• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Osprey Heads to Afghanistan

busdriver

None
I'm curious how the V-22 will do in Afghanistan myself.

How much cargo capability does the GAU-2 turret system remove once installed? In other words, why not put one on every MV-22? Remove it if you need to do cargo sling operations.

Planning to land in a hot LZ is bad practice in general, like Phrog said fly like you're in Vietnam, plan to got shot down like you're in Vietnam.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
This thread has turned into a very interesting and "grown-up airwarriors coversation" and whenever someone (including myself in a thread like this) trys to understand and contribute, it comes out like that. :D

I just didn't understand the 500lb bombs on the wings of a V-22 comment. I just hoped he was joking. Even I don't think that's the best use of a V-22.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
I just didn't understand the 500lb bombs on the wings of a V-22 comment. I just hoped he was joking. Even I don't think that's the best use of a V-22.

I figured. Would you mount them backwards so that you could go to hover mode and drop them?

haha. I had 1 osprey onwing...hope he's doing well...all I know about V-22s are that they don't have as much helo syllabus as other helo SNAs.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I figured. Would you mount them backwards so that you could go to hover mode and drop them?

Heheheh, it would also make a great A/A platform what with the vectored thrust, and given enough guns the V-22 could perform the still to this day classified "death blossom" maneuver just in case AQ and the Ko-Dan join forces... :)

Follow-on question: If USAF Major Kong rides a bomb out the back of a Marine V-22, can he self-nominate for join credit?

haha. I had 1 osprey onwing...hope he's doing well...all I know about V-22s are that they don't have as much helo syllabus as other helo SNAs.

Seems that early on, big USMC decided to take advantage of the speed and range by flying these things much higher than typical helo profiles. "Hi-lo-hi" is like a foreign language to helo bubbas like us used to "lo-lo-lo-lo-lo-lo..." It's a statement of the obvious to say it isn't a helicopter and it isn't an airplane either.

bobbybrock

None
Y
'Course, Dustoffs fly around with no weapons going into tight spots on a daily basis... and they are also shot at nearly every day.

That doesn't make it right. I just completed an OEF tour flying dustoff. I never went into a hot LZ by my lonesome. You have to understand the amount of resources ( AH-64's, OH-58's A-10's) that are used to make sure we get our guys out.
In our ten months ( guard unit ) we lost no airframes to hostile fire. Chalk that up to the support of the aforementioned resources.
Not sure of the TTP for the V-22 guys, but I'd think they would have some similar support.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
We still haven't stopped crashing Harriers and you don't hear people freaking out everytime one of those goes in...
Heard the VP at Boeing speak a few years ago and he said that ADM Mullen (then-CNO) committed to purchasing 48 Ospreys for the Navy.
The Navy needed to buy that many to keep the unit cost for the Marine Corps at the right level so they could get the amount they required.
ADM Mullen asked Boeing to do a think-piece on how best the Navy couple employ the Osprey... Why are we asking contractors to solve this issue???
My recommendation is to solve this issue in the same manner we should solve the vast majority of Navy issues; take 10 smart JO's (no SWO's apply) and lock them in a room. Keep shoving pizzas under the door until they come up with a good answer.
This way, you keep 'career ambitions' and politics out of the process.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
We still haven't stopped crashing Harriers and you don't hear people freaking out everytime one of those goes in...
Heard the VP at Boeing speak a few years ago and he said that ADM Mullen (then-CNO) committed to purchasing 48 Ospreys for the Navy.
The Navy needed to buy that many to keep the unit cost for the Marine Corps at the right level so they could get the amount they required.
ADM Mullen asked Boeing to do a think-piece on how best the Navy couple employ the Osprey... Why are we asking contractors to solve this issue???
My recommendation is to solve this issue in the same manner we should solve the vast majority of Navy issues; take 10 smart JO's (no SWO's apply) and lock them in a room. Keep shoving pizzas under the door until they come up with a good answer.
This way, you keep 'career ambitions' and politics out of the process.

+1
FINALLY! I've been screaming this for years. Why is it that they don't take legitimate debate from the operational level? Yeah yeah I know, "We take input from the operators out in the field all of the time, how do you think we come up with the demand for said projects?" Exactly, you get the demand and maybe a few inputs here and there and then once it hits the beltway, it takes on a mind of its own!

Everyone knows that ready room discussions solve the world's issues - to include things like, "Why the hell is a gold-plated bird so important to the way we do things when we could do more with less for less money and less people involved in the process?" to quote Col Boyd.

But we also know that no matter how much pizza was shoved under that door, the answer that resulted would be taken by the Constellation's in the 5 sided building and morphed into whatever they needed. So I propose that if someone gives us the chance to actually debate the issue to come up with a solution, that they sign the 'Ready-Room Debate Contract'.

Incessant Rambling complete.

Full disclosure - I have yet to find the draft for the aforementioned contract :confused::icon_wink