• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

opinions on memorizing reef points before showing up at USNA?

As a USNA grad and former detailer, I am opposed to the idea of trying to memorize reef points ahead of time. However, the reality is that it will make little difference. I'd advise candidates to focus on getting themselves physically prepared for the grind of the summer and to help their classmates as much as possible once they get there.

Junior

pilot
I strongly feel that memorizing stuff in Reef Points before getting there is setting you up to be "that guy". Knowing the officer/enlisted ranks of the Navy Marine Corps is a step in the right direction. Enjoy your last month with your high school friends because after I-day things won't be the same.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Don't be that guy.

Anyway, you'll have plenty of time to study your rates during Plebe Summer. You'll do it until your shoulder cramps up and your gaze is fixed at 6". Put down the knowledge and enjoy the rest of your high school career.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
In the long run, what is memorizing Reef Points going to do for you? Get you better grades? Even in the short term, will it make Plebe Summer easier?

Like most things in life you have to make a choice. Do you want to spend your last couple months of freedom maximizing the time with your friends and family? Or do you want to spend it memorizing a dumb little book, the result of which will bring you little short term benefit and no long term benefit.

S3b_viking

Memorizing Reefpoints before hand is useless since they come out with new books every year and its just part of the game. Enjoy your last year and don't bother, you'll learn it when you get there.

DangerousDan

I could tell you but I would have to kill you
I've got a picture of me holding up my brand-new Reef Points next to Dad's old, beat up Reef points...
I cant believe they actually made reef points soft back, I know my hard back one took a beating... I still have it on my shelf in my room.

I would say don't try to memorize things. I know as an ex NJROTC, and NROTC I did have like the General orders, leadership traits, etc memorized already but nothing else since they'll find something you don't know to make you memorize. That said, I did have a copy of reef points before I went and I had actually read it all. My favorite part was the table salt, something which wasn't really emphasized by my detailers. Which didnt help me out later when I was doing my watch officer qual, and this crusty old commander asked... "How long you been in the Navy?"

It was funny to me while doing a class on blue force ops almost eight years after the fact, I still had all the blue force combatant types and weapons fore to aft memorized...

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I don't really know what reef points are, but is it any different than OCS candidates memorizing the big 4 beforehand?

phrogpilot73

Uh yea... Considering its like 100 pages...
And includes such meaningful things as table salt and famous naval sayings...

"Just puttin' in time." - Clarence.

Which didnt help me out later when I was doing my watch officer qual, and this crusty old commander asked... "How long you been in the Navy?"
All me bloomin' life, Sir! Me Mother was a mermaid, me father was King Neptune. I was born on the crest of a wave and rocked in the cradle of the deep. Seaweed and barnacles are me clothes. Every tooth in me head is a marlinspike; the hair on me head is hemp. Every bone in me body is a spar, and when I spits, I spits tar! I'se hard, I is, I am, I are!

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
All me bloomin' life, Sir! Me Mother was a mermaid, me father was King Neptune. I was born on the crest of a wave and rocked in the cradle of the deep. Seaweed and barnacles are me clothes. Every tooth in me head is a marlinspike; the hair on me head is hemp. Every bone in me body is a spar, and when I spits, I spits tar! I'se hard, I is, I am, I are!

My favorite one... I never knew and still don't know and don't like the "what time is it?"

Gitr

The posts regarding it setting you up to be that guy are true, there is that possibility. However, it also takes some stress off during the summer and you can help your classmates learn. The trick is to not let the detailer that you know all the stuff already. Once they know you're toast. And don't for any reason offer to "help a classmate" and bilge them out.

All in all, IMHO it has its disadvantages but I would recommend getting some of it down. It helps.

DangerousDan

I could tell you but I would have to kill you
I don't really know what reef points are, but is it any different than OCS candidates memorizing the big 4 beforehand?

New Reef Points... (softcover)
604979.jpg

What plebes do with it...
Reef%20Points.jpg