• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Orders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Shutter

Dave-

The two weeks off for X-mas is a freebie, OCS is shutting down for that time and you have to get out of Dodge because you can't stay in the barracks. The 10 days of actual leave AFTER OCS is the issue. Remember, you earn 2.5 leave days (paid vacation) a month. It's basically pay in the Navy's eyes since your not working. After OCS you've earned only 7.5 days but your taking ten. They then take 2.5 days worth of your salary out of your pay, or that's how it was explained to me. In the Army you just go into negative leave, and can't take any leave until you earn more days, but it seems the Navy feels the need to take money back immediately whenever you do this. Silly. Any OCS grads can jump in here with info if you please.

DAWGFAN- yeah, sorry about the current SEACHICKENS. I'm also a bit of an Eagless fan living right over the bridge from Philly and it's a beautiful thing to see an anit-Raider team pick up one of the biggest problem players (#32, y'know, the loudmouth who can't keep the ball in his hands, especially in the end zone) from my #2 team...then there's the new intensity that Seahawk-Raider games take on now with Gruden-Watter's-thing. I like the Eagles but hate Eagle fans and I love watching the Raiders pound on the birds, Of course I'll be standing at attention staring at cinderblocks in bldg. 633 when they play each other on Oct. 28! DOH!

Dave

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Jeff29

Science Project
Hey Dave,

I'm a couple steps closer: I got my PRK (eye surgery) waiver, and I just got a message this morning that my current community will release me if selected. I'm still waiting on the age waiver, and, of course, the actual board. I'll know about the age waiver no later than 12 OCT (they have to process it before the board meets), but I probably won't know the results of the board until the first part of November.

What's this about 10 days of leave after OCS? The Navy can't force you to take leave that you don't have (they might try, but they can't really do it). When I graduated, a lot of guys checked out of OCS on graduation day, and walked across the hall to check in at API. Most of them got put on phone muster for a couple months.

As far as Indoc Staff goes, you're fully authorized to get in their faces, and put them under some serious mental stress. You just can't touch them or "exercise" them. When you're in Indoc, you may run into a few who try to ignore this, but they can't do much.

magnum

DAVE/TAHOE....

BRING IT ON!!!! calculating the math guys, you will be candy o's for my class JAN 12 2002. I hope you can keep in touch with us throughout your training. Most importantly though I would very much like to meet you guys. However I will be a lowly "poopie" but as a fellow future aviator and forum member it would be nice to touch base. I understand though no one probably wants to fraternize with a "poopie" But I will not be hard to spot-also in the old mans club dave.. lol.. 6'4" you'll see me. I believe bpikula is also in my class.. so in other words give us a little "extra attention".. I only wish we could throw down some "pops" together but we might need to wait until api for us-primary for you. take care and good luck!!! And remember look both ways-check the perimeter-and shake our hands.

Ed Williams

I can assure you of one thing, as a poopie, the only thing you will be aware of is the back of the persons head infront of you. I loved poopie week.
ed

Dave Shutter

Jeff: Great News!! I'm pumped, things are starting to work for you! If the waiver system truly exists so the Navy doesn't miss qualified people then you should be in! Let us all know and see you in API! As for the leave I was told there would be 10 days waiting for me after graduation, that's all. I'm not sure if I'll take it all or not but with getting my stuff moved, apt/quarters, seeing my son, etc...I just may take it all. As for checking into API I'm gonna do it right after I get my salute's, ASAP, maybe I can dodge a big pool wait and unsavory stash duty, probably not but I'm gonna try!

Mari: Thanx for the info. "Flight management", first I've heard of them. I was curious who exactly I would answer to daily as an ENS. after graduation, waiting for API, with phone musters, etc. If you have any more info on what goes on in between OCS grad' and API day 1 it would be appreciated by many. BTW, how's the Helo training going, any news on ground school, first flight etc. Let us know! There's a lot of quite Helo fans out here.

Ed: You were June 2 OCS, where are you at now?

Magnum: I have no intention of playing DI as an INDOC, but don't taunt me! After OCS I will have a total of 6 months of life under the loving care of various DI's (all under wartime conditions no less!!!) and while not as skilled as the real thing I can assure you that I would have at least picked up a mind-f*ck or two! You're 6'4 huh, I think I got a nick-name picked out for you already, how's LURCH grab you!

quote:...well I would very much like to meet you guys. However I will be a lowly "poopie"... As was discussed earlier, the 10-11 week difference between INDOC and Poopie doesn't make me/us a higher life form, just a little more informed. If you and Brad are in the same class then I'll definitely leave you guys a #. If I'm set up in P-cola when you guys get liberty we'll all go get some dead cow and brew!

But until then...THINK WEEK ONE!...I am.

Dave

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 09/27/2001 19:40:39

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Dave, Dave, Magnum:

I am in the Dec 8th OCS class. My last day at UF is on Dec 6th and I dont get my diploma untill the 15th of Dec. However, the Navy is letting me and another guy here at UF go to the Dec 8th class. This way we go to OCS do the poopie week thing then go home for two weeks for xmas then return. Two weeks later if all goes well we will start getting liberty. This was a great way to do the ocs thing with a family. As far as the old guys club I'm in. I turn 31 Nov 10th (yes the Corps B-day) and cant wait to start the SNA pipeline. By the by, i was told by a certain person at Pensacola PSD that the xmas leave does come off you earned leave. If you dont have it, then they take it out of your pay. Hell they can have the pay if they are gonna let me fly! Also sounds like im not the only one with a family and kids. I have a 3 year old girl and a 2 yr old boy. Missing them will be tough. However, OCS is just a stepping stone for the rest of my naval career. We will all have to get together in Pcola.

Dave

(is it me, or are there alot of days around here?)

Dave Shutter

Dave...um, EDO that is...

Yes there are a lot of Daves around here. I keep thinking about the Kids in the Hall skit: "These are the Dave's that I know, some of us are David's, but most of use are Dave's!" There was singing and dancing, but I guess you had to be there. That's cool that your on your way and yes, welcome to the, "Old man's club" If Jeff gets in then we'll definitely have to print up cards or something! Leaving the little ones will be tough, but hey, we'll all have a BBQ afterwards or something!

Mari: actually that's exactly what I wanted to hear. My one big fear was that I would have "0" time after studying and the family, but to hear that there are occasional pockets of abundant time is music to my ears, especially since I need only one more component for my computer to be a full video editing system! After that I can do my own projects no matter where I go! A month of stash time here and there rocks for me! I'm glad you had the chance to do some musical activities, did you get to do anything else along those lines in CC? Getting back to business: what was Helo imtermediate like? Is it the same intermediate class in the T-34 that Prop guys get? What time frame do you think you'll be going back to P-cola?

Which brings me to a training question for all: I was told by my rec' that flight school as a whole is one single PCS move, ie: you get your stuff moved to your Primary site, but not to intermed' or advanced if someplace else? Any info on that anyone? And what does OHARP stand for anyway, that recruiting station gopher duty right?

"I say to our enemies: we are coming. God may show you mercy. We will not."

Senator John McCain

Tahoe

Shutter,

What did you figure would be our grad. date for OCS and how long of a stash period before you and I start API. I'm trying to get my stuff together, sounds like you have a good handle on dates.

Thanks,

-Dave

SNA Russell

Dawgfan - I'd like to read your journal. What's the web address?

Magnum - My OCS start date is 05 JAN 2002. It looks like you'll be pushing pavement right behind me.

Does anybody know how we are assigned our stash jobs? It depends on the needs of the Navy, correct?

-Rory

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
Rory,

I think that the stash jobs depend on needs of the navy and also depends if your a prior service guy. I start ocs on Dec 8, 2001. This way I'll go through poopie week and then some, get a two week xmas break and then start back right when your classing up. We should all get together on the 4 of Jan. Then I can give you some insight on the first two weeks of training.

Dave

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
Rory,

I think that the stash jobs depend on needs of the navy and also depends if your a prior service guy. I start ocs on Dec 8, 2001. This way I'll go through poopie week and then some, get a two week xmas break and then start back right when your classing up. We should all get together on the 4 of Jan. Then I can give you some insight on the first two weeks of training.

Dave

bizzin

I just got my acceptance letter to OCS on 2 Oct, and I'm starting 3 Nov. Wow! I'm ready to go! Good luck to all!

Please give me some info on memorization items, weekend liberties. I hear there are sports days, or sport day. I've got my 3 miles down to about 25 or 24 minutes. Is flight physical in OCS, or in API?

Dave Shutter

Tahoe, Dave here...

Here are the VERY TENTATIVE dates for OCS Class Oct-27-01, according to various bits of gouge and projected training times. Subject to change at any instant, due to health, budget, weather, equipment, etc...and providing you/I/we graduate on time...half a cup of salt!

OCS: Oct, 27
X-mas leave: Dec, 20 - Jan 5.
Graduation: Feb 9
API class up: Mar 23
API Grad: May 3
Primary: mid-May
Selection: November and a very Merry Christmas.

See ya there!

"...NO ONE does this to the United States and gets away with it"

Secretary of State, General Colin Powell

vicki

Here is the API gouge that I have.

You will check in with flight management by 1300 on the day of OCS graduation. At 1600 you go on leave. You can take 0-10 days of leave. (You can go into the hole for leave if you so desire). After leave you can OHARP to your home recruiting district or TAD to a NROTC unit at your college for up to 30 days. If you choose not to go home or after you come back, you become part of Alpha Pool or pre-API. You muster every morning at 0730 and then go home. You can PT, golf, sleep, whatever. If you are stashed you can phone muster instead of physically reporting every morning. Getting a stash job is just a matter of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Stash jobs are to be avoided at all costs. Stay out of the flight management office and keep a low profile. If you need to do business with flight management - use the phone. That way you aren't visible to people looking to give out jobs. The flip side to this is to volunteer for a stash job that you want, that way you won't get stuck with a boring one. There are good ones like rescue swimmer school and running the flight simulator at the museum, but you could get really lucky like me and get "muffin watch".
LT in flight management said 7-9 week wait in Alpha pool if you want Whiting, 5-7 for Corpus.
Enjoy the down time you do have. OCS and flight training are intense. Relax while you can.

bizzin

OCS: Oct, 27
X-mas leave: Dec, 20 - Jan 5.
Graduation: Feb 9
API class up: Mar 23
API Grad: May 3
Primary: mid-May
Selection: November and a very Merry Christmas.

My class starts 3 nov, is leave period the same for all OCs, and what about API?

Status
Not open for further replies.