• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Orthotics for Running

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
How often should a runner get new custom orthotics? I've had mine for 8 years---has my body changed enough to warrant new ones? Is this something that Tricare covers, or is it usually out of pocket? Thanks!

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Do you use the orthotics just for the heck of it, or do you have a real foot problem?

I've gotten a couple sets of custom orthotics via tricare because I have plantar fasciitis. Had it for about 2 years, and have recieved 2 custom sets for free. I'm actually going to see the podiatrist again in a few days....may end up with another pair again!

My point is that if you have a problem, you get them for free. I'm not sure how it works if you just want them for comfort's sake.

Clux4

Banned
I had one made for me at Lejeune a while back and it was made with Carbon fiber. According to the tech, they are suppose to last anywhere from 5 to 8 years. Tricare covered it.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I overpronate severely due to my flat feet. I'll go see if I can get a new set made. Mine are 8 years old and are definitely not carbon fiber. They've been recovered about 4-5 times and I think they're about done. I was just curious to see if the lifespan of orthotics depends on how long they physically last, or if new ones should be made every X number of years due to changing bone structure, body mass, etc.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
I overpronate severely due to my flat feet. I'll go see if I can get a new set made. Mine are 8 years old and are definitely not carbon fiber. They've been recovered about 4-5 times and I think they're about done. I was just curious to see if the lifespan of orthotics depends on how long they physically last, or if new ones should be made every X number of years due to changing bone structure, body mass, etc.

Ok, you'll probably have to see the flight doc and get referred to the podiatrist. It's not that big a deal as far as going med down goes, so go for it!

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
At eight years old I bet they should be replaced. When I was active, I had mine replaced every two years.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Regarding seeing a flight surgeon (so I don't go med down I assume). I'm at NASP. Do I just go to the health clinic and ask to see one, or is there a special building for the flight docs? Thanks everyone!

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Just as one of the HMs what you need in order to get a consult. Sometimes flight docs will let their IDCs make that call.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Regarding seeing a flight surgeon (so I don't go med down I assume). I'm at NASP. Do I just go to the health clinic and ask to see one, or is there a special building for the flight docs? Thanks everyone!

C420,
Hopefully you've gotten the word that the clinic at NASP is closed for rework. They are working out of Corry clinic (North of Chief's Way on Petty Officer's Way). You can go down to Enlisted School's command clinic, they usually have a few flight surgeons hanging around.

-ea6bflyr ;)

DangerousDan

I could tell you but I would have to kill you
How often should a runner get new custom orthotics? I've had mine for 8 years---has my body changed enough to warrant new ones? Is this something that Tricare covers, or is it usually out of pocket? Thanks!

Im actually trying to get two sets of them for my boots so that I can wear them during my IA. Ill bring it up to the doc tomorrow.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
C420,
Hopefully you've gotten the word that the clinic at NASP is closed for rework. They are working out of Corry clinic (North of Chief's Way on Petty Officer's Way). You can go down to Enlisted School's command clinic, they usually have a few flight surgeons hanging around.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Thanks for the heads up! I will head over there tomorrow or sometime next week. Dan, I will let you know what I find out.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Go see the flight doc for NASC....he'll set up the referal. Thats how I started the process.

Fetter

I am curious, do you guys actually run with the rigid orthotics? I have flat feet and consequently use a custom hard plastic pair for everything. If the doc says it is better to run on a soft surfaces rather than pavement, I would assume running is better on softer more flexible orthotics as well.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
I am curious, do you guys actually run with the rigid orthotics? I have flat feet and consequently use a custom hard plastic pair for everything. If the doc says it is better to run on a soft surfaces rather than pavement, I would assume running is better on softer more flexible orthotics as well.

Running on a softer surface should be easier on your lower body. As far as the orthotics go, you could always ask your podiatrist or whoever built your inserts. My first 2 sets of inserts were meant for all around use, they didnt end up being the best for running. I just started with a news set that are rigid, but also cushioned underneath the hard plastic specifically for running. My most recent set were built by a guy that understands the need for an insert that will work in a combat boot, then can be switched to a shoe for running.

I use orthotics for plantar fasciitis/high arches....so my problem is the opposite of yours! I need the rigidity for my arches, I don't know how rigid orthotics impact flat feet.

greencard

Hey guys I know endorsements can seem like shady promotions on forums, but I have been using the same brand of store bought orthotics for a few years know and they are awesome! Superfeet! that is the brand name. They are only $30, and they last at least six months to a year, they are washable, an most importantly they are not "Gellin"

If you find their website you will see what sets them apart from other really cheap orthotics.