• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

P-3s--What's the community like?

johnritenour@co

P-3s -- What's The Community Like

:) I was a NROTC Scholarship Midn. The skipper of my Unit, James (Jim) F Wetzel, was a P3 pilot. He was without a doubt the most squared away officer I served with in the Navy. He always took care of his people - whether they were instructors, staff, or Mids. I received a scholarship because he went to bat for me even though I was accused of cheating on a test. The Exec, wanted to boot me out of the unit ASAP. The skipper then looked me straight in the eye and asked me if I had cheated. I responded "No Sir - I didn't." He then said, "Very Well - I will take you at your word. As far as I am concerned - the matter is closed."

When it came to light later, that I had been set up by several of my fellow Midn, Capitan Wetzel apologized to me personally. He especially went out of his way to do so - and in front of the XO. Behind closed doors, I asked him why he apologized on behalf of the XO - he stated that as the CO - everything that went on in the unit was his responsibility. He had asked the XO to apologize to me - and he (the XO)refused, saying it wasn't his problem.

Needless to say - the quality of our CO impressed me. He stated that in the VP/MP community - we are all professionals- and expect everyone else to be as well. Right then and there my mind was made up - I was going to go VP. I couldn't be a pilot because my eyesight was too bad, even to be a retread pilot from the NFO program. I also wanted to choose VP because you had a chance, even as an NFO, to make Patrol Plane Commander. Also - you had a better chance of being a squadron CO than with other communities - and from day one - I knew I wanted to command and lead in the Navy!

Sadly, I got the NAMI whammy, and had to leave the flight program. During my tours in the Navy as a SWO(then as now, God I hated being a SWO), all of the P3 folks I worked with were great 4.0 professionals. I am sure - as with any community - that there are some guys in VP/MP that are the proverbial a**holes - but I never met any of them. In dealing with VP/MP during our mine warfare exercises, the officers I worked with stood head and shoulders above my fellow SWO's in all aspects. In fact - I made several good lasting friendships with the VP guys - when they found out I wasn't a typical SWO and I actually enjoyed meeting people.

In talking the VP/MP guys, I found there are some great duty stations out there. Of course Hawaii comes to mind, but I understand the cost of living is quite high. Norfolk is another good spot - although there aren't any active P3 squadrons stationed there, you sometimes pass through there, plus there are a lot of "good" (as if any staff job could ever be called good) staff billets there.

Another positive factor in VP/MP is the lack of Sea duty. Don't get me wrong - you do deploy in this community - and you do work hard. But usually the only time you get stationed onboard a ship is your disassociated tour onboard a bird farm, where you might be a catapult officer, etc - or a sea going staff billet. As far as I am concerned - that is a big plus.

And don't forget - when jet jockeys start talking about the performance envelope of their aircraft - you can so subtly remind them of the performance envelope of your aircraft - as in the Per Diem Envelope!:D

Short

None
In the next thrilling installment from 50cal, we find out who stole the strawberry ice-cream, and why he was correct to turn downwind during Halsey's typhoon.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
:) I was a NROTC Scholarship Midn. The skipper of my Unit, James (Jim) F Wetzel, was a P3 pilot. He was without a doubt the most squared away officer I served with in the Navy. He always took care of his people - whether they were instructors, staff, or Mids. I received a scholarship because he went to bat for me even though I was accused of cheating on a test. The Exec, wanted to boot me out of the unit ASAP. The skipper then looked me straight in the eye and asked me if I had cheated. I responded "No Sir - I didn't." He then said, "Very Well - I will take you at your word. As far as I am concerned - the matter is closed."

When it came to light later, that I had been set up by several of my fellow Midn, Capitan Wetzel apologized to me personally. He especially went out of his way to do so - and in front of the XO. Behind closed doors, I asked him why he apologized on behalf of the XO - he stated that as the CO - everything that went on in the unit was his responsibility. He had asked the XO to apologize to me - and he (the XO)refused, saying it wasn't his problem.

Needless to say - the quality of our CO impressed me. He stated that in the VP/MP community - we are all professionals- and expect everyone else to be as well. Right then and there my mind was made up - I was going to go VP. I couldn't be a pilot because my eyesight was too bad, even to be a retread pilot from the NFO program. I also wanted to choose VP because you had a chance, even as an NFO, to make Patrol Plane Commander. Also - you had a better chance of being a squadron CO than with other communities - and from day one - I knew I wanted to command and lead in the Navy!

Sadly, I got the NAMI whammy, and had to leave the flight program. During my tours in the Navy as a SWO(then as now, God I hated being a SWO), all of the P3 folks I worked with were great 4.0 professionals. I am sure - as with any community - that there are some guys in VP/MP that are the proverbial a**holes - but I never met any of them. In dealing with VP/MP during our mine warfare exercises, the officers I worked with stood head and shoulders above my fellow SWO's in all aspects. In fact - I made several good lasting friendships with the VP guys - when they found out I wasn't a typical SWO and I actually enjoyed meeting people.

In talking the VP/MP guys, I found there are some great duty stations out there. Of course Hawaii comes to mind, but I understand the cost of living is quite high. Norfolk is another good spot - although there aren't any active P3 squadrons stationed there, you sometimes pass through there, plus there are a lot of "good" (as if any staff job could ever be called good) staff billets there.

Another positive factor in VP/MP is the lack of Sea duty. Don't get me wrong - you do deploy in this community - and you do work hard. But usually the only time you get stationed onboard a ship is your disassociated tour onboard a bird farm, where you might be a catapult officer, etc - or a sea going staff billet. As far as I am concerned - that is a big plus.

And don't forget - when jet jockeys start talking about the performance envelope of their aircraft - you can so subtly remind them of the performance envelope of your aircraft - as in the Per Diem Envelope!:D

Basically a post about what you think/heard the P-3 community is like. Awesome. There are plenty of folks on here who are the real deal that can answer the questions.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
They turn so quickly.......
Not really, I empathize with his pain right now. He should have been out here on conference instead. Oh well. Hopefully the "morale tree" is doing well Prop... :)

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Not really, I empathize with his pain right now. He should have been out here on conference instead. Oh well. Hopefully the "morale tree" is doing well Prop... :)

Man I hate you guys so much!

I would have been there for TACTIP but I had to stay back to help an O5 not get killed. I probably should get a medal for that.

And as a matter of fact, I am on watch! But I have peons to watch message traffic. ...now I gotta go make a powerpoint... :(

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
http://p3reform.wordpress.com/2011/07/10/vp-30-sucks-and-heres-why/

This might be a repost...?... Found a link to this on a buddy's FB page. Interesting observations. I'll leave it to the resident P3 dudes to flame spray him or endorse his thoughts, but it did get me thinking... Why do P3 dudes have big ass patches that say "FRS Instructor" ? No other community has such a monstrosity of a patch or apparently screens folks for command when detailing them to their first shore tours...?

BTW, there are some great rant's on that website! Very curious to see what the prop dudes around here think of 'em.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Given the people my squadron sent, this is largely true. We sent three really, really, really shit hot guys who were not part of the club but they all rocked at their jobs and were not d-bags. As far as I know, they all hated 30...

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
When I was going thru 30, there was talk of the MPRWS becoming its own UIC and breaking off from VP-30. The 30 vibe comes and goes. I didn't like the vibe I got going thru as a CAT 1. Maybe that changed, but from the IPs I talked to at 30 right now, it doesn't really seem like that good of a deal.

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
Damn, if what that guy is writing in the several MPRA-related posts that I read is even half accurate, I'm glad that I flew P-3s when I did and not now. I was a 30 guy, and yeah a good number of the wardroom had the "my shit doesn't stink because I'm a VP-30 instructor" attitude, but I felt that we did a very good job of sending a quality product to the fleet, both first and second tour types. Of course, back then we were still primarily training for what had always been the P-3's bread and butter mission, deep water ASW, and it even still had some relevancy. I have no idea what percent of the syllabus is devoted to that mission these days.

Before my tour at 30, we were still getting lots of hours on top of real-world bad guy submarines. I have no firm idea if or how much that has changed over the years, but it was very satisfying to have a real mission to perform, one that the aircraft was originally designed to do, and that at times could be extremely challenging. If you had a good crew (something that I was usually blessed with) and passed hot contact to your relief on a difficult target, there was a real sense of accomplishment, and you felt like whatever small part you played, you made a difference.