• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

P3 RAG, FAM 4, take two...

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor

Think you misunderstood his question- or I misunderstood your answer.

Yes MB, P-3 pilots set their own power, or at the very least start moving the power levers and let the FE fine tune them during takeoff. Pilots have the option of having the FEs adjust power settings climbing out, in the pattern. I usually don't because it helps keep my scan moving.

When we climb we typically start the power addition and tell the FE to set whatever we use given our weight.
On station, its practical to have the FE set the power to keep XXX knots most of the time. When they are senior, they are pretty good at that- takes some of the junior guys a while though.

Pilots control their own power reductions and adjustments, particularly during decent on station and from downwind on in the pattern.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
The cockpit looks even better with the new Electronic Flight Director System and Digital Fuel Quantity System. Almost from the 21 century, I just wish I had some pictures to post but that’s just not possible.

Think ZAB posted a picture of EFDS a looong time ago. DFQS does look neat- on the three or four birds i've seen with it.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Wow...just saw this thread. Funny that I'm up for Fly 4 next...and Websan is the salty RAG IP giving me shit in the Shooters shack before flights.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
For those of you interested in P-3s this is a great picture of how RAG and upgrading flights in the fleet look. It may have been 8 years ago but not a whole lot has changed. Other than not being allowed to bounce at Gainesville for the time being because someone got annoyed and "feared for his children" because the big, bad P-3 was in the bounce pattern.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
For those of you interested in P-3s this is a great picture of how RAG and upgrading flights in the fleet look. It may have been 8 years ago but not a whole lot has changed. Other than not being allowed to bounce at Gainesville for the time being because someone got annoyed and "feared for his children" because the big, bad P-3 was in the bounce pattern.
That was me.... I keed.