• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Orders after 1st Tour/ DCA?

Choppering

pilot
None
Good Afternoon Gentleman,

I have been a long time lurker in this forum going back to before I accepted a commission until now- getting ready to complete my first fleet tour. I have learned a great deal of information from experiences at OCS, what to expect at flight school, to life in the fleet, so a thank you is in order. For my first post, I have a few questions for H-1 Pilots specifically and anyone who has experience with the Coast Guard DCA program.

As my time in the squadron comes to a close, I am considering my options and what lies before me. As most here know any conversation of not "staying in for the long haul" can have negative consequences for personal progression in the cockpit, options for b-billets, etc. So i bring these questions to you all:

Me:
I am an H-1 Pilot.
I am up for PCS orders next fall.
I have two years left for my obligated time in service. I have 7 years total in service.

My questions:

1. I am considering the Coast Guard DCA program. Does anyone have any experience going this route?
2. What is the best way to go about this?
3. How difficult is getting the IST waiver? I am fearful if I voice a desire to apply, and attempt an IST waiver, that may affect getting a desirable B-billet while im still in the squadron in the event i am not selected by the Coast Guard. (I realize i cant have my cake and eat it too, im just curious peoples thoughts)
3. Has anyone attempted trying this from one of the flight school training commands? Would this be a good route for attempting the transition?
4. Final question- If i take orders to somewhere at my current duty station, does that add time to my service obligation, thereby possibly making the waiver a simpler process?

Thank you gentleman for your advice.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
I can't really answer much regarding an IST but I do know, for Marines, when you PCS, you incur a two year obligation, running concurrently with whatever time you have left on your original contract. I'm fairly positive that you don't incur any more time to your contract if you PCA. Also, when you accept orders to the VTs, for Marines, you incur a two year obligation when you complete the FITU. That two years will run concurrent with whatever time you have left on your original contract as well.

The VTs are waaaaay more accommodating to folks wanting to leave active duty or want inter-service transfers. The COs, XOs, OPSOs, Senior Marine LNOs at the VTs are only concerned that you are making student X's and that you're doing your annual/FY training. They will help you out as much as they can if you are leaving active duty or wanting an IST. Fleet gun squadrons OTOH, well, you and I both know exactly what will happen when you let your squadron XO know you intend on trying for an IST ... your personal flight hour program will rapidly diminish and you'll end up on the border with Pakistan & Afghanistan for a 3 year tour with AF-PAK Hands...

S/F

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
RW Monitor will most likely not even touch your IST paperwork until your last 6 months in the Marines. Mixed bag with regards to letting him know your getting out, placement into B-Billets has recently seemed to be more based on current quals (the more the better) and billet availability than anything. Good thing is that your an H-1 dude and they're not exactly hurting for skid pilots right now.

Choppering

pilot
None
Thank you gentleman for the information.

It sounds like its best to play it safe and head to the Training Commands and giving it a shot from there. More flight hours and potentially more contacts with the Coast Guard.

Any ideas what kind of billets are available after going to the HT's? Ive heard it can be tough to get back to a squadron (assuming the coast guard thing doesn't work/ not what im looking for).