• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Orientation for priors who are not MECEP/STA-21

PapaC03

I've been doing a good deal of searching the forums, but I'm having some trouble with this topic in specific. As a prior service guy what should I expect from Orientation Week? Is it basically the same deal the guys coming right out of high school go through? or a little different? I have a general knowledge of what O-Week is for, I'm just trying to get an idea of where prior guys that are not MECEP/STA-21 stand in all of this. I'm not stressing it too much due to the 13 weeks of fun I had at MCRD San Diego, I'm really just trying to get a rough idea of what's expected and what I'll be doing. Any insight on this is greatly appreciated gentlemen.

-Chad

HueyCobra8151

pilot
I think it varies from place to place. Ours was a mini-bootcamp ran by the students.

It was sort of surreal doing it as a prior because the guy yelling at you is not intimidating at all and you are more bored than anything - but the guys around you who have no prior experience will often be pretty stressed out.

I would imagine the expectation is that you use your knowledge base to help out your peers.

PapaC03

I think that will be the hardest part, having a guy in your face yelling at you with no prior military service at all.

Im not trying to say I'm better than they are by any means, and in all honesty they are closer to being an officer than I am. Its just going to be a little weird having a college kid yell at me like I'm a phase I recruit after 4 years of AD service.

Its kindof funny picturing it in my head the way you mention it. Did they know you were prior service sir?

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Definitely varies place to place. Some places even make it a feel good experience. I'd say that you'll probably be bored. Don't let the fact that they're students get to you. If that gets to you, then you're fucked when it comes time for your squad leader that still has his 18 year old acne to question your "military appearance" after you rush to formation from calculus class. When you're the one who knows how to march and sounds off louder than everyone combined, they'll figure it out with a quickness. I did it for three years and could always pick out the ones with training after the first 15 minutes. The MECEPs/STAs on staff will try harder to get at you for awhile and then make you a squad leader, but the midshipman staff will probably just go for the easier targets. YMMV.

PapaC03

I'm sure I'll get over it. Like I Said in my other post I'm excited to be a MIDN, I guess I'm just trying to gauge what kind of position Ill be in before I get there.

The MECEPs/STAs on staff will try harder to get at you for awhile and then make you a squad leader, but the midshipman staff will probably just go for the easier targets. YMMV.

Really? I figured those guys would be the ones that would cut you some slack, coming from the same place.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Its just going to be a little weird having a college kid yell at me like I'm a phase I recruit after 4 years of AD service.

Caution: Don't get carried away trying to impress those appointed over you (or your peers) as to your "Prior" status. If you maintain your military bearing, respond to orders crisply, and follow through on all assigned tasks...they will soon come to realize that you have 'been around' and you'll have earned respect by your actions, not words!
BzB, former Prior

PapaC03

Caution: Don't get carried away trying to impress those appointed over you (or your peers) as to your "Prior" status. If you maintain your military bearing, respond to orders crisply, and follow through on all assigned tasks...they will soon come to realize that you have 'been around' and you'll have earned respect by your actions, not words!
BzB, former Prior
Absolutely. I have no intention of trying to impress anyone while I'm there with my prior service, and I meant no harm with my above statement. I just want to get a feel for what to expect as much as possible to sort of help my transition and gain a little knowledge on the subject :) Your advice is appreciated sir

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Don't ruin the training for everyone else. Some people actually learn something from the "games" that are played, and in certain circumstances small scholarships are handed out for superior performance. Don't let anyone around you think that it's all bullshit, and you've seen "way better" or "way harder". For most ROTC kids, this is the only "boot camp" they will ever have...

If you have some trouble with the way things are done, quietly take notes and volunteer to run it yourself next year.

Joe Smith

To follow Wlawr's advice sit back while there and realize how much those kids are doing to put on that O-Week. At my unit we held O-Week and Great Lakes in the same buildings Navy bootcamp takes place. They got 4-6 hours of sleep a night and because of the restrictions on that high profile base they couldn't leave the barracks unless accompanied by Red Ropes (Navy DI's). Red ropes were never available. So we were stuck in the barracks doing what we called prison workouts (Crossfit workouts requiring no equipment) to get workouts in. At the end of the day I think the MIDN putting bootcamp on learn way more than the kids going through it. Bottom line is MIDN tend to be far better at the things expected of them at an NROTC unit than priors because they don't play that card. You'll do great. After going through it myself I can say to stay clear of the priors whos attitude is they have nothing to learn. I was an outstanding prt and sailor of the year type guy and I was shocked how much I learned.

PapaC03

Thanks for your advice, Joe. I know that I have quite a lot to learn, and of course I don't want to be the arrogant prick prior. I think from what I've gathered on AW is to just to kind of keep your prior service in the back of your head and forget about it a little bit, then when your experience is needed, turn it into something useful like helping out the MIDNs that can benefit from it.

Joe Smith

Thanks for your advice, Joe. I know that I have quite a lot to learn, and of course I don't want to be the arrogant prick prior. I think from what I've gathered on AW is to just to kind of keep your prior service in the back of your head and forget about it a little bit, then when your experience is needed, turn it into something useful like helping out the MIDNs that can benefit from it.

I have no doubt you will do well. If you show the MIDN respect and prove to be willing to work alongside them your prior experience will be treated almost like being famous. They really respect what you have done and want to show you respect, but if you are an A--hole about it then you are just another A--hole.

PapaC03

I have no doubt you will do well. If you show the MIDN respect and prove to be willing to work alongside them your prior experience will be treated almost like being famous. They really respect what you have done and want to show you respect, but if you are an A--hole about it then you are just another A--hole.

That's exactly where I want to be at, aside from the famous for having prior service part.

I was an infantry guy for the better 3 and a half years of my career in the Marines, and this scenario reminds me of when you return from deployment, you are now a senior guy. The new marines you get to your battalion (Boot drop) are basically treated like nothing. The senior guys make them do all sorts of silly shit that was boarder line hazing. When I was a new guy and this sort of stuff would go on I would always observe it and take it in. When my time as a senior came around, I decided to be the guy that had the senior status, but rather than fuck with them I would show the new kids a little respect, and shoot the shit with them here and there. As it turned out, I was the guy each junior guy would end up coming to talk to if they had problems at home, problems at work, etc.. So rather than being the tool that has deployed already, I took more of a mentor roll.

I hope I can translate this experience into the NROTC if I am so blessed to get accepted into the school, with my old HS gpa that is ;)