• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

overcoming high g's

Nicholas Ladolcetta

Not sure if this is something that can even be done. I lent my centrifuge out to my buddy and the bastard hasn't returned it. Is there anyway I can get myself in shape to handle high g's? I've been doing some research and can't find anything. I've read how an aviator handles high g's depends on his fitness, so I was wondering specifically what kind of fitness (strength training, cardio etc.) would help.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Donuts, coffee and salt.

The Air Force has a fitness test for G's. At least they used to. (You can google it) The Navy/Marine Corps just sends you. Everyone passes (unless someone just totally freaks out clostrophobic style, which happened while I was there) and afterward they sell you a DVD with your run, as well as some workouts on it. No one does the workouts. Everyone posts their video on facebook. Then everyone says "That sucks, no way do I want to come back here".

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
He keeps it next to his sarcasm-meter...

My meter is INOP apparently, maintenance said it would be 2 hours but still broke after over 12.

P.S. For some reason I had this vision of one of those spinning thingees....

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not sure if this is something that can even be done. I lent my centrifuge out to my buddy and the bastard hasn't returned it. Is there anyway I can get myself in shape to handle high g's? I've been doing some research and can't find anything. I've read how an aviator handles high g's depends on his fitness, so I was wondering specifically what kind of fitness (strength training, cardio etc.) would help.
It's not a big deal... at all. You just resign yourself to the fact that a good 2-circle fight is going to hurt. You'll be fine.

danpass

No one has told you to search yet OP? wow :D

Here's what I found a little while back:

A. http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA204689 (PDF download)

B. http://www.cnatra.navy.mil/pubs/folder2/6110.1.pdf
6a. Based on recommendations from the Director ASTC at NASL, the greatest benefit obtained from a workout program for improving G-tolerance is through working the lower body. Specifically, a combination of squat-type exercises, leg curls, leg extensions and calf raises. These should be performed at least once per week. Also, because the number one musculoskeletal injury in jet aviators is neck strains, it is also important to include neck/trapezius exercises in a weekly program.
b. Aerobic training actually improves "staying power" by allowing rapid recovery from straining against G-forces. However, excessive training, such as needed for marathons, has been shown to produce abnormal heart rhythms in the centrifuge and is actually a detriment to G-tolerance. It is recommended that aerobic training be included in the program to allow for 20-30 minutes of moderate aerobic training three times per week and not to exceed five times per week.