE?

I routinely take the cell phones from my daughters when I catch them without their retainer. I would have heart failure if I had to pay for those damn braces twice.

Maybe you can ask the Gunny nicely, and they will let you wear them. Get back to us on how it goes.

Best of luck, and welcome to the site.

Lights Out

On the green side of things, I think I remember a couple of guys that brought theirs, I personally did not...heard some stories about pickup and did not want my retainer obliterated, but thats just me.

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
You will have no problem wearing them at night while at OCS. You generally will get up early and get ready before the DI's come and wake you up...

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
i wore my retainer for 8 years after braces. Three months after the Ortho says its all good to chuck the bastard.. one of my molars decides to take a little road trip west. I'm thinking invisalign to fix it, because i'm definitely not throwing more metal on my teeth any time soon.

scottwith1t

east coast
pilot
i don't see why it'd be a problem, just make damn sure they're not in your mouth when you fall out in the morning and always keep them locked up (which shouldn't be a problem). might want to note it with the dentist when you go in for your dental check.

but yea, as far as i know from when i was at OCS less than a year ago it'd be fine.

Bugsmasher

Another Non-qual SWO Ensign
Definitely bring it, just keep it locked in your war locker. You'll have a few minutes every morning before PT to hit the head, hygiene, etc.

Thunderkiss

ENS - SNFO
The best time to find out about this would definately be on wake up wednesday when you get to meet your DI. This is probably the only time he will be nice to you and take questions.

Health and comfort inspections do happen... last one was 4 weeks ago.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
God forbid you upset mom and pop :) Look, on parent teacher...err...DI conference day, just have em ask nicely.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
The best time to find out about this would definately be on wake up wednesday when you get to meet your DI. This is probably the only time he will be nice to you and take questions.
Huh? Our DI wasn't nice to us until the day before drill comp.

red_ryder

None
Well, you probably will be able to get away with it...but because of your parents? I'm just saying, you will have a job, if you neglect and need(?) braces again it's on you to pay for them. Or settle for only fairly attractive teeth. Start thinking about cutting the cord a little more, you're training to be a leader of men and women.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I expect you can get away with it. But technically, you can not be in orthodontia on enlistment. Now I am sure what they really mean is braces, but a retainer IS part of the orthodontia treatment plan. If worse came to worse, leave it out for a month or so and then go back to it when things are more routine and casual at OCS. How bad out of wack can they get? And as mentioned, you will be on a Navy dental plan on graduation anyway.