• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

One mile swim

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattlowery

Can anyone who has been through API and the mile swim already elaborate a little more on the swim? The thought of it worries me. It has to be completed in 80 minutes, correct? I honestly can't imagine swimming a mile, but I know I'll have to. I've been swimming at the YMCA a little for the last month or so, but I get exhausted waaaaay before I ever get a mile in. I'm assuming you can do this in any stroke combination you want. Are there any strokes some people found more easier than others? I know for sure I could not go out and swim the entire thing freestyle, hehe. Any info is appreciated, thanks.

Matt L.

JW

Matt, I haven't been through the API swim but I swam all through high school and college so I can shed some light on how to get into good swimming shape. Basically, stretch a lot because flexibility is key. Use a kickboard and do some kick sets to pump up your legs and make your kick efficient...your legs use up the most oxygen when you're swimming so it's important to make sure they're in good kicking shape (much different than running shape). Practice a variety of strokes (even butterfly!) because it's good to get all of your muscle groups working. Also, when you're doing a swim workout don't just go non-stop...mix it up, do some sprints as well as longer distance stuff. If you or anyone else wants, I can send you some sample swim workouts that will help get you in swimming shape as well as make your swimming workouts less boring!

Edited by - jw on 03/11/2002 08:25:28

PeacoatMan

Matt,
While doing the mile swim, I think I've read you have to do it in 40 lbs of flight gear. Can one of you API folks give us the scoop?

Joey

mattlowery

any particular strategy anyone has used when doing the swim? i imagine i will have to swim on back a little to relax a bit. thanks for any feedback.

Matt L.

Kraftwerk

quote:
any particular strategy anyone has used when doing the swim? i imagine i will have to swim on back a little to relax a bit. thanks for any feedback.

Matt L.

You cannot use the backstroke when doing the mile swim, you can use the side kick on either side, the survival stroke (a modified breast stroke), crawl, butterfly or whatever as long as yer not on yer back.
K

Brooklyn

JW, I'd love to get whatever info you can send over on swimming workouts. Swimming is a serious weakness of mine and I really need to work on it. Whatever information you can post, or e-mail, is appreciated.

Does anyone know whatever happened to that dude (who posted months ago) that could not swim?

pdt1702

I am just finishing up an 8 week lap swimming class I took for 1 hour of credit. I focused on breast stroke for the most part. While I definately have improved, I doubt I could swim more than half a mile without stopping. I think one mile is 72 laps in a 25 yard pool. I'm sure after OCS I will be in better overall shape and maybe then it won't seem like an impossible task.

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
Good advice JW. I swam in college also. Here are some other tips for those of you trying to improve your swimming:

-don't rely on strength/muscle power. A more relaxed an effecient stroke might help your endurance and help you float better.
-when you need to take a breath, try rolling your body to the side (instead of lifting your head). Anytime you lift up your head, the rest of your body will tend to sink.
-try practicing swimming with a closed fist. It will be difficult and you may sink a little, but having your fists closed forces you to find the best path for your arms in the water. (Try swimming one lap with closed fists, then one lap normal and you will see what I mean).

If I was just learning to swim, I would try to swim as often as possible (maybe everyday) because getting comfortable and relaxed in the water is very important.

If there are any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

el_riddle

60 bubba
i swam throughout hi skool and intramurals in college, as well as being a life guard for a long time. i would have to say that if you wer to try and choose a stroke to get you through the swim without having much experience, i would choose the breast stroke over the side stroke or free style (front crawl). the difference is the glide. like a few others have said on this string, much of swimming is technique and knowing how to utilize the maximum distance with the minimum effort. (so i'm biased as a breast stroker all my life) however i do think though not easiest in competitive swimming, in recreational or in this case distance for newbies, the breast stroke offers the most advantages.
luke

Falcaner

DCA "Don't give up the ship"
As has been stated earlier in this post you have 80 minutes to swim the mile, and it is only in your flight suit. So it is not as hard as some people make it out to be. Frankly I found treading water for five minutes with all the gear on(flight suit, boots, SV2,gloves and helmet, ) harder then swiming a mile in my flight suit. Basicly just go at a steady pace an you be fine. Most people who fail dont fail because of time, they quit.

Gator

I'm a pretty strong swimmer and I'm comfortable in the water, so I'm not too worried about the swimming portions of API. The challenge for me will be the treading water since I sink like a rock. I'm talking complete negative buoancy. I can take the biggest breath, relax and I only hover at the surface for about two seconds. Then down I go, straight to the bottom. Aside from gaining some fat and losing some muscle is there anything that I can do to help with this problem?

mattlowery

Mari,

Is there any way you could describe the most efficient technique of doing the breaststroke? I have been doing it somewhat, but it doesn't seem like I am getting a good glide and going very far. If you want, you can email me at mattlowery@yahoo.com. Thanks!

Matt L.

Edited by - mattlowery on 03/13/2002 18:47:17

el_riddle

60 bubba
man, God bless breast strokers! i always hated when other other strokers would rip on breast stroke as being easy. as stated in the above posts, it is easy for leisure, but man, a 200m race is a different story!
anyway...as far as the treading water, i have to concur with the eggbeater method. i had an old skool instuctor when i went through and we had to tread water five or ten min. with a ten lbs. water brick out of the water. needless to say, i was in race shape then, but still, a real pain. we were taught that the egg beater method was the only method...everything else is crap. try treading for some time without your hands and you'll see the wisdom of the circular leg kick.
luke

mattlowery

for the treading, does anyone know if we can float on our backs? i've heard we can, but not sure. Thank you very much Mari for the explanation, very much appreciated! Mari, did you have any flight experience before the Navy?

Matt L.

mattlowery

Too funny Mari! Can't even drive a stick shift?? I'm not worried about the treading water and the initial swim test, moreso about the API swimming. Tonight, the company is taking me out since my last day is tomorrow, so now swimming for me tonight! I'll get some practice in over the weekend though. thanks for all the advice!

Matt L.

Status
Not open for further replies.