• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Out-PRT minimum

Status
Not open for further replies.

gin_e

For the In-PRT you have to meet at minimum Good-Low. What do you have to meet for Out-PRT? Excellent-Low or Outstanding-Low?

gin_e

Also, do you have to do a minimum of Good-Low on everything or does your average just have to be above Good-Low? And (I seriously doubt it) but do they allow half-pushups on the knees?

Meridiani

Pushups are done from the toes. The Out-PRT is an Excellent Low. I believe you must pass Excellent Low in all categories, but I'm not certain. Perhaps someone at OCS will chime in here.
icon_smile.gif

WFU2USN

gin_e,

Yes, it must be a good-low on everything to have an "overall" good low. And it's full pushups, no 1/2 ones.

IS2(SCW)

gin_e

for my recruiter i had to do a minimum of Good-Low in each, using the new charts (divided into 5 year age groups). then your overal score is an average of your performance in all three.

jlinscott

Pat,

Sorry to hear you are still there. Look at it this way, if you are there long enough, you will turn 25 and your run time will be passing.

How many times will they let you retake it? Just curious since I know you have been there a while.

Good luck on your next run. Personally, I think you are about due for your turn to pass

megan620

EA-6B ECMO/IA Wife
Pat...
I use to have iron-deficiency anemia...and let me tell you, the supplements are a god send! The iron is part of hemoglobin, which is how the blood carries oxygen. Each hemoglobin molecule carries 4 molecules of O2, so once you get that iron level up even just seemingly small amounts, well your oxygen carrying capacity will increase 4x per hemoglobin gained! In other words...you should just keep feel better and better each day! Just keep taking the supplements as long as they suggest...and oh yeah, take your iron with orange juice if possible. Vitamin C enhances your body's absorption of Iron, and Calcium inhibits it, so avoid taking the supplement with milk (you can have milk at the same meal, just take the pill with OJ or some citrus fruit). I can relate to your feeling like a whole new person....it took 3 different types of iron supplements for me to get my iron levels up, and my energy levels skyrocketed! Good luck on that run, I'm sure you'll make it very soon!

kn

Patmack:

I'm glad they finally figured out what the problem was for you. Here's some more info on iron deficiency: http://my.webmd.com/content/healthwise/15/3802.htm

Just out of curiosity though, did you bloodwork done at MEPS show anything abnormal, or did your iron deficiency start at OCS? Were you able to keep up in longer (4-5 mile) battalion runs? Anyhow, let us know how it works out for you.

Good luck.

WFU2USN

patmack,

I had the same thing come up when I was on active duty - before then I never knew I was hereditarily (sp??) anemic - I had a CAPT call me into his office and inform me he was prescribing me pre-natal vitamins ...

I was like WHAT?!?! It's bc of the high iron count, etc.. I've also had the "10 gallons" of blood taken for all those tests...it was very crazy!

Hang in there! You'll get that 10 sec.!

:) Robin

gin_e

i can't imagine how you ended up with an iron deficiency. i've only heard of it resulting from excessive blood loss, especially in women. it is also very dangerous to take too much iron since the body cannot get rid of excess iron, you should avoid taking supplements for this reason, and instead just adjust your diet to eat foods with more iron (like red meat, beans, lentils, millet, chickpeas, dark leafy greens, molasses, dried apricots, dried peaches, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, pistachios, walnuts, almonds, scallops, clams, oysters, soybeans, etc).

NuSnake

It is a hereditary thing, not something that just happens I dont believe....of course the only basis I have for that is because Ive had a couple buddies with it.

If a frog had wings he wouldnt bump his ass all the time

WFU2USN

gin_e

Yes, you can be hereditarily anemic - it's called thallasemia. Basically my body functions normally, but is used to a lower level of iron. No bleeding out, etc. I'm just "low iron." and that's how it is. I don't feel run down or anything else bc I'm accustomed to the lower level and still being active. To bring up my iron levels, eating all those types of food didn't drastically change my iron levels, so the Navy gave me iron pills.

It's not a big deal, I'm just aware of it and it'll be important to take suppplements down the road when I get pregnant and need higher iron.

:)

megan620

EA-6B ECMO/IA Wife
gin_e:
you can become iron deficient, and get anemia as a result of not gettign enough iron in your diet for a long enough period of time. You don't have to lose blood for this to happen. If your iron levels are as low as Patmack's you need a supplement (under a dietician's or hematologist's supervision, of course) to get the iron level back to normal, and once they reach that point, then you stop taking the supplement and make sure your diet is containing the proper amount. There are several types of anemia, but for iron-deficiency anemia, an iron supplement, such as ferrous sulfate, is HIGHLY reccommended and has been shown to be the best treatment (again under supervision) in several medical studies (printed in reputable medical journals) over the years. If your iron is only a tiny bit low, of course you wouldn't need supplementation, but like I said, in Patmack's case, being at only 60% of the normal level...a supplement is the best choice.

submariner8

Does anyone know how much (if any) rest you get between the run, push-ups, and sit-ups during the PRT at OCS? Also, is there a specific order they are done in?

Thanks!

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.