• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Orthokeratology in Past and Medical Exam

bitterchaos

I am currently in the process of applying for the BDCP. I've wanted to fly in the navy as a naval officer since I was about 8 and I have been working towards this for as long as I can remember. However, I do have some concerns about my vision.

After reading through numerous posts and research online, I gathered that orthokeratology is disqualifying. Learning that, I stopped wearing my ortho-k lens this past March to let my cornea recover and get prescriptions for glasses/soft lens. I just went to the optometrist today and got soft lens and my uncorrected prescription (20/100 in both eyes with slight astigmatism). I no longer wear Ortho-K as of a few months ago, but I was told that the navy asks if I have worn ortho-k in the past. Now my question is, will the fact that I wore ortho-k lens in the past be a disqualifying factor for NFO?

Also, how is the medical exam carried out? Do they test my eyes uncorrected without glasses/contacts or with them on?

Finally, is it possible, if admitted into the BDCP, to use part of the money received to undergo PRK surgery and then re-negotiate the contract for a pilot slot?

Lobster

Also, how is the medical exam carried out? Do they test my eyes uncorrected without glasses/contacts or with them on?

Finally, is it possible, if admitted into the BDCP, to use part of the money received to undergo PRK surgery and then re-negotiate the contract for a pilot slot?

From what I can remember they test your eyes uncorrected at meps and then if there is something that they need to check they will ask you to go to the eye doc and get checked out before they give you a final select letter. In my case I was 20/25 at meps and had to go to an eye doc to get checked out and I was 20/20 at the doc, worked in my favor.

As far as PRK goes I know a few guys on here have gotten it done including nugget61, he's got a whole thread on his process. I don't think you're allowed to get PRK done once sworn into the program.