• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Opinion and recommendation needed please

Sthompson

Hi , I am a 23 year old college student with 1 year to go before graduating with a bachelors degree in aviation and business management. I have been in school for going on 5 years now. I have taken CFI courses and have my commercial license in aviation. Now my question is, I have to schedule my ASTB and I am trying to figure out how much prep and study time I should consider before scheduling. Also, with the information you have in this post anything in particular I should focus on more than others?

Thank you so much for your time guys, love this place.
v/r Shaun

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
There are many threads dedicated to the ASTB. Spend as much study time as you think you should for a competitive entrance exam in which your scores will be compared with everyone else who also wants a chance at flight school.

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
2nd the astb forum, lots of great resources i used. as for how much prep time, that really depends on you. focus on areas you might be weak on, and familiarize yourself with parts you already know something about. in short, what works for me might not work for you

Robby

Mmm... Butter Bars
I have to schedule my ASTB and I am trying to figure out how much prep and study time I should consider before scheduling. Also, with the information you have in this post anything in particular I should focus on more than others?

Research the ASTB. Know how many questions will be in each section and the amount of time given for each section. Do the math and know how many seconds you'll have, on average, to answer each question. Then read test examples. Study whatever formulas you don't know, and be sure your strengths are as strong as you remember them being. Take whatever practice tests you can find- under circumstances similar to that of the testing environment (no calculator and keep a timer). Check your answers and study up in the areas you need to improve.

We can't tell you how much time to put into it, but this isn't something you want to under estimate.

Good luck!

cameron172

pilot
I studied for a month while also balancing 18 credit hours. The aviation and nautical information may come a little easier to you since you have the commercial rating but still review it.

Thank you so much for your time guys, love this place.
This forum is what got me my bomber score!

mid1510

Keep in mind that they are (actually have been, for years) working on changing the ASTB to include a personality section and a "flying" section with a joystick. I would take it sooner rather than later. You get 3 tries (they take your most recent score, not your best score). Minimum is a 4/5/5...However, most of the Ensigns who are here from OCS have scored above 7's on all sections. Many of them also have commercial pilot's licenses too (which is a big plus for selection).