• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Overseas PCS

Pags

N/A
pilot
Last move some little things grew legs and some of our wedding china got broken and they wouldn't reimburse me for it because the bill of lading said "box 54: plates" and not 10pc china set and I didn't have receipts for wedding gifts.

helo_wifey

This last move to Guam they didn't list any of our electronics separately and didn't even tag things. It was the moving company in Guam that pointed it out. Luckily everything was accounted for.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Haas anyone had bad luck with the storage? We've recently heard some horror stories about everything you put in storage coming out moldy and destroyed because the navy won't pay for climate controlled units. Anyone have experience Witt his? We have a bunch of books we were going to put in storage as wellas some bedding, but if it's going to get destroyed/molded, maybe it should just come with.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Not steak salon?

Steak salon is great. 8800 yen for the Chateaubriand is worth it, at least a couple times. But when you're drunk at 1am and want to eat 3 cheeseburgers with bacon and eggs on them.... Ace is the man to see.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Just came back from Atsugi earlier this year.

Unless your wife really wants quick (i.e. next-door) access to the wives' club, LIVE OFF BASE. It will force you to get out and see more of Japan, and as an O-3/4 w/ deps, you'll probably make $800+ tax-free per month more (Increased COLA off-base and utilities allowance is huge). We lived off-base with my kid who was 2 mos to 3 yrs old during our tour - no issues.

Amazon Prime is your friend. You can also get clothes online from a lot of retailers, and they will come with a free package for any necessary returns.

You won't be able to buy a car until you have a license, and that takes at least a week. You have to take AOB/ICR and the driving class. I don't know which banks are on Sasebo, but you can either take a few hundred bucks out every day from the ATM or have your bank send you money to the local bank. There's no need to bring a wad of G's across the Pacific with you. USAA Debit cards will work (usually) at 7-11, and some of the western banks in the big cities.

The 50Hz/electric clock thing is a little dated. Most clocks use a DC digital timer these days, but it could be an issue. More of an issue is the 100V, which makes U.S. vacuums, toasters, and hair-dryers weak. The base appliance folks should give you a transformer.

We found it was worth paying $2-3k for a solid car for the family. Even if you junk it after the tour, you've just spent $100/month for a rental - not too shabby. There are $500 cars to be found, but they often have $1000 headaches waiting to happen.

Oh ... almost forgot... don't let your wife go to any oriental rug auctions while you're at sea.

hscs

pilot
Haas anyone had bad luck with the storage? We've recently heard some horror stories about everything you put in storage coming out moldy and destroyed because the navy won't pay for climate controlled units. Anyone have experience Witt his? We have a bunch of books we were going to put in storage as wellas some bedding, but if it's going to get destroyed/molded, maybe it should just come with.
We had no issues from our stuff stored in Richmond that stayed. We did have some mold on the fabric of one of the couches.

We were on base, but our kids were of school age, and it made it easier to get the kids to school in the morning.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot

I didn't have any issues with our stuff from my Japan tour, everything came out of storage as it went in. And I had easily 8 large moving boxes full of books. We'll see if it's the same after this tour.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Thanks all. Although the allure of the cho is high, we're planning on living on base. I leave for patrol shortly after I arrive and my wife will have to move in with a 3yr old and a 4mo old to deal with at the same time. Being close to a support network ranked to the top of our requirements list. Also, there's not as much of wives club for the air dept, since it's jut a couple of JOs.

busdriver

None
I know this part is in the future, but when you go looking for a car in the base used car lot make sure you factor in the JCI date. It's basically a shake down, but cars require an inspection every two years to remain legal and they're typically expensive. So if said car is coming due factor in an additional 500ish dollars.

That said, you're not keeping this thing for more than 3-4 years so get your wife something decent and drive a beater for yourself. Most guys in my squadron in Okinawa drove complete shit boxes, if it broke you recycled it and got another one.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Good gouge. The used car lot by base sells cars with new JCIs. I'm definitely going to spend th.e money to get the wife a good car so I don't have to worry about it breaking when I'm on the boat.

I don't even know if I'm going to bother to get a car. There's a shuttle from housing to the boat, but I'll play that by ear.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
If your wife wants to talk to someone about Japan, feel free to message me. I'm know I had a lot of general questions and our sponsors were amazing, so I'd be happy to pay that forward.