• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

P-8A Poseidon Demonstration Van at NASP 29-30 Oct

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Another thing that was neat and kind of a lower focused thing was the EP-X. The guy I talked to there was giving me the lowdown on the P-8A and then mentioned the EP-X and I was pretty blown away at how capable it sounded. He also explained why there isn't a MAD boom too.

East

东部
Contributor
Crew Chief

I used "Crew Chief" for the P-8 as it's not a 3 crew concept.
On the C-40 and V-22 the USN/USMC carries "Crew Chiefs" hence my question.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I used "Crew Chief" for the P-8 as it's not a 3 crew concept.
On the C-40 and V-22 the USN/USMC carries "Crew Chiefs" hence my question.

Those are cargo carrying aircraft. What would a crew chief do on an ASW platform? It would be non-sense.

Brett

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
There's no "crew chief" in the current P-3, as you know, unless you mean FE. I can't imagine that the P-8 would want/need an FE.

Brett

Nope. All the AWs who are going thru FE school at 30 are pissed that their jobs are going away. I'm not sure what to think about it, they saved my ass more than a few times especially early on here, and I'm sure there's plenty more times where one will go "are you sure about that idea, sir?"

Flugelman

Contributor
Nope. All the AWs who are going thru FE school at 30 are pissed that their jobs are going away. I'm not sure what to think about it, they saved my ass more than a few times especially early on here, and I'm sure there's plenty more times where one will go "are you sure about that idea, sir?"

+1

Which makes me wonder if there will be an IFT position??? :confused:

And there's probably no radar cabinet in the cockpit for the IFT to sit on either... :( :D

Mos

None
Nice demo. The seats were very comfortable and the stations in the back looked like they were running on Windows. :D Wish I'd had more time to bask in it.

wingsB4rings

Four fans of freedom, all day long
None
Which makes me wonder if there will be an IFT position??? :confused:

You're right, no IFT on the P-8, along with no FE's as someone mentioned already.

Also, the P-3 does run a version of Windows (circa mid-late 90s) in the tube on the AIPs, but it is essentially worthless since its extremely fragile and unbearably slow.

As far as MAD, good riddance :). Besides, there'd be no way to even try to incorporate it with the "ASW at 20,000 feet" vision of the future.

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
As far as MAD, good riddance :). Besides, there'd be no way to even try to incorporate it with the "ASW at 20,000 feet" vision of the future.

MAD is a great confirming sensor, but you (i.e. flight crew) and the maintainers have to stay on top of it with comps, etc. I can't tell you how many times I heard "madman, madman, madman" either in the WST or at AUTEC, followed by my "roger, weapon away," all leading to a spot-on torp drop.

I don't know how it's done now, but I can assure you that there's been plenty of ASW done at 20,000 feet. My 3rd grader uses my old TACCO clipboard to do homework on the couch while watching Hannah Montana. The clipboard has a buoy drop/OTPI error chart laminated on one side, with altitudes from 1000 to 25k feet and windspeeds up to 70 kts. Plot stab was definitely more difficult at altitude, but we still tracked 'em. Of course, MAD was useless up there, but I don't think the P-8 will be staying high to drop torps.