• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Options at age 31

imderek15

Looking for some advice regarding my options with the Navy at age 31.
A recruiter was willing to submit an package for the EOD board being held in February, but my research has indicated I would be extremely unlikely to be selected. I am simultaneously trying to get an EOD contract by enlisting. This would still require an Exception to Policy as I won't obtain the contract before December.

I am seeking adventurous type of work in a small-team dynamic. I have also looked at Marine Corps OCS (recruiter has offered to submit an age waiver) and Army Warrant Officer for flight ops (Must be shipped to boot before I'm 34).

Any other advice? Insight?

I am currently 30 and turn 31 in two months.
OAR is 54
BA is 3.5
MS is 3.8

-Speak two foreign languages
-100-ton merchant mariner captain for 6 years. Commercial fisherman for 10 years.
-Current policy adviser for a U.S. Senator
-Scores on Spec Ops PST are at optimal numbers/times
-Need Med Waiver for ACL repair in 2013 and PRK (2017) *Paperwork is currently at MEPS pre-screen

Thank you...

robav8r

None
Contributor
Your comments appear to be a bit broad brushed. What is it that YOU really want to do, more than anything else?

imderek15

Your comments appear to be a bit broad brushed. What is it that YOU really want to do, more than anything else?

Fair enough, I would like to serve my country, and feel like my abilities translate best to the Navy compared to any other branch as I have spent much of the last 10 years at sea.

That being said, I would be happiest in a job that takes advantage of my greatest strengths. I have researched all the Navy officer designations and think that EOD is the best fit. I like that EOD requires me to work with my hands, intellectually challenge myself, and physically push myself.

Initially I was drawn to serve when I heard about the Navy accidents when ships collided with freighters in the Western Pacific. As a captain, I know such an accident is inexcusable, and felt strongly that the Navy could use officers with practical, on-the-water experience. Naturally, the first program I considered was SWO, but to be blunt--I think I would struggle being re-trained how to operate a ship with a team on the bridge. When I run the tuna seiner I am the only captain and engineer awake and thus have all the responsibility.

I understand I'll be managed at every level in the military, but to me some designations offer more freedom. In my understanding, a pilot must observe a rigid protocol, but eventually he is in control and has some independence. Same thing with EOD--the training is strict and so is the protocol and management, but ultimately it'll be in your hands to disable the IED. I've looked for jobs like this in the military--pilot, EOD, special forces.

I know I've narrowly missed the age cut off for some of these adventurous jobs, but do feel as though I'm a physically and intellectually strong candidate.
Perhaps there are some other adventurous designations I haven't thought of in the Navy or there is someone here with my stats who's secured an Exception to Policy regarding age.

robav8r

None
Contributor
EOD is, in many respects, very similar to the SEAL's in terms of training and operational employment. If this is your goal, just understand it will require a level of commitment and sacrifice beyond that of SWO and many other designators.

exNavyOffRec

Fair enough, I would like to serve my country, and feel like my abilities translate best to the Navy compared to any other branch as I have spent much of the last 10 years at sea.

That being said, I would be happiest in a job that takes advantage of my greatest strengths. I have researched all the Navy officer designations and think that EOD is the best fit. I like that EOD requires me to work with my hands, intellectually challenge myself, and physically push myself.

Initially I was drawn to serve when I heard about the Navy accidents when ships collided with freighters in the Western Pacific. As a captain, I know such an accident is inexcusable, and felt strongly that the Navy could use officers with practical, on-the-water experience. Naturally, the first program I considered was SWO, but to be blunt--I think I would struggle being re-trained how to operate a ship with a team on the bridge. When I run the tuna seiner I am the only captain and engineer awake and thus have all the responsibility.

I understand I'll be managed at every level in the military, but to me some designations offer more freedom. In my understanding, a pilot must observe a rigid protocol, but eventually he is in control and has some independence. Same thing with EOD--the training is strict and so is the protocol and management, but ultimately it'll be in your hands to disable the IED. I've looked for jobs like this in the military--pilot, EOD, special forces.

I know I've narrowly missed the age cut off for some of these adventurous jobs, but do feel as though I'm a physically and intellectually strong candidate.
Perhaps there are some other adventurous designations I haven't thought of in the Navy or there is someone here with my stats who's secured an Exception to Policy regarding age.
EOD has mainly picked those that are enlisted EOD, and for a while they put out that they would not select anyone that was not prior enlisted EOD, the other issue is your age as they only give waivers for those on AD or prior AD, and the board isn't in Feb it was in September, and the other hurdle you have is your ACL, I saw many more denied than accepted with that injury.

https://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/fy-19-board-sked.45902/

imderek15

Thank you both for your feedback.

Your comments on the difficulty of the job and the unlikelyhood I get selected are similar to what I’ve heard.

That’s why I’m fine with the enlisted route for Navy EOD.

My officer recruiter informed me they would hold a supplemental board in February next year for EOD, but you’re right the board is typically held once annually in September.

Hopefully I’ll have a chance with the ACL waiver. Cleared with no restrictions by my doctor 5 years ago and have submitted all records and documents.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Thank you both for your feedback.

Your comments on the difficulty of the job and the unlikelyhood I get selected are similar to what I’ve heard.

That’s why I’m fine with the enlisted route for Navy EOD.

My officer recruiter informed me they would hold a supplemental board in February next year for EOD, but you’re right the board is typically held once annually in September.

Hopefully I’ll have a chance with the ACL waiver. Cleared with no restrictions by my doctor 5 years ago and have submitted all records and documents.
Best of luck to you !

question123

Hmm. I may need to look for a different OR. Was just informed today I’m to old to commission..... I’m 30 turning 31 in June. Was looking to apply for Supply or SWO.

Could she be mistaken or just using my age as an excuse?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I think you might find Army WO flying quite fulfilling. After a few years you could compete for the 160th and get your Spec Ops jollies.

Reservist

Intelligence Officer
Army has more options and seat open than any other branch. They are also more likely to waive age because they need to fill those seats.

I think 31 is young - you still have a great shot at being selected for many things. Remember Army has EOD, Spec Ops, Infanty - all the stuff the navy does.

I enlisted at 28 in the Navy reserve. I commissioned at 44 in the Navy Reserve. It gets harder to squeak by a selection board unless you got solid credentials at later age - but at 31 - you have plenty of time. I'd really suggest getting the commission even if it means going to another branch. Enlisting is really easy. You will have no problem enlisting if you want to do the military thing.

Navy is awesome! I'm Navy. That being said - my honest opinion is that unless you are set on being as ship captian (SWO) or something navy specific - the Army is where it's at. It's the biggest branch with the most opportunity.

Navy was comfortable and convenient for me with the reserve side - but could I do it again - I would go Army all day long. Just more opportunity.

By they way - I too got around the ACL. Had ACL reconstruction a few years back over a break in service. They will probably reject outright at first you but if you push you can get around it. You shouldn't even need the waiver. ACL is not prohibitive to joining after certain time but they do make you jump through hoops to prove you are good to go.

Last edited:

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Army has more options and seat open than any other branch. They are also more likely to waive age because they need to fill those seats.

I think 31 is young - you still have a great shot at being selected for many things. Remember Army has EOD, Spec Ops, Infanty - all the stuff the navy does.

I enlisted at 28 in the Navy reserve. I commissioned at 44 in the Navy Reserve. It gets harder to squeak by a selection board unless you got solid credentials at later age - but at 31 - you have plenty of time. I'd really suggest getting the commission even if it means going to another branch. Enlisting is really easy. You will have no problem enlisting if you want to do the military thing.

Navy is awesome! I'm Navy. That being said - my honest opinion is that unless you are set on being as ship captian (SWO) or something navy specific - the Army is where it's at. It's the biggest branch with the most opportunity.

Navy was comfortable and convenient for me with the reserve side - but could I do it again - I would go Army all day long. Just more opportunity.

By they way - I too got around the ACL. Had ACL reconstruction a few years back over a break in service. They will probably reject outright at first you but if you push you can get around it. You shouldn't even need the waiver. ACL is not prohibitive to joining after certain time but they do make you jump through hoops to prove you are good to go.
Also, if you want to stay shipboard, the Army has a small navy.

Reservist

Intelligence Officer
The Army Warrant Helo pilot program is shit hot if you want to fly! I have a Navy Reserve buddy (IS1) that got picked up for that program just recently.

He was selected to fly jets for the air force the year before but got bounced on minor medical. Army was more than happy to take him. Scooped him right up.

Last edited: