• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Online Trading

tbat15

Looking to get into trading online. Wondering if anyone has any good gouge or horror stories about using one of the big names( Scottrade,ETrade, etc). USAA also has a online trading option anyone have any experience with them? Thanks

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Looking to get into trading online. Wondering if anyone has any good gouge or horror stories about using one of the big names( Scottrade,ETrade, etc). USAA also has a online trading option anyone have any experience with them? Thanks
Scottrade is great. Low commissions, no account maintenance fees, great customer service, pretty good website.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Scottrade.....but here is the deal....you cannot daytrade and make any money unless you are starting out with 5K or more. The trade fees will diminish your profits. Your best bet right now is to max out your Roth and put it into an emerging markets fund or an international fund. PRASX and USIFX check those out....I have had awesome returns there! MAX OUT YOUR ROTH BEOFRE YOU DO ONLINE TRADING IN A BROKERAGE ACCOUNT

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
you cannot daytrade and make any money

OP didn't mention daytrading, but if that is your intention I would point out that the vast majority of day traders lose money.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Scottrade.....but here is the deal....you cannot daytrade and make any money unless you are starting out with 5K or more. The trade fees will diminish your profits. Your best bet right now is to max out your Roth and put it into an emerging markets fund or an international fund. PRASX and USIFX check those out....I have had awesome returns there! MAX OUT YOUR ROTH BEOFRE YOU DO ONLINE TRADING IN A BROKERAGE ACCOUNT
You're making a lot of assumptions here. First, you can make money daytrading starting out with less than 5K. 7 dollars is a drop in the bucket if you're making enough of a profit with each trade. I've done it. Second, he isn't even suggesting that he wants to daytrade, nor am I recommending it. Third, you're assuming that he wouldn't have a Roth with an online brokerage. I have a brokerage account and a Roth, my wife has a Roth and a rollover, and my daughter has a Coverdell Savings Account....all with Scottrade. You can invest in any number of investment vehicles in these accounts including stocks and mutual funds.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
You can't pattern day trade PERIOD unless you have MINIMUM $25,000 equity in your account.

PLUS, you have to wait for the funds to settle... so don't get into it if you don't know what you are doing.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok, so now that everyone's said their piece on day trading, which ironically isn't even something the OP was even asking about, is there any other advice for this guy about specific companies to do online trading with?

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
I use TDAmeritrade, I really like the online interface and research they provide. I've used eTrade before as well and had no problems with it.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
Do you guys have any simple trading suggestions? Like novice trading suggestions to get my feet wet. I was looking into scott trade, but I didnt really understand all the fees.

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
-Buy what you know... I never buy things if I don't understand the business.
-Be PATIENT. You aren't gonna make profits overnight most of the time.
-Don't get in over your head. If you can't afford to lose it, don't put the money out there.
-Message boards and forums are full of shit. If you take stock tips from L33tDooD!38 then you deserve to lose.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
By the way, I love these hard and fast rules.

I don't know what that is supposed to mean...

Ok, so now that everyone's said their piece on day trading, which ironically isn't even something the OP was even asking about, is there any other advice for this guy about specific companies to do online trading with?

I use E*Trade. I don't like their Power E*Trade Pro primarily b/c their charting function isn't all that great for day trading, but their customer service is pretty good and the trades get executed fast even the company isn't listed on a primary exchange, and I don't feel like opening a totally new account with AMTD or w/e just to see what Apex or w/e it is called is like.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
I use USAA and have been happy with them, though I seldom make more than a half dozen trades in a year these days.

Just personal opinion, but I work off the assumption that the institutional traders have an advantage in information that the "little guy" can never match. Keeping that in mind seems to have really helped me.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Do you guys have any simple trading suggestions? Like novice trading suggestions to get my feet wet. I was looking into scott trade, but I didnt really understand all the fees.

Learning how to read and use L2 quotes is the biggest thing in my opinion...

Also basic charting stuff like gap analysis is useful.

Best free website for longer term charts is www.stockcharts.com IMO

I'd also recommend a subscription to Value Line

tbat15

Thanks for the replies. I dont have 25000 grand to invest. Im just starting to read up on picking stocks and plan to mess around with a fake portfolio a few times before I sink any cash to see if my methods work. I fund my TSP pretty well and any cash that I would use would be semi-disposable.