• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Orders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tahoe

Dave,

When you found out you got in did you get a set of orders or a formal offer sent to you in the mail? I think you and I will be in the same OCS class or very close. Shoot me an e mail and we can talk.

-Dave

Dave Shutter

Dave...

My recruiter called me at 9:00 on a Saturday morning to give me the good news. I got a letter a week or so later and I swore in just the other week. I'm in the Oct. 27, 01 class. (right around the corner!!!) I swore in, got my little certificate, polaroid and my standard issue NAVY: LET THE JOURNEY BEGIN plastic bag full of goodies (ballcap, mug, stickers etc...)including an Officer DEP OCS study manual. What kind of study materials did they give you BTW?

I was told I'll get my official orders and my airline ticket Fed-exed to me the week I leave. I won't have my car until after the X-mas break cuz my girl needs it to drive our son around. I've been trying to find out who's in my class with no luck. I'm jealous of the June 2 class. There were about a dozen guys on this site who all hooked up before reporting. Let me know what's up with you.

PS, get your hands on a Blue Jacket Manual if you want to look over some general Navy info (history, drill, seamanship, etc...) I was going to get some huge books on history and seamanship from the library but my bro, gave me his BlueJacket manual instead. Great stuff.

Dave

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 09/26/2001 00:39:08

Tahoe

Dave,

Well, I'm in the 27th class and I plan on driving down to Pensacola from Minneapolis. I don't know how much I'll be able to use my car after the first 4-6 weeks, but I feel a bit safer having it with me rather than leaving it here.

They gave me a little blue flip folder of information to study up on, I plan on starting to review it pretty soon and pound it into memory. Otherwise I'm thinking about getting down there a day or so before OCS starts and getting in a final round of golf before I have to hang the clubs up until after Christmas.

It's nice to know at least one person going into the same OCS class and even the same area! Hopefully we'll find a few others that will be down there with us!!

What other type of Gouge have you been able to dig up??

-Dave

Dave Shutter

Dave

When I first got accepted I flipped out thinking about all the stuff I wanted to study up on before showing up. But as I went back and read the hundreds of old posts about prepping for OCS I noticed a pattern and that was that ten out of ten OCS grad's/OC's said to MEMORIZE THE BIG 3 AND GET IN SHAPE. It reminded me of that ageless bit of wisom: if ten people tell you your drunk, sit down. I'm going to try to fam myself on some other Naval stuff but my real focus right now is OCS week one: Big 3, PRT, flight physical, and poopie week!

Driving from Minneapolis, Yikes! I'm dreading driving down from NJ. I've been reading a journal from one guy who drove from Seattle! At least I already know someone with a car because I won't have mine until after X-mas. That's gonna be embarrasing though, I'll probably be the oldest guy there and the only one w/o a car!

Dave-

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Dawgfan

Pending
pilot
If you can memorize the Mission of the Navy and the other things in that gouge section (including the warfare pins), you will be SO WAY AHEAD that people will be insanely jeolous. You will need to know that stuff verbatim for 4th Week RLP, so anything you can memorize now is absolutely awesome.

magnum

DAVE/TAHOE.....

remember guys-if you can(weekends) keep us others who are right on your tails informed-it would be greatly appreciated.

FLY NAVY!!!!!
MAGNUM-OCS DATE 12 JANUARY 2002.

Dave Shutter

Dave, guys...

As for becoming Candy O's, I'm waiting on Vic' to inform me on how you get assigned a certain billet, but I'm quessing the commanders and sub-commanders, the one's who get to play DI , are the top ranking in their class and the others get to shuffle poopie paperwork, march them around, etc.??? I quess getting to mash poopies is fun but in weeks ten to thirteen all I'm thinking about is my new beach house and API!

I've been comparing notes on a lot of OCS grad's lately: Zac, Vicki, Mari, Matt and so on...and it seeems that a post I wrote about a year ago on how different DI's in basic adds up to a completely different experience for respective platoons is also very true in regards to Navy OCS. A new OCS journal I've been following lately details a staff vs. class softball game in one of the later weeks with 4 beer kegs thrown in for fun! A drastic difference compared to other OCS experiences I've heard about. We'll see how our winter shapes up! I'm pumped!

Dave-

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Dave Shutter

Dave

Oh yeah I got some real gouge: our X-mas exodus is going to be from Dec. 20, 1800 to midnight Jan. 5. We'll get ten days after OCS but at that point we've only accumulated 7.5 days of leave (X-mas is a freebie) So they'll take the balance out of our pay. That's from my Rec' who got it straight from OCS Command.

HEY DAWGFAN...just read your bio, added 2+2, and deduced your the guy from Seattle who's journal I've been following. But i'm curious, if no electronic devices are allowed in OCS, then how come guys have irons in their lockers and DI's are posing for pictures in your class gallery? BTW, good luck in API, love your site and your friends are hilarious.

PS, what chance do you think the Raiders have this year (but with you being a Seattle man and all!) They have the best team they've had in decades and look where I'm gonna spend the season!!!

Dave

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 09/26/2001 22:48:17

Jeff29

Science Project
Dave,

Sorry to burst your bubble, but unless things have changed since I was there (and I doubt they have in this regard), Candidate Officers are not supposed to mash poopies. Not that it doesn't happen, but those who do are generally those who also carry around an inferiority complex. Sorry if I offend anyone, but this was one of my pet peeves (not as a poopie, but as part of the Indoc Staff). You're only 10 weeks ahead of these people, and your only job is to get them to a certain level of performance, and get them ready to meet their DI (which, I have to admit is funny to watch--not because you wish them pain, but because you realize that you looked just like them only a few short weeks before).

I'm sure that those who graduated more recently can give you much better gouge, but my number one recommendation is to be able to do (forward, backwards, and inside-out) the big three while you are PTing. Also, don't take any gouge with you when you report.

Dave Shutter

What's up Jeff, been a while...

Above message is understood Jeff, my last wish is to play DI. Your right, CO's are only 10 weeks more experienced than the poopies but I've always heard they pass on the abuse to the next class. Honestly that strikes me as pathetic. I would want to help them prepare for the experience ahead of them. Simply passing on abuse is narrow minded, unoriginal, immature and if you ask me a total waste of all the leadership training the Navy just spent on you. Besides, a 22 year old college grad who just learned how to march, shine shoes and memorize stuff trying to imitate an experienced Marine NCO is just silly. It's a waste of time to even try. Just my 4cents.

BTW, You gotta let us know what's going on with the app. man! The suspense if killing me! I'm totally digging the "old man aviator club" idea!

BTW, you were right about the kid issue! My son is about to turn 6 months old next week. When he was first born I though training without him around wouldn't be a huge problem. Not anymore! Little bastard grew on me like nothing I ever imagined. He's growimg so damn fast. I look at old one'sies of him the size of a checkbook and I can't believe he was ever that small. Leaving him now is going to be f*cking hell! I'm thankful I get to see him after 2 months for X-mas and then a month later but cruises/deployments are gonna be hell!

Dave

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Tahoe

NO Way!! Dawgfan is JWN??? Haha!! I've been following his webpage with all his posts from OCS. Great page, I was thinking about setting something like his page up for my buddies here in Minneapolis and back in Cali where I'm from!

Dave, let me understand this Christmas thing: we're off from the 20th from the 5th, but not paid for 3 days of it??

Dawgfan/JWN, what's the story on the irons at OCS, should I bring my own? Dave and I should get together with you when we get down to Pensacola to get some good Gouge from ya...maybe buy you a few pops!

Dawgfan

Pending
pilot
hehehe all this notoriety is going to my head. Regarding irons, there are storage rooms full of irons and boards, but you have a 1 in 1 chance of leaving black starch marks on your wash khakis if you use them. You can buy your own iron at the NEX, or just clean off one of the community ones. We kept irons in our lockers with no problems. If you leave it out, or a corded alarm clock for that matter, it will be slung by the cord at maximum velocity and scatter itself about your room in tiny, innopperable pieces. Please feel free to email/post any other OCS questions.

John "JWN"/"Dawgfan" Nelson

PS: Marques Tuiasosopo is the man, he will lead the Raiders to great glory someday. Too bad the SeaChickens don't have use of his talents.

Tahoe

JWN,

What are the top things you feel Dave and I should know when we get there?? ANY useful info you can pass would be great. How does your new suit fit and when is your API start date?

Status
Not open for further replies.