• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Orange Flight Suits

HuggyU2

None
Does the USCG still use orange Nomex flight suits?
If so, where do they source them from?
Gibson & Barnes?

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I just did a google search. Found 4+ sites selling them under the shopping tab. Some eBay 1 off sales, at least 2 looked like a commercial retailer with some stock.

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
Longhorn SAR in Fallon have orange suits; only see them at the O club. Don’t know if they’re nomex or poly-cotton.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Longhorn SAR in Fallon have orange suits; only see them at the O club. Don’t know if they’re nomex or poly-cotton.
I just saw a command photo of VX-30 on linked in. Their SAR Det folks were wearing what looked like two piece orange flightsuits. I've also seen shots of Whidbey SAR wearing them. @HuggyU2, maybe call those guys up? Or go get lost near Whidbey, the Lake, or Fallon and ask them one the flight back? I don't know anyone at the SAR units otherwise I'd ask and help you out.

HuggyU2

None
Thanks for the follow up replies.
I know where to buy them, however I would like to know where the squadrons that use them actually get them.

ill check with those SAR folks, Pags. Thanks!

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Only folks I've seen wearing the orange bags were Station SAR bubbas.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I used to work quite regularly at Camp Edwards, home to CG Air Station Cape Cod. None of the flight crew there wore orange flight suits (bags, if you will) BUT the rescue swimmers always wore an orange exposure suit. Perhaps that is what @HuggyU2 is seeing?

Exposure suit shown here:

Pags

N/A
pilot
Yes. I think (assumption here) that @HuggyU2 is seeing exposure suits and thinking orange flight suit.
He's not. Some Navy Station SAR units wears orange flightsuits. Their swimmers may also wear orange drysuits but that's a different piece of gear. USN drysuits for aircrew (NOT the swimmer) used to be green, not sure what they are now.

Here's VX-31 (oops, I think I said 30 earlier). I'm guessing the SAR bubbas are in orange on the right. Since this pic was taken in the desert and there's no ocean nearby those aren't exposure suits.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
@HuggyU2 If you see a USCG pilot/aircrew in orange then it is the USCG ADC - Aircrew Dry Coveralls. It's a constant wear drysuit designed for aircrew. It uses multiple layering/insulation garments depending on temperatures and climate.

I do not believe the USCG issues orange nomex flight suits - they have standardized on the same old green summer flyers coverall.

Last edited:

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
He's not. Some Navy Station SAR units wears orange flightsuits. Their swimmers may also wear orange drysuits but that's a different piece of gear. USN drysuits for aircrew (NOT the swimmer) used to be green, not sure what they are now.

Here's VX-31 (oops, I think I said 30 earlier). I'm guessing the SAR bubbas are in orange on the right. Since this pic was taken in the desert and there's no ocean nearby those aren't exposure suits.
View attachment 25987
Interesting, I have never seen the two-piece Dri-Fire (or what ever version) flight suit in orange.