• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

P-3 Orion

Hi,

I see that a current NASA astronaut, Josh Cassada, initially trained as a P-3 Orion pilot. He also had a Phd in Physics before joining the navy. Is it extremely rare to see anyone with a Phd, or even a master's degree going to OCS?

In any event, if one is a P-3 pilot, does that mean that they never serve at sea since P-3 is a land based craft? If so, does the same go for cargo pilots?

And, what type of armaments does the P-3 have to fight ships and subs? It was not clear from the profile below.

villo0692

there's no active duty squadrons flying P3s anymore. Yes some people go to OCS with a masters...idk about PhDs, but one of my friends had a JD. No you will not ever land a P3 on a ship. depending on the stage of your career as a P3 pilot, you could still serve in a ship in other roles. I stored my Nutella in a drawer in a P3 Galley so I always had a snack when I went in.

space_sailor

And, what type of armaments does the P-3 have to fight ships and subs? It was not clear from the profile below.
Search engines are your friend. If it's not readily found via a search engine I would think it's probably not very publicly available information.

Read below article - might answer your question.

Edit: just looked at the wiki article you linked. If you [CTRL-F] "weapons" that will bring you the information you are seeking as well.......

Last edited:

croakerfish

pilot
Hi,

I see that a current NASA astronaut, Josh Cassada, initially trained as a P-3 Orion pilot. He also had a Phd in Physics before joining the navy. Is it extremely rare to see anyone with a Phd, or even a master's degree going to OCS?

In any event, if one is a P-3 pilot, does that mean that they never serve at sea since P-3 is a land based craft? If so, does the same go for cargo pilots?

PhDs are rare, Master’s are not.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
PhDs are rare, Master’s are not.

We had a couple of PhDs and JDs, as well as quite a few MBA types when I went to OCS- but that was because the USMC was in the plus up for the second (third?) push into Iraq, and had a college loan repayment program where you got your entire college loan paid back if you served as an officer on AD for 4 years.

Dudes had $400K debt that was paid off- one guy had such a high student loan debt that his O-1 salary wouldn't cover the taxes he owed on what the CLRP paid out every year (it was income after all). He had to get tax forgiveness.

I kind of think that program should still be around for anyone who serves as an officer. Much better option than a blanket "forgiveness" policy.

Mos

None

Many P-3 pilots and NFOs do a disassociated sea tour on a carrier, either as a catapult officer, aka shooter, or as part of a carrier staff.

The P-3 has carried a variety of armament types over the many decades that it's been in service, but it primarily carried lightweight torpedoes and antiship missiles.

there's no active duty squadrons flying P3s anymore. Yes some people go to OCS with a masters...idk about PhDs, but one of my friends had a JD. No you will not ever land a P3 on a ship. depending on the stage of your career as a P3 pilot, you could still serve in a ship in other roles. I stored my Nutella in a drawer in a P3 Galley so I always had a snack when I went in.
Thanks. So, what does the navy fly nowadays for anti-subs, anti-ships?

What type of craft land on a carrier besides fighters, the growler, E-2 hawkeye and helos?

If one flies the growler, are they considered jet pilots and therefore go through the jet pipeline training?

Any weapons on either the Growler or E-2?

We had a couple of PhDs and JDs, as well as quite a few MBA types when I went to OCS- but that was because the USMC was in the plus up for the second (third?) push into Iraq, and had a college loan repayment program where you got your entire college loan paid back if you served as an officer on AD for 4 years.

Dudes had $400K debt that was paid off- one guy had such a high student loan debt that his O-1 salary wouldn't cover the taxes he owed on what the CLRP paid out every year (it was income after all). He had to get tax forgiveness.

I kind of think that program should still be around for anyone who serves as an officer. Much better option than a blanket "forgiveness" policy.
The navy/marines paying off 6 figure student loan debt? Amazing!

Notanaviator

Contributor

What type of craft land on a carrier besides fighters, the growler, E-2 hawkeye and helos?

If one flies the growler, are they considered jet pilots and therefore go through the jet pipeline training?

Dude. Top right. Find your user name. Then go a little further to the right. There's a mailbox and a bell. Little further right is the search button. These are all great and interesting questions, that you could almost literally type into that box and likely find all the threads where these questions have been asked and answered. It's inefficient for you and not going to land you a favorable response from the humans on here if you aren't going to take the time to search around first. You'll certainly find that if you search around, learn some stuff, and circle back asking for clarification, an update to dated info, or just couldn't find that a topic has been covered, folks will be much more likely to engage.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor

Carriers…F-35, FA-18, EA-18, E-2, (C-2 for a little more), MV-22, and any naval helicopter.
LHA…Any naval helicopter, F-35B, V-22.
Cruisers, destroyers, LCS (frigates)…anti-sub helicopters
Auxiliary….any naval helicopter.

P-8’s (jet replacement for P-3) are land based sub hunters

E-2’s, C-2’s, and navy V-22’s are unarmed. Everything else is or can be armed to some degree.

Carriers…F-35, FA-18, EA-18, E-2, (C-2 for a little more), MV-22, and any naval helicopter.
LHA…Any naval helicopter, F-35B, V-22.
Cruisers, destroyers, LCS (frigates)…anti-sub helicopters
Auxiliary….any naval helicopter.

P-8’s (jet replacement for P-3) are land based sub hunters

E-2’s, C-2’s, and navy V-22’s are unarmed. Everything else is or can be armed to some degree.
Griz, thanks very much!

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Griz, thanks very much!
Keep in mind that there are a host of other aircraft in the Navy to include EP-3’s, E-6, C-20, C-26, C-40, C-130 (all of these haul people or cargo but not to carriers). There is a long list of training aircraft including some that can land on a carrier and be armed for weapons training and support aircraft for training like the F-5 and F-16 used as aggressors.

I pretty sure I’m short a few airframes here, but the buffet is long and diverse.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Keep in mind that there are a host of other aircraft in the Navy to include EP-3’s, E-6, C-20, C-26, C-40, C-130 (all of these haul people or cargo but not to carriers). There is a long list of training aircraft including some that can land on a carrier and be armed for weapons training and support aircraft for training like the F-5 MiG-28 and F-16 used as aggressors.

I pretty sure I’m short a few airframes here, but the buffet is long and diverse.
FIFY ??