• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Paper or Computer

Bighead

I am taking the ASTB in a couple of weeks and was wondering if anyone knew if the paper or computer version was easier? If anyone has any tips or hints please let me know.

Thanks

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
I took the paper copy once and didnt use the computer, but I have a friend who took one of each and he said that the computer was easier. But this may have been because it was his second time taking it and was more prepared.

T-man

I haven't taken the computer version, but I seem to recall someone saying on here that on the computer, you cannot go back and review/change your answers. I found this to be increadibly helpfull. When I took the paper version. If I had some time to spare, I would review my answers. I recall that there was at least 1 question on each section that I ended up changing.

nugget81

pilot
T-man said:
I seem to recall someone saying on here that on the computer, you cannot go back and review/change your answers.
Bad gouge above...

I have taken the computer version and you can review and change answers as you see fit. You can even "flag" them so you can get back to them very easily.

I can't speak for the paper version as I never took the ASTB on paper, but if you can use the internet then you can easily take the test on the computer. You even get a timer in the corner of the screen so that you always know how much time you have left.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
When i took the paper version, a person in the room accidentally filled in the wrong section. It was one of the last sections too so he had a real hard time getting a new one and filling in all the old bubbles.

Personally, i liked taking the paper version (havent taken computer version, but im sure FAA computer exams are very similar). I liked being able to visuliaze how many questions i had left and it was easy to fill them in at the last second. It was also easier comparing other questions (like the spatial section) with others to help find the correct answer.

Also, here at ERAU, we are not allowed to take the paper version anymore. We have to take it on the computer.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When I was administering the ASTB, I had one of my student say that he like the Computer version because he was able to monitor his time and do time management. There is a little timer on the bottom of the screen while you are taking the graded portions.

And, YES, you can go back and review and/change your answers as long as you have time left. The flag is also a handy tool if you want to review when you are done. One suggestion is to mark every question and flag the ones you are unsure of and then go back to correct them at the end.

ea6bflyr