• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Options for leave balance pre/post commissioning.

68 Chevelle

MM1 Nuke->FY08 STA-21 NFO Selectee
I have several questions pertaining to leave when transitioning from enlisted to commissioned ranks. I currently have about 30 days on the books, and stand to earn another 90 prior to my commission, then aproximately another 45-60 days in flight school. I know I can only cary a balance of 60 and as far as I know you can only sell back leave when you re-enlist or seperate. So here is my question, what in the world is everyone doing with all this leave? Are you just loosing it when the fiscal years roll around? I have heard rumors that you can sell back leave when you obtain your commission, is this true? I'm trying to come up with an intelligent plan for using/selling back leave to maximize my gain and minimize lost leave in the process. I'm considering selling back 30ish days when I re-enlist prior to transferring to NSI and just going negative in transit to NSI and in transit to school since I have time to earn it back anyway, is anyone else planning to do this? I just can't forsee finding time to use my 30 days I have, not to mention the 90 I will earn at college. If I can sell it back again when I obtain a commission that would be ideal, but I dont see the Navy doing that. I would love to hear what others have done/are planning to do with their leave, and any input you have on selling back leave when you re-enlist for your required committment for NSI.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Not a prior, but here's what I saw...

There were plenty of ECPs taking leave while in ROTC. Christmas and summers had breaks in them, and if they didn't take leave, they had to muster. There's also opportunities to take leave in flight school (again, Xmas or in between Primary and advanced, possibly). Working in STUCON, I've also seen leave approved for those prior E studs that had a few days of use/lose, so there's definitely ways to keep it in check.

68 Chevelle

Not a prior, but here's what I saw...

There were plenty of ECPs taking leave while in ROTC. Christmas and summers had breaks in them, and if they didn't take leave, they had to muster. There's also opportunities to take leave in flight school (again, Xmas or in between Primary and advanced, possibly). Working in STUCON, I've also seen leave approved for those prior E studs that had a few days of use/lose, so there's definitely ways to keep it in check.

Thats good insight, I really appreciate it. I'm thinking I can use some leave while I'm there, but the 2300 bucks selling back 30 days is really tempting, I'm certain I can find ways to burn it not to loose it, but I'm trying to maximize my benefit :D. Then again aren't we all? I figgured if I was wondering and was curious what others plans were, I'm certain other people are as well.

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
You have to look at the leave policies and command climate of you gaining ROTC unit. Definitely get in touch with some of the current OCs there for a heads up.

So to answer your questions... You can't sell back leave at commissioning by instruction. I lost about 5 days and burned about two months transferring to Pensacola (to do this I had to work with my unit to detach early since BUPERS wouldn't write it into my orders).

If I was in your position I would sell a bunch of leave back. I used less than 20 days in 2.5 years but my unit was very laid back as long as you had your sh*t together.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Best thing you can do is try to take as much of it as possible as you go along. I had 8+ years of prior time and even in the last couple years of that, I was into the use/lose area. Just reconcile yourself to the fact that as you progress in your career, you're going to be losing a bunch of leave almost every year.

Brett

F14Flier7

NROTC Units

You have to look at the leave policies and command climate of you gaining ROTC unit. Definitely get in touch with some of the current OCs there for a heads up.

So to answer your questions... You can't sell back leave at commissioning by instruction. I lost about 5 days and burned about two months transferring to Pensacola (to do this I had to work with my unit to detach early since BUPERS wouldn't write it into my orders).

If I was in your position I would sell a bunch of leave back. I used less than 20 days in 2.5 years but my unit was very laid back as long as you had your sh*t together.

From the OCs that I've talked to from the University of Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Ohio State, and Virginia Tech it really varies by the NROTC command and the staff overseeing everything.

I spoke to an individual attending EMU and he said that the leave subject changed drastically while he was attending school; the staff had fully rotated through while being an OC. Pretty much it depends on the people who are in charge of the unit it seems.

I have 50.5 days right now. I'm planning on just being safe and using all the leave that I can possibly use; to maximize my time off without being at the mercy of the staff at my future command(s).

Fred

Just reconcile yourself to the fact that as you progress in your career, you're going to be losing a bunch of leave almost every year.

Brett

Isn't that the truth. My husband looses between 15-30 days every year, and has for the past decade.

68 Chevelle

Best thing you can do is try to take as much of it as possible as you go along. I had 8+ years of prior time and even in the last couple years of that, I was into the use/lose area. Just reconcile yourself to the fact that as you progress in your career, you're going to be losing a bunch of leave almost every year.

Brett

Thats kinda what I figgured on, which is why I'm thinking very seriously about selling back every last day that I have when I have to re-enlist pre NSI. Then all my transfer leave makes me go negative, but I will make that back up in the first 6-8 months anyway, it would at least buy me a little time before I start loosing leave.

Lightning26

68 chevelle- I was wondering if you were allowed to sell back your leave? I talked to PSD today and they said I couldn't because I would be Reenlisting more than 1 year away from my eaos? Did you have any problems like this? or anyone else?

Are there any OC's on here that have been able to sell back leave when you were Commissioned?

Lightning26

Thanks for your help SnipeDude, I knew as a Officer you couldn't do it unless you were seperating. But I just didn't know if there was something special for prior enlisted personnel when they are Commissioned. Thanks again for answering my questions.

Now I just have to find a way to sell my leave back right now, because its my last chance until I retire and it would be stupid to do it then because you won't get BAH.

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
Man.. just take some time off... sell a little back.. I'm sure you might want to save at least a little bit. It can probably get a little boring when everyone else is on summer cruises and vacation and on the 2-3 weeks before and after your stuck shredding, cleaning, standing watch and so on... now you don't want that.. DO YOU?

;)

EM1

OneBadSSS

FY08 STA-21 Pilot Selectee/Currently at ODU
I currently have 56.5 days on the books and I plan to sell back 30, take 15 in transit to Newport and then possibly burn some more after BOOST and NSI since I'll PCS to my ROTC unit on the 18th of July and won't start school until the last week of August/first week of September. That will allow me plenty of down time to register for classes, work on my house and go to the beach!!!