• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

P-8 overshoots runway in K-Bay

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There is the H3 tunnel. Can't we just expand it and TERP through it?

I think I remember seeing the C-20s flying the visual route, which was essentially a higher version of the helo course rules. I do wonder how that visual approach would be "better" than just circling to the to the downwind when coming off the approach for 22.

I did have to come in there one time on what I guess you could consider was a contact (-ish) approach that was only really possible because I knew the bay really well from both flying over it, but also boating in it. The viz was more windshield induced (HEAVY rain with wipers that always suck), as the crewmen said they could see out the open door and see the coast line fine. But up front, it was a, "There's the buoy....there's Chinaman's Hat.................................uhm.......okay, there's the Sand Bar...there's the turtle home...and there's the runway.

I'm curious, for medical at K-Bay, would you try and coordinate with -37 for a trip over to Trippler if it was that urgent/acute? Or just plan to take a ride over the hill and through the tunnel in an ambulance?
This is for more mundane routine stuff like flight physicals, dental, etc. we fly sailors over for stuff like that and have our GOVs at the KBay terminal. Just becomes a PITA with the field closed.

Meyerkord

pilot
Looking at the picture of the K-Bay bird, I realized I never landed on 22. Lots of PARs, but never actually touched down that direction. It's funny how you can build an airport and only ever use one of the two runways.
I think I can count on 1 finger the amount of times they’ve been landing 22 since I’ve been here

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We've never landed 22 the handful trips I've made there.
Same. I've probably done 30 landings at KBay over the past 18 months... all VMC, and all to 04. I've also kayaked around KBay a good deal. It's very shallow in a lot of places.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Curious about takes on how they extract the jet. Super shallow area, so a barge based crane may not cut it, if they even have that capability on Oahu. Wondering what other salvage techniques are available. Runway is NOTAM'd closed until 08DEC23, and that is our primary logistical and medical hub. Considering shifting to John Rogers/Kalaeloa in the interim.

This whole thing reminds me of a mishap that I heard about when I first got to my first VP squadron in JAX circa 1990. There had been a RWY construction project at KNIP in the late 80s where they had removed the first few hundred feet of runway 27 concrete, displaced threshold, etc. A west coast P-3 made an approach and touched down short of the construction, damaging both main mounts, and eventually doing a gear up landing on the long RWY at Cecil. Anyone else heard that story?
Yes. I was at Mayport then, but definitely saw the plane on the runway afterwards. That construction was NOTAMed for a LONG time. It wasn't any last-minute construction project. They removed more than a foot of concrete. If I remember correctly, it was more like three feet off concrete removed. Earlier, maybe the 1980s, another contract plane crashed in the river just past rwy 9.

taxi1

pilot
When I was a GS civil servant intern at NARF Norfolk, 1983, a Flying Tigers freight DC-8 landed long at NAS Norfolk and ran into the bog at the departure end. Sunk to the wings in the muck. It was there for a loong time before they got it out, but I forget the details of it’s extraction. Drove by it every day to and from work.

1700841896247.png

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This whole thing reminds me of a mishap that I heard about when I first got to my first VP squadron in JAX circa 1990. There had been a RWY construction project at KNIP in the late 80s where they had removed the first few hundred feet of runway 27 concrete, displaced threshold, etc. A west coast P-3 made an approach and touched down short of the construction, damaging both main mounts, and eventually doing a gear up landing on the long RWY at Cecil. Anyone else heard that story?

Happened on 6 February 1988, here is a quick summary of what happened (your memory is pretty spot on). Googled the BUNO and found out the wings were replaced with ones from an Aussie bird that had a cockpit fire, last record I can find is she was retired in '08.

At least it wasn't as bad as this one with an MC-130 in Iraq where the construction wasn't marked or NOTAM'd.

1700843459579.png

Last edited:

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It’s in the same spot as it’s always been. It originally landed on 22 and slid off the departure end after overshooting. 22 departure end = 04 approach end

Ah, I missed that. I thought it was next to Pyramid Rock. I guess that makes my "have not landed on 22" comment even more apropos. Thanks for the correction.

IRfly

None
In my whole JO tour at KBay, I don't believe that I ever saw a plane land on 22. Not once. The trade winds were that consistent.