• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Our Air Force(s)?

This is nonsense.

You didn't even list the Air Force's largest responsibility: Materiel research and acquisition. AFMC (Air Force Materiel Command) is the most highly funded part of the Air Force and has the second most personnel.

Strategic Bombing capability is still an important asset to maintain. As well as dedicated Air Superiority (another thing you didn't mention).

Besides...who the hell is going to run the Space A Travel counter so I can go f**k off in some other country when I am on leave?

Heh, whatever dude I tried...call it non-sense...or calll it resourcefulness. I prefer the second option. Space A blows especially when your Category 5, and have 3 other brothers and sisters who don't shut up...and everyone and their mother is trying to go exactly where your going...

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Space a (through the Air Force) SUCKS, They dont believe in no-cost TDY orders at all, and treat you like freakin idiots. I've flown from fort worth to north island 4 times roundtrip, never had a complaint, but the 1 time I tried to fly out of Hickam I was frustrated by their incompetence.

T37Driver

Lone Warrior
Man, not one of those Air Force Sucks topics again. I get it, We're in the Navy, we're awesome and we have alot of self pride. GET OVER IT!!! The USAF has their mission and I'm sure they carry it through with full professionalism just like us. They have equipment and aircraft (mostly better than ours) and they know how to execute their mission just as we do ours. WTF man? It all boils down to us just making ourselves feel better.

This Sh*t has gotten real old. Just like the old talks about Helos VS Jets, Harriers VS Hornets and this USAF VS USN. I'm sure the same sh*t goes on on any Air Force forum but da*n, it's really gotten old.

BTW, I do have to give the AF girls the vote on the better looking ones compared on most other military chicas. Don't know why that is but just my little experience in the 27 months I've had in the Navy.

A.Kuettel

Not to say that the AF doesn't have a purpose, because they do; but they get such an inflated budget compared to the rest of the services. And the reason why they get so much more money? Because they have more people in congress, not because the money is essential to there mission.

fighterpfeif

T37Driver said:
BTW, I do have to give the AF girls the vote on the better looking ones compared on most other military chicas. Don't know why that is but just my little experience in the 27 months I've had in the Navy.

Rarely get deployed, sit on a base in the CONUS that is better maintained than any other service. Every job in the AF has a civilian counter part. Little chance of getting shot at. Pick. Except for Security Forces, Aircrew, and AFSOF the AF is pretty cushy. You are serving, yet you kinda of aren't serving at the same time.

T37Driver

Lone Warrior
fighterpfeif said:
Rarely get deployed, sit on a base in the CONUS that is better maintained than any other service. Every job in the AF has a civilian counter part. Little chance of getting shot at. Pick. Except for Security Forces, Aircrew, and AFSOF the AF is pretty cushy. You are serving, yet you kinda of aren't serving at the same time.

Rarely get deployed...Hmmm. If they can maintain full readiness sitting at their home base; Kudos to them. A well maintained base, I think navy would have them too if we didn't have to spend money on all those ships but we need them of course for our mission so we can't spend all the money on a nice facility. Little chance of getting shot at what? An Air Force slot. Yes I do know that. The more picky they are, The better. Get more quality people that way if your screening process is better.

Talk about serving and not serving at the same time. How about some SNAs and SNFOs having to wait six to eight months sitting in the A-Pool before the even class up for API and then waiting to start Primary and even advanced training. I had people in my API class that went to Corpus and Whiting while I went to Vance. I graduated a full 2 months ahead of most of them. Is navy syllabus a lot longer than air force's, NOPE.

So once again, there are things that can be picked on about every service. Also, when did it become mandatory for you to work in a not so ideal environment to serve your country? If the Air Force can take care of their personnel, GREAT. Let them do it if they can still fulfill their mission. What was that mission again? To defend the United States through the Control and exploitation of Air Space. LOL, I may have some words wrong in there but I think I still remember some of it.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
SpiderUSMC said:
Also no one has mentioned the USAF's large intelligence gathering burden.

The Air Force doesn't have the largest "intelligence gathering burden" of the five services...

Check your info.

Rarely get deployed...Hmmm. If they can maintain full readiness sitting at their home base; Kudos to them. A well maintained base, I think navy would have them too if we didn't have to spend money on all those ships but we need them of course for our mission so we can't spend all the money on a nice facility.

It depends on your definiton of full readiness. The Air Force has a drastically different definition - one that doesn't involve boots on the ground and immediate response. Also the Air Force has their expensive toys as well, they simply have a much greater amount of resources given to them, and they allocate a much greater proportion to health and comfort of their personnel.

The Naval services allocate more towards training and operations. (In my estimation, I don't feel like going to the GAO website and double checking all these numbers right now).

Personally I think a lot of "human comfort" issues are crap. They are designed to increase morale, but the best morale I have ever seen was when we were living here:

n19714327_30284176_8944.jpg

SpiderUSMC

HueyCobra8151 said:
The Air Force doesn't have the largest "intelligence gathering burden" of the five services...

Check your info.

I never said they did. I just said they have a large one. U-2 and UAVs are just a few tools they use (I'm forgetting one of the planes...RC-135?). I'm sure we all know they're not just about shooting down planes and bombs on target. My father spent most of his Air Force career working in the intelligence field....not that he could ever talk about it.

intelligence field

They have an intelligence gathering force too? wow..Now that I think about it so does the Army, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard, CIA, FBI, NSA, DEA, NDIC, SOCOM the list goes on.....these are just the ones I can think of...cause there are sure as hell more. This is a whole other can of beef & stew, that needs to be fixed...unless it already has :confused:

The other Intelligence Agencies

U-2 and UAVs are just a few tools they use (I'm forgetting one of the planes...RC-135?)

Oh my friend, the U-2 is becoming a thing of the past with the onset of spy Satelites. Fill me in on this one here, isn't it being used as a high altitude research platform?...not quite sure on that. The Army and Navy both use UAVs as well.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
goosegagnon2 said:
Oh my friend, the U-2 is becoming a thing of the past with the onset of spy Satelites. Fill me in on this one here, isn't it being used as a high altitude research platform?...not quite sure on that. The Army and Navy both use UAVs as well.
Nothing could be further from the truth. There is actually a shift away from the big ISR national assets (i.e. Keyhole series) towards air breathing assets like U-2, UAVs and follow on programs. They are more flexible and much less expensive to design, launch, operate than satellites.

Brett

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
goosegagnon2 said:
ICBMS------>NASA
Satelites----->NASA

Can I assume you were kidding here? I know I'm not the only one who thinks it's fvcking crazy to give two legs of the nuclear triangle to a civilan organization...