• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Osprey TH-57 pipeline

mattsource57

Does anyone have any information on how long the TH-57 training is up at Whiting for MV-22 SNA's? Also, when is the first squadron being stood up in Miramar?

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
The helo sylabus for the Osprey bubbas is considerably shorter than the sylabus for normal Rotary. They don't have to do any of the RI sylabus, that alone eliminates about 2 months!!!

Does anyone have any information on how long the TH-57 training is up at Whiting for MV-22 SNA's? Also, when is the first squadron being stood up in Miramar?

Rubiks06

pilot
My fam partner was an Osprey guy when i went through. We started in May he was finished in September and i was finished in November. So yeah. Its about two months shorter. They dont do the RI stuff because they already have their cloud cards from the c-12. They also dont do most of the BI stuff.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
They brief it as 17 weeks for Osprey bubbas. Take that with a grain of salt for wx, skeds, squadron, etc. I think that's fairly accurate though.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
If you want to talk to a recently winged Osprey guy let me know, I can get you in contact with him.

S.O.B.

pilot
Are Osprey's a desirable selection these days? I would think that would be an awesome way to go.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I know that if the Navy had them as a selection that would've been my first choice.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Agreed. I'm pretty envious of my lean green machine brothers in 35 right now.

I don't know how many put it as their first choice, though. Woulda been mine.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
The Tilt Rotors guys do not do: BI flights, RI flights, RI sims, AirNavs, VNavs, AirNav Sim, Ship Sar sim, Sar flight and Transfams C4701-2. They also have to do Forms/night fams/Boat hop prior to NVG's.

Lt Awesome

Does anyone know what the commitment is for Ospreys?

We are the first class in VT-35 doing the new Osprey syllabus. They added about 30 hours of instruments. It is 96 hours now. We do more than the C-130 guys and don't get wings. Pretty sweet. I don't think they changed the helo portion at all though right?

Last word on Miramar is middle to late next year but they are telling us not to expect to go there. I will still keep my fingers crossed

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I believe everyone is on the 8 year plan now. Jets, helos, props, and tiltrotors, unless they changed it...again.

They will be standing up the V-22 cell in Miramar next year, but don't look for them to actually start training there until the next year. I don't think they've figured out exactly how the flow is going to work, i.e. is the whole squadron going TAD for the whole syllabus, front loading the sims at Miramar, then going to NCA, etc. Remember that the maintainers actually have to start their training BEFORE the pilots IOT stand up a squadron and that there are still 2 more squadrons to switch over at NCA, first.

mattsource57

Thanks for everyone that posted a reply; I am selecting in two weeks and it is hard to find any information. I am hopeful that Miramar will be open by the time I finish.

Thanks again,

Matt

Yankee Uniform Tango
I believe everyone is on the 8 year plan now. Jets, helos, props, and tiltrotors, unless they changed it...again.

The contract I signed a few weeks back had the commitment for rotary at 6.

The more and more I read about the missions of each individual USMC platform, the more attracted I am to assault support. Getting an Osprey slot in particular would be damn sweet.