• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Parents Quash Support for PPL

Status
Not open for further replies.

DairyCreamer

Well,

Lovely news today. The 'rents decided they didn't want to help finance a PPL. Not that I can't pay for it myself, just trying to get a loan to make it easy to complete in one fell swoop.

Anyway, I wonder whether I should continue to pursue getting this bad boy this summer or what. I've been wanting to get my license for 7 years now, and it hurts a lot that my parents are still steadfast in refusing to help me.

I dont want to get into financial details... it's more about the worth of the license and whether it would be looked favorably upon by the Navy, though I already have 20 hours in the logbook over the last 7 years or so.

Thanks for the opinion.

~Nate

Lonestar155

is good to go
I read and heard from many pilots that having a license is not going to help you that much. But hey if you love flying DONT let that stop you. Besides they emphasized that pretty much when it comes to flight training they will teach you many things that you have not learned while getting your pilots license. Im in your shoes too buddy. I have few hours logged in myself but if i had the funds i would still love being able to fly more often. Good luck and see ya in the skies.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've found that my Private Pilot license did help me a little bit. Things such as landings, emergencies, sight pictures, etc were all familiar to me, whereas my friends without a license were struggling to figure it out. However, military flying is a bit different than civilian flying, so you will have to "unlearn" a few things. I'm in aerobatics now and my license doesn't help me one bit here, but it does help during the FAM stage.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Lets be clear here though, the PPL helped you in the first couple of flights.... NOT in getting an flying billet in the Navy.

Save your money man, a couple of extra hours will not help you get in as an SNA and it will only give you a leg up on your peers for about 4 flights, all of which do not count toward your overall NSS.

That and when you are finished with flight school, you can go to an FAA examiner with your military logbook and get a PPL, IFR, COMM licsence.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Actually it helped me beyond my first 4 flights, BCH.

BCH is right though, it will not help you get a flying billet. I didn't get it for a leg-up, I got it because I like to rent a Cessna and screw around sometimes. It was a pure pleasure thing. If you have the money and want to blow it then do it. But it really is completely up to you.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Fly Navy said:
Actually it helped me beyond my first 4 flights, BCH.

You may have continued to benfit from your flying experience, but I am saying with only a little bit of flying time, your peers catch up to your comfort level very quick. Now if you have a few hundred hours that is a different story.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Having a pilot's liciense absolutley can help you get selected. Do guys with a PPL get rejected, yes. It is that whole man concept you hear about. If you have a similar app as the next four guys plus a PPL you will probably get the nod. If, however, you have a 3.0 in history to go with that PPL and the next guy has a 3.3 in EE with no PPL, I'd bet on the earth bound guy. Saying a pilot's liciense will not get you selected is like saying a 3.8 in ME from MIT or being a former intern to a congressman won't get you selected. No one thing does it. But certain checks in the block on the app do help. You just have to evaluate your situation.

DairyCreamer

Man Oh Man,

I appreciate all the words of wisdom guys. I love how life decisions become your own at this stage of the game. I'm going to go talk to the bank later this afternoon and have a serious discussion about finances. I love flying I know... it has honestly just always been about the money (unfortunately).

The potential benes for the Navy app are appealing as well of course, but that's not the primary reason I'd be grabbing the ticket. As I said, 7 years I've been pining for this.

My only other concern is whether I should wait long enough to use the IFS time. I know that a PPL disquals you from IFS (since you already know how to fly), but of course, that means I'd have to get pro-rec'd and Fin Select first.

Grrrr! Decisions!!!! Thanks guys!

~Nate

Dokeman

DairyCreamer - If money is a problem check out this website:

www.pilotfinance.com

All these guys do is finance flight training. It's basically like taking out a loan for a car, X amount of down payment and Y monthly payment for Z months. Their interest rates were kind of high (12 - 18% when I checked into them), but they agree to cover all charges associated with training so you don't have to worry if you need an extra 5 hours of flight time before you take your checkride. I almost went with them but I found a credit card with a better interest rate, another possible avenue to take.

I'm not sure how much debt you want to get into but a ppc (it's a certificate not a license) will definitely show a selection board that you're serious about flying if you're willing to spend your own money on training. Good Luck!

D

DairyCreamer

Yah... I've looked into Pilot Finanace. Their interest rates are astounding though. I'm gonna try my luck with a personal loan application through LendingTree.com before I jump at Pilot Finance. I figure a revolving loan, too, would be easier for me to handle than fixed, larger monthly payments.

If there's anyone out there who's at least semi-expert at financing their license through loans/credit, drop me a PM. I'd like to have some conversation with you privately. I think I'm going to do this regardless, I just want to make sure I'm doing it right. thanks!

~Nate

flynavy76

P-3 Flyer
pilot
Here.

Check this out . . . https://wwwa.applyonlinenow.com/USapp/Ctl/redirect?CV_sourceCode=B8B8&CV_MC=A0000000EN . This can save you up to $250 (I know it's not much in comparison to the whole cost of getting your PPL, but it's something). It's a credit card for AOPA members (so you need to join) that gives you a 5% credit on your charges at qualified FBOs. I used this when I got my PPL and then transferred the balance to a card with 0% interest for a year and paid it off.

You can join at www.aopa.org for $39 and you get a magazine every month that is a pretty good read.

Status
Not open for further replies.