• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Origin of term warfighter

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
NOT TRUE !!!

Classic_Hero_Sandwich.jpg
:)

LOL....let me be more specific then: when applied to "warfighters" or citizens (after 9/11 seems like Heroes were everywhere...and not the sandwiches)

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
I would also gladly accept any ground time that I might be able to get in.

ASHWND,

Take your grubby paws, reach up and back, grab the yellow and black handles and EJECT-EJECT-EJECT! You are making an ass out yourself and have barely the background, experience and qalification to run a Jr. ROTC unit much less critique career officer's definition of warfighter.

If you so desperately seek "ground time" there are several disciplines to expedite your arrival there...of those, SWO isn't the quickest route. That alone is a clear indicator that you'll be one of the trash talking officers who tries to get stationed with a ground unit with the faint hope of hearing a shot go off in a distant street, and immediately submitting yourself for a Combat Action Ribbon. All the while forgetting about the hundreds of kids who walk the streets every night.(Warfighters) You'd be much more useful learning how to properly take care of your Sailors...and learning how to lead.

That said, I suggest you refer to a thread from a couple months ago where we tossed around the true meaning of "Warrior." There is most definitely a difference bewteen contributing to the war effort, and fighting the war.

I don't often post, or pipe up on topics of this sort, but for you to come to the board, and unqualified Jr. officer and spout your gung-ho ideals and casual description of wars that have claimed dozens of my close friends and continue to kill and maim young Soldiers, Sailors, Marines and Airmen is frankly arrogant, naive and unprofessional. Drive on, go "get your killin' on."

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
Words I can live without:

warrior
warfighter
hero

I cringe a little when I get called one of those. I fly airplanes and enjoy the hell out of my job but even my worst day as a P-3 guy is going to be a lot better than one of the guys who carry a rifle for a living. Warrior, warfighter, hero, I am not. Naval Aviator I am, and that's ok for me.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What about sea warrior? There is a shit-ton of swocabulary like that which I are a little swoverated.

You, like the original target of thread, would be wise to hold your tongue instead of criticizing any MOS, regardless of their score on a "warfighter" scale.

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
You, like the original target of thread, would be wise to hold your tongue instead of criticizing any MOS, regardless of their score on a "warfighter" scale.

I wasn't criticizing any MOS, designator, anything, anyone, etc. I found humor in an entire thread being devoted to hammering a college student with a SWO pin avatar who calls himself a warfighter. My apologies if it came out any other way.

FlyinRock

A4's
AFUUCKINMAN!!
I think that term came about with that dipshit Alex Haig who was a political hack and unfortunately wore a uniform and never faced a flying bullet his entire freakin life.
Warfighter to me smacks of liberal terms to make it sound "tough" or Butch as they like to say.
I still feel anyone who goes in harms way is a warrior. Warfighter sounds to me, and always has, like a pentagon planner. It don't make a shit if you are on the ground eye to eye with the enemy, or hitting his ass from FL 200. The risk factor is different but dead is dead, and crippled is crippled. Why play with words like Obummer does?
Semper Fi
Rocky

lmnop

I think that term came about with that dipshit Alex Haig who was a political hack and unfortunately wore a uniform and never faced a flying bullet his entire freakin life.

Just curious, Haig's military record seems to indicate otherwise (DSC, Silver Star, Purple Heart, etc), is there something that the public record is missing?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4's
AFUUCKINMAN!!
I think that term came about with that dipshit Alex Haig who was a political hack and unfortunately wore a uniform and never faced a flying bullet his entire freakin life. Warfighter to me smacks of liberal terms to make it sound "tough" or Butch as they like to say.
I still feel anyone who goes in harms way is a warrior. Warfighter sounds to me, and always has, like a pentagon planner. It don't make a shit if you are on the ground eye to eye with the enemy, or hitting his ass from FL 200. The risk factor is different but dead is dead, and crippled is crippled. Why play with words like Obummer does?
Semper Fi
Rocky

Are you talking about former Secretary of State Alexander Haig? Retired General? Veteran of Korea and Vietnam? Winner of two Silver Stars and the Distingushed Service Cross? The same guy?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor