• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Other community's views on Intel Officers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
l7le said:
What's OPSO?
Ahh, where to start? OPSO is the Dept Head in the squadron who's responsible for planning and execution of flight ops, training requirements, etc.

Brett

l7le

L -- Loc
7 -- 7th person who went to University of California, SD with the Last name Le and first initial L.
Le -- Le

l7le@ucsd.edu -- my school email address. Too lazy to think of something creative like WannaJoinForTheUniform and MyDadAfter6YearsInARe-educationCampAnd15YearsIntheARVNSaysIDon'tHaveTheBallstoBeInTheMilitary.
I had other ones but I can't remember any at the moment.

**Hmmmmm...I thought someone asked me what L7le stood for. Guess not.**

l7le

Haha, I'm all over Western Washington. Grew up in Tacoma, moved to Seattle, then moved to Everett, then 4 great years in San Diego, then crap got a job in Washington that pays well. Back to everett, commute to Renton. Where did my plan go wrong?? Didn't marry the rich girl from Socal. Oh how I miss PB, Gaslamp, USD catholic girls where the school ratio is 80%female20%male, SDSU where all the ****s gather, Sungod festival(UCSD tradition of going everyone going to school drunk), Oceans11 where it was never easier to win at poker against the marines that dropped by.

F'ing Washington...

A4sForever said:
I just re-read your post ... my hat's off to your Dad. Hope he's doing well ...

Growing up in my family where almost every adult currently in the states, has served during the Vietnam War, and our family villages being in Quang Nam, and almost all of them stationed in Quang Ngai and the other states in the Central Highlands, u hear the grizzly tales of war. Then u hear the comments of losing a war when they all get together and get drunk, does make u feel like u don't have what it takes. Compounded with the fact that most of these guys just grew up to be simple rice farmers and me, my siblings, and cousins growing up in the states had the "sheltered" life. Makes u feel kinda lucky, also motivates u more to be able to protect a country rather than wait and feel what it's like to lose one. <-- Haha, funny thing is i'm a democrat and all my friends are pretty much liberal wonder why the hell I would want to risk my life in the military.

**sorry for all the threadjacking

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
makana said:
I can speak for the joint intelligence centers, though. That is where the real analysis is done and not necessarily the "three letter" agencies. My hangup with CIA analysis is they did not share info and from what I hear post-9/11, they still don't share very well. FBI's only international intelligence division is counter-intel so they don't really count. NRO is simply a resource to deploy assets, so they don't count either. NSA is only concerned with SIGINT, regardless of what other sources say (i.e. IMINT, HUMINT, etc). Same goes regarding NIMA/NGA and imagery. The only three-letter agency I will give credit to is DIA. Not sure exactly which agencies you were referring to but this is my very simplified opinion of our intel community. So in your defense, there is probably little analysis necessary at the squadron level, thus Hapenblap simply passes the info on, like you said.

Ummm...not to beat a dead horse, but I'll piggyback on Brett's comments from earlier. Careful with preconceived notions regarding various agencies. Most are doing far more than anyone may imagine, and most also have integrees from the other agencies working within their organizations for joint production. I agree that a significant amount of work is done at the JIC/JAC level; but unless you've taken the grand tour through the national agencies for more than a quick Powerpoint show, you might want to reevaluate just what they produce or are involved in. Much never makes it to the theater or unit level because it is national level only. My analysts (yes, "my") at my undisclosed office would take exception to the notion that they simply pass raw info, and so would "the" Director.

Just two cents, FWIW...

ocstwentyone

ENS, SC, USN
Hmm.. after reading many of the posts on this site it seems to me that aviation officers have a very grand view of themselves, but not really anyone else. i find that disappointing and i hope that the aviation officers that i run into in the fleet don't have this characteristic.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
ocstwentyone said:
Hmm.. after reading many of the posts on this site it seems to me that aviation officers have a very grand view of themselves, but not really anyone else. i find that disappointing and i hope that the aviation officers that i run into in the fleet don't have this characteristic.
Damn skippy, what do you think that bio portion of the ASTB was all about? We don't want any sally's in our wardroom.

But if you think WE are full of ourselves, just wait till you spend some time around some 1120 Nukes, man, all the cockiness and smarts of an aviatior, but none of the charm, social graces or natural good looks of an aviator... poor black shoes, I'll drink an Orion for ya!

makana

I wake up in the morning & I piss excellence.
pilot
Goober said:
Ummm...not to beat a dead horse, but I'll piggyback on Brett's comments from earlier. Careful with preconceived notions regarding various agencies. Most are doing far more than anyone may imagine, and most also have integrees from the other agencies working within their organizations for joint production. I agree that a significant amount of work is done at the JIC/JAC level; but unless you've taken the grand tour through the national agencies for more than a quick Powerpoint show, you might want to reevaluate just what they produce or are involved in. Much never makes it to the theater or unit level because it is national level only. My analysts (yes, "my") at my undisclosed office would take exception to the notion that they simply pass raw info, and so would "the" Director.

Just two cents, FWIW...
I admitted my summary of the IC was simplified and didn't mean to offend you or anyone else and you are certainly entitled to stick up for your agency (as was I). I don't doubt the entire community is doing more than meets the eye. I was simply speaking from my own experience as an all-source analyst who compiles the raw data from all sources to produce something that can be useful at any level, be it strategic or tactical. Believe me, I know what it feels like to have products that don't make it to the upper echelons just because you are not in the Beltway.

I'm not sure what Powerpoint show you are referring to but in talking with the various agencies several times a day in order to cover all bases you get a pretty good feel for their take on the issues. This daily "warm and fuzzy" is what I based my simplified opinion of the IC on. Again, no offense.

And as for "the" Director, of course he is going to be a little biased about where he gets his intel from, hence his title and office location.

Status
Not open for further replies.