• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Oopsy, RAF Eurofighter lands gear-up at China Lake

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
According to the commentary on that video it had a total hyd failure preventing it from rotating. And she goes on to say it happened right on rotation, perhaps caused by bringing the gear up. So as soon as he brought them up he lost the ability to rotate.

Ok, I have no idea. I don't really speak Russian or whatever it is. But someone believed me up to this point...

Pugs

Back from the range
None
I saw a Sea Harrier pilot from the UK do this at an airshow in P'Cola around 1986. He was doing some Vertical take off and landing stuff, demoing how it works up down, etc in front of an airshow crowd....came down on the fuselage.

They trucked the jet away.

He'd been out the night before partying...

You forgot the best part. When they were shipping it on the flatbed over to Harrier NADEP (which was at NPA at the time) it fell off the flatbed and did strike damage. :eek:

FLY_USMC

pilot
Gear handle in the up position with enough lift to trip the weight off the wheels sensor but not enough to actually rotate.

Just a guess.
I think we're talking about two different things.

I think you're talking about the "Mooney Takeoff" where civy pilots in Mooney's first heard about their weight-off-wheels switch preventing the gear from coming up on the ground and thought it was cool to do this on the takeoff roll......until they hit a bump.

I'm talking about 15 seconds into OH SHIAT IM ON FIRE that the pilot attempted to put the gear back down. You can see the doors open and the gear start to lower.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

I think you're talking about the "Mooney Takeoff" where civy pilots in Mooney's first heard about their weight-off-wheels switch preventing the gear from coming up on the ground and thought it was cool to do this on the takeoff roll......until they hit a bump.

I'm talking about 15 seconds into OH SHIAT IM ON FIRE that the pilot attempted to put the gear back down. You can see the doors open and the gear start to lower.
Same psychology. Why else would they warn us in training that if you ever inadvertently raise the gear, that you need to wait for it to cycle before doing anything? Because the natural human reaction is OH GOD I SCREWED UP PUT IT BACK WHERE IT WAS. I bet a similar thought process was in play.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
3/4 of the way through look closely, it looks like he tries to put the landing gear back down? WTF over.

Looks like the hydraulics finally failed and wheels dropped down. Nothing to hold them up in their stowed position.

In the F-14 Tomcat the wheel fell against the wheel doors in a combined hydraulic failure.

Lawman

None

Actually I was going for what may have caused the problem in the first place.