• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

pack up house before ocs or after?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gin_e

Is it better to pack up your house before OCS and get everything in boxes and in storage? Or is there sufficient time after OCS before your first assignment to pack and move? How long does it take for the military movers to come get your stuff and move it to your new location, generally?

thanks,
ginny

robv182

Gotta have the Nutz
None
If you do it before OCS they won't pay for it and if you do it after they will. They scheduled my move within days of stopping by their office. The number of days they take to move you will depend on the amout of stuff you have to move. They will have a limited number of days to get it to your permanent duty station depending on the distance. It took them 10 days to get it from San Antonio to Pensacola. Good luck, rob

Kim

The movers will actually pack it for you. You should have it organized though. The Navy will pay for 1 home of record move, I think you have to have permanent orders (not API, but in primary). You will have time after OCS if you are going to API, and probably everywhere else. You will have to take leave though. If you can leave it with someone you trust (like parents) you can fill out a form to give them permission to sign for the move. I rented a furnished place during API and had minimal stuff, and then did the big move to corpus. You also get I think 600 lbs from pensacola to corpus if you go to corpus. Hope this helps.

gin_e

Actually, I have to atleast pack up my room and move it to storage before OCS since I am in a rental property. But I'd like to leave my tv, washer/dryer, and kitchen stuff, etc for my roommates. But I'm worried I won't have enough time (or perhaps would rather not spend the extra travel time) to come back home, separate out everything, and pack the leftovers after OCS and before my next assignment. Otherwise I could just give the movers the storage unit info and just head for my next assignment, and not even have to go back home, right?

ginny

robv182

Gotta have the Nutz
None
You can get a special power of attorney at base legal to have a friend or family member take care of all that for you so you don't have to go back.

Status
Not open for further replies.