• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

One very tough gal...

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
The concern of selling the Trident for money makes sense, especially after all that's happened over the last couple of years, but I don't think that's the case. If she only served a couple years and bailed, then yes, that's probably what happened. But since she did her 20, I highly doubt that's what it was, especially when you're saying you're transgender. To me, I see this as someone who has a very unique story to tell and hopes to help others in a similar situation.

SkywardET

Contrarian
The concern of selling the Trident for money makes sense, especially after all that's happened over the last couple of years, but I don't think that's the case. If she only served a couple years and bailed, then yes, that's probably what happened. But since she did her 20, I highly doubt that's what it was, especially when you're saying you're transgender. To me, I see this as someone who has a very unique story to tell and hopes to help others in a similar situation.

I'm no SEAL, so maybe I just won't get how that is offensive. I can't see too many alternatives for SEALs after their active service except to "sell the Trident for money." If they do some security consulting and get work due in part to the Trident appearing on their resume or bio, then that's essentially the same thing as a book deal--levering one's past story for earnings. I would be more worried about the fact that it is a book which can expose some things that ought not be exposed than about someone making money off of their human capital.

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
So, I finished the book a couple of days ago. I have to say that I was severely disappointed in it. First and foremost it didn't read as though it was written by her and that, for me, eroded at the whole idea that the book was written to be a guide/proof/inspiration. It read in a very biased manner--the people outside of Kris were very one dimensional, either entirely supportive or a complete a**hole. It was quite honestly poorly written in my opinion. I think she did herself a disservice by having a co-author. It muddled the voice and tone of the book. It was an interesting read, a fascinating story, and above all a nice listing of everything that she accomplished, both as a SEAL and as a MtF transgender. It leaves a bad taste in your mouth (no joke intended) with regards to having a LOT of shock factor with both SF escapades and the lifelong struggle she had.

Overall impression though? It could have been much more powerful and less "sell-out' if other writing/publishing choices had been made. Still, good for her!

Renegade One

None
So, I finished the book a couple of days ago…[book review]. Still, good for her!
Good review…thanks. In her defense as an author, not many of us are "natural writers"…co-authorship being the flavor of the day, especially if "directed" by an interested publisher.

Roger your last…good for her. Dues seem to be "Paid In Full".