• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Osprey down off Australian Coast

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Sad stuff, the article really lays it out the state of the Marines airframe maintenance issues. I hope the find the rest of the crew alive.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Quick pitch for those of you who find yourselves on a FAC tour with a MEU. Fight the good fight against your BLT Commander for troops riding as passengers be slick in the aircraft (flak off, horse collar only) while feet wet for non-combat missions. When the horse collars get passed in you can throw flaks back on. I lost this fight, but ended up doing it myself anyway, I just didn't think it was worth the risk. From what I had been told from some folks, flying with out flaks was a significant factor in cases where everyone got out after a water landing.

The biggest argument against it was "we need to train like we fight." I argued that it was actually easier/ less moving parts to keep flaks on the entire time for combat mission, so we would have actually downgraded to something easier for combat, but I lost that argument.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Apparently, the media thinks "mishap" needs to be in scare quotes, like we're trying to downplay things with euphemisms or something. :rolleyes: