• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

One very tough gal...

BackOrdered

Contributor
I don't see how that will impact transgender rules if he took hormone therapy after retiring.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
You either have no imagination or are incredibly naive about how the news media and special interest groups will use this.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
True, she has earned the right to do whatever she wants to her body, considering she served in the Navy for 20 years protecting that right for everyone else.

However, she also wrote a book about it. We don't know what the book is about. She clearly wrote it for publicity, using her service as a SEAL for shock value. Let's face it -- this wouldn't make headlines if it said "Retail store manager writes memoirs about sex change operation."

If the book's theme is about how she was oppressed for over 20 years as a woman in a man's body just so she can continue her career as a SEAL, it can make some bad waves for the Navy and is poor form.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
True, she has earned the right to do whatever she wants to her body, considering she served in the Navy for 20 years protecting that right for everyone else.

However, she also wrote a book about it. We don't know what the book is about. She clearly wrote it for publicity, using her service as a SEAL for shock value. Let's face it -- this wouldn't make headlines if it said "Retail store manager writes memoirs about sex change operation."

If the book's theme is about how she was oppressed for over 20 years as a woman in a man's body just so she can continue her career as a SEAL, it can make some bad waves for the Navy and is poor form.

Bought that new 'Jump to Conclusions' mat I see....

The one with all the conclusions on it that you jump to.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I didn't jump to any conclusions. I drew a conclusion that she was using her service as a SEAL to boost sales of her book. I drew this conclusion based on:
-The title "Warrior Princess"
-The subtitle that mentions she was a SEAL
-The picture of her on the cover when she was a he and active duty Navy.
-One generally seeks to sell as many copies of a book as possible.
-She isn't the first person to ever have a sex change operation and won't be the last; it's only her service as a SEAL that makes this situation unique enough to publish a book and write a story about it in the press.

I wouldn't exactly call it a jump to draw this conclusion...maybe more of a hop or even a half-step. If you think I should draw an alternate conclusion than that she is using her service to boost sales of a book about a subject that would normally elicit a response of 'who cares' from the press and general public, I'd like to hear it.

My last statement about impugning the Navy was an IF and directed toward the peanut gallery speculating about the Navy's reaction, some of whom thought this would make waves in the Navy and some of whom thought not. I think that it will depend on the content of her book and whether or not she is critical of the Navy. I'm not saying either way, as I obviously haven't read the book.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
She decided to tell her story, (which everyone can do)-seems obvious that a publisher would rather publish a story about a badass SEAL getting a sex-change operation, than a shoe salesman. It's just business.

As for the idea on why she wrote it-that she wrote it for "publicity"; well, what does that even mean? She wanted to get famous?

Guessing she felt that she was in turmoil during her time as a man, and now that she's free to be who she wants to be, she might want to show others who've been in her shoes that changes can be made. That they don't have to go through what she went through. The title and how it's marketed are business decisions that her publisher has a big say in.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Too bad she won't keep the sweet beard. That is an awesome downrange tuft of goodness.

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
So..I'm here in the Stan' and I come into work to find 10 copies of this story taped to my computer. I immediately declare it BS from a bunch of haters who are trying to discredit the SEAL legacy...then I read it and realize holy sh*t I used be at ST-1 with "Kristin"...

Nothing can take away his service, as he was always highly regarded as a great SEAL. After talking with some old frog friends though, the conclusion isn't in that he's transgender that causes issues, the rub is that he's pimping the Trident like every other gold digger trying to make a buck off the flavor of the month. Although he never was quite able to fill out a pair of UDT shorts...just sayin'.

Huggy, Carter Teeters says "hi". He's flying my Stearman for me this week.

MR-