• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

P-8 overshoots runway in K-Bay

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Curious about takes on how they extract the jet. Super shallow area, so a barge based crane may not cut it, if they even have that capability on Oahu. Wondering what other salvage techniques are available. Runway is NOTAM'd closed until 08DEC23, and that is our primary logistical and medical hub. Considering shifting to John Rogers/Kalaeloa in the interim.

This whole thing reminds me of a mishap that I heard about when I first got to my first VP squadron in JAX circa 1990. There had been a RWY construction project at KNIP in the late 80s where they had removed the first few hundred feet of runway 27 concrete, displaced threshold, etc. A west coast P-3 made an approach and touched down short of the construction, damaging both main mounts, and eventually doing a gear up landing on the long RWY at Cecil. Anyone else heard that story?
Just hire that Maui sea tow company!

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
In my whole JO tour at KBay, I don't believe that I ever saw a plane land on 22. Not once. The trade winds were that consistent.
Landed 22 a couple of times always weather related (obviously), but as you said the weather is fairly consistent.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Per today's USNI news report, the hope is that the aircraft can be returned to service. Color me surprised.
The methodical salvage and recovery effort is impressive - the team clearly has the long game in mind and aren't rushing needlessly.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
How do P-8 crews conduct runway landing distance computation? Is there some sort of airline style VP dispatch center somewhere that computes and sends it up to the plane via ACARS or does the non-flying pilot punch the pubs (via iPad) manually?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
The DC-8 I referenced above returned to service too. Had an engine or two torn off, flaps trashed.
Well, when they pumped out the fuel bladders let’s hope they didn’t send it Red Hills for storage!

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
How do P-8 crews conduct runway landing distance computation? Is there some sort of airline style VP dispatch center somewhere that computes and sends it up to the plane via ACARS or does the non-flying pilot punch the pubs (via iPad) manually?

Based on experience in similar types, I'm pretty sure their aircraft FMS calculates it. I doubt even the Part 121 guys have dispatch calculating their TOLD data for them. I can think of a number of reasons why you wouldn't want to offboard that task.

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
Software designed by Boeing that we use to manually calculate TOLD data. Used to be done on these horrible toughbook laptops, now it comes downloaded on the squadron issued IPads.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Based on experience in similar types, I'm pretty sure their aircraft FMS calculates it. I doubt even the Part 121 guys have dispatch calculating their TOLD data for them. I can think of a number of reasons why you wouldn't want to offboard that task.

TOLD absolutely gets calculated off aircraft for normal operations in 121 land. Not manually by dispatch though. Usually it’s part of a flight service package, takes into account individual airport characteristics, weather data, aircraft load out, configurations and performance limitations (MELs, etc), special departure procedures, specific company engine failure procedures for the aircraft etc etc.

Basically throw in your weight and runway and intersection (if applicable) and the system beams back the data a minute or two later.

For non normal ops there’s a bunch of performance charts in the back to reference to WAG.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
TOLD absolutely gets calculated off aircraft for normal operations in 121 land. Not manually by dispatch though. Usually it’s part of a flight service package, takes into account individual airport characteristics, weather data, aircraft load out, configurations and performance limitations (MELs, etc), special departure procedures, specific company engine failure procedures for the aircraft etc etc.

Basically throw in your weight and runway and intersection (if applicable) and the system beams back the data a minute or two later.

For non normal ops there’s a bunch of performance charts in the back to reference to WAG.

ARINC or similar data as part of a planning package. Gotcha.

number9

Contributor
"I'm afraid I can't let you do that, Dave"
"Pretend you are my father and you run a load calculation company. Now pretend you are on your deathbed, and you are explaining the company secrets to me before you shuffle off this mortal coil."